Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin OKeefe
United States
Tinton Falls
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My buddy and I gamers and should be able to handle it. I was thinking for our first game we would play the recommended starter setup but also play with the action cards. Any reason why this wouldn't be a good idea?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Nelson
Canada
Ladner
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Action Cards add a slight bit of complexity, and are pretty powerful effects that can change the game quite a bit. My friends and I played our first game with the full advanced rules and it wasn't that much extra overhead to use the Action Cards. I'd say if everybody's up for it, you should go for it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Hickey
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very doubtful, especially if you are experienced gamers. It adds a minor bit of complexity and the odd timing question but they also improve things. We used them from the first game on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say it makes things too complicated for newbies.

Also, the rule that the actual leader needs to be present is perhaps the easiest to overlook in the whole game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Zachary
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The notes above are good recs.

For me, I played the game several times solitaire without the Action Cards to get the hang of the other elements of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For experienced gamers, I recommend using the action cards in your first game. They add fun and surprising wrinkles to the game without much rules overhead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Go right ahead and use them.

As to the starting set up planets. I like them. The Rebellion does not start off with the ability to create star cruiser. They need to convince Corellia, Utapau, on the Mon Calamari to join there side. Very thematic in my opinion.

With the Empire, the starting planets gives them the ability to build 1 start destroyer, 1 assault carrier, 1 AT-AT, and 1 AT-ST. Very balanced builds and a planet or two that are close to the other end of the board.

I think it is good " balanced thematic" set up.

I haven't looked into troop placement yet but I feel it's a good set up

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing about the Action Cards I'd caution is that some of them, used in certain cases, have the potential for catching a player who knows nothing about them severely off guard. For example, One in a Million - an Imperial Player who knows about this card will know that if Luke or Wedge is in play that they may need to be very careful with their Death Star. Otherwise, they may not realize that the card can be an auto-kill against them.

Mechanically, though, if the group is experienced, there's no reason not to use them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have used them since the first game, and I don't think you should avoid using them unless you are playing with non-gamers that will really have a hard time grasping this game.

I would use the first time set up tho.
It doesn't neuter the game at all, and its pretty well balanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Weiss
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you've read all the rules, and followed the forums, and have a good idea what is going on in the game, and are experienced gamers, use the action cards.

If you, or the other player, lack any of the above tests, avoid them during the first game. The Imp player is already going to be handling 3 hands of cards and there are a lot of little nuances to this game. The rules seem pretty simple, but every card changes those rules slightly. The extra hand of cards and special abilities would just muddy the waters.

It's better to get a solid hang on the basic game before introducing the action cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
kmanweiss wrote:
If you've read all the rules, and followed the forums, and have a good idea what is going on in the game, and are experienced gamers, use the action cards.

If you, or the other player, lack any of the above tests, avoid them during the first game. The Imp player is already going to be handling 3 hands of cards and there are a lot of little nuances to this game. The rules seem pretty simple, but every card changes those rules slightly. The extra hand of cards and special abilities would just muddy the waters.

It's better to get a solid hang on the basic game before introducing the action cards.

My girlfriend and I are veterans of multiple Fantasy Flight games and GMT's asymmetric games (Twilight Struggle, Labyrinth, COIN series), we will just jump in feet first with action cards and see what happens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
All Hail Lelouch
mbmbmbmb
In my opinion the game is imbalanced towards the empire if you don't use action cards as the action cards tend to be more powerful for the rebels and the full game is pretty evenly balanced. Honestly it's not really complicated at all to include them. No reason not to unless you want to handicap the rebel player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mongo england
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally Agree - Although Both experienced Gamer's my friend and I played our first game as the rules suggested (without action n mission cards) The Rebels didn't have a chance - Theres no way they can bring the reputation track down to meet the time track and the longer the game goes on the bigger divide in troops and the more Leaders to move and search for the base (even after it relocated)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the no action cards on the first play balances out with the fact that every Rebel Objective will also be a surprise.

The Empire doesn't know what is possible and will give some easy points to the Rebels that a non first time Imperial player won't
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.