Popular Tags: [View All]
Razel M
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised this hasn't come up before, but I have an interesting situation.

There is a crisis where the President/Admiral must discard cards, and so must the current player. The Current Player is Athena. She chooses to use For Love, preventing one of the other player's discards, and draws a Treachery.

So my question is timing. Does Athena discard first, before drawing the Treachery gained by For Love? Or does she draw that Treachery first and is thus able to discard it for the crisis?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't remember any specific order for who needs to discard first and I don't recall things being simultaneous either.

So if the President/Admiral discards first and Athena uses For Love, Athena will have the treachery card in hand when she performs her own discard.

Other interpretations?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say go in order. If the card says "The President discards and the current player discards", then the President discards first, Athena draws one, and then Athena can discard, including the new card in hand. If it said Current Player discards at the beginning of the sentence, then I would say she could not discard the new card, as she wouldn't have it yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Razel M
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm. I looked through the crises, and here's something interesting.

Water Shortage says "The President discards 2 Skill Cards, then the Current Player discards 3 Skill Cards."

Food Shortage says "The President discards 2 Skill Cards and the Current Player discards 3 Skill Cards."

Truth and Reconciliation says "OR The President discards 2 Skill Cards, then the Current Player discards 3 Skill Cards."

It's odd that there should be a difference.

However, for those crises where players must "discard a card and draw Treachery," the ruling is that the discard happens before the Treachery draw. So I think I'm going to treat everything sequentially as Mindy said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My spot ruling is that when a crisis instructs multiple players to discard, this is a simultaneous event, therefore falls to current player's choice if order matters.

Thus, Athena could choose to have the President discard, activate For Love, then use that gained treachery when she discards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.