Five Tribes» Forums » Variants

Subject: Introductory Mancala style solo variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William Wilting
Netherlands
Vught
flag msg tools
Like the title of this topic implies, it is not meant to be another variant of the whole game of Five Tribes and all its mechanisms. It isn't even about the whole game, but just about the meeples' movement system.

Once upon a time... really, it is long ago, but I couldn't resist starting with this fairy tale-ish sentence... there was an African-Asian game (that is still being played), that was played by moving components like stones, coins or tokens around a custom made board or playing field. But moving didn't mean moving by going from one space to the next, like it is done in chess, but rather by "sowing" them one by one to the space next to the previous one, until all pieces (seeds) had been sowed. That game is famous by the name of Mancala.

Mancala is a game that you can't play solo, as far as I know. But the Mancala-ish mechanisms, which are present in Five Tribes, opens up a possibility to do so. It is just and only this system what this solo variant is about. So, forget the cards, coins, and non-meeple pieces and only use the tiles and the meeples.

Lay out the tiles and meeples as you would for a normal game of Five Tribes. Follow the rules of the "Mancala"-action of your turn, as described in the rules for Five Tribes, but ignore all point values and effects of both meeples and tiles after sowing and removing the meeples, according to the rules of Five Tribes. Start over by sowing again immediately. Try to leave as few meeples on the board as possible. Well, and that's it, nothing more, nothing less. The goal for you is to have a solo mancala game and at the same time "learn" to see how you can use the meeples on the board when you're going to play the full Five Tribes game.

Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A C
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You do know Bruno came up with a solo variant, I hope?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A C
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AernoutMJC wrote:

https://cdn1.daysofwonder.com/five-tribes/en/img/ft_solo_en....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AernoutMJC wrote:

Did you even read the first sentence of his post?

0616william wrote:
Like the title of this topic implies, it is not meant to be another variant of the whole game of Five Tribes and all its mechanisms. It isn't even about the whole game, but just about the meeples' movement system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A C
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aaj94 wrote:
AernoutMJC wrote:

Did you even read the first sentence of his post?

0616william wrote:

Did you read the last?

Quote:
Well, and that's it, nothing more, nothing less. The goal for you is to have a solo mancala game and at the same time "learn" to see how you can use the meeples on the board when you're going to play the full Five Tribes game.

Bruno's solo variant is really, very good and I don't think a better way of learning how to play is available than actually playing the game (rather than just moving meeples about).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Wilting
Netherlands
Vught
flag msg tools
I know it's not about how to learn to play Five Tribes. It wasn't even meant that way. My only intentions were to learn to deal with the chaos the board can seem like with all the meeples put on it randomly and to be able to think ahead a bit. Furthermore, this variant is more like a solo variant of Mancala, which you basically couldn't play with more or less than 2 players. This is not about how to learn playing Five Tribes, but to play with only a part of that game.

I just tried to be a little creative here...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.