Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
CanCon, BunnyCon...BorderCon!!!
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
May 2018 be all you dreamed it would be and be all that you dreamed...
mbmbmbmbmb
All of my reviews aim to offer a brief overview that allows people to get a good feel for what the game may offer them. I feel that other reviews can be sought if detailed game mechanics is what you are after.

Michael Schact returns to a previous game creation (Coloretto) for this new offering. This game reminds me of a combination of the theme from the board game Amazonas and the mechanics of Coloretto (some but not all). The result is a visually pleasing game and an equally enjoyable gaming experience.

Each player is attempting to form sets of cards and each set of cards comes in a different colour – blue, purple, beige and green. Each set of cards has 3, 4, 5 or 6 different animals and there are 5 of each animal type in the deck, making for a total of 90 cards.

Before play can begin each player takes a column card of each colour, under which the animals of the same colour will be placed. The bonus cards (1 for each colour) are set to one side in plain view and the ‘protection card’ is also set aside. The players are dealt 3 cards each and once a starting player is chosen the play can begin.

On a player’s turn they must play 1 card from their hand. They can play the card onto one of their columns (the column colour must match the card played) or onto the column of another player. Doing so will add the played animal to that player’s column. If the column receiving the animal does not already have the same animal in play already then all is well. However if they do have that animal already in play then there is trouble. The player must either discard the newly played card and its double onto the discard pile or they can choose to save their animal by sacrificing an animal in an adjacent column (plus the card that caused the trouble in the first place). Once this process has been completed the player who played the card must draw a new card to return their hand to 3 cards and the play proceeds clockwise.

The aim of the game is to complete sets as they will score points at games end. The points earned follow the same model used for Coloretto. A set must feature every animal from a given colour with beige having 3 animals, purple 4, blue 5 and green 6. Each turn requires the players to decide how best to use the cards in their possession. ‘Should I add a card to my area to go after a set or should I try to stop the progress of an opponent at the expense of advancing my cause?’ Players will often pose this question to themselves and it lends the game both offensive and defensive strategies.

To ensure that 1 player is not targeted repeatedly, a player who is given a card (and likely to lose an animal) receives the ‘Protection’ card. This now means that they cannot be given another card until someone else has been given a card, which results in the ‘Protection’ card moving on. A clever play can sometimes be to attract attention and earn the card with no intention of giving it away. This may allow a player the freedom to complete a set without the fear of attack!

The game ends when any player collects their 3rd set or the draw deck is exhausted. Points are then scored for the number of cards in collected sets, cards remaining in columns (following the same scoring model) and for bonus points. The Bonus Point cards are earned for completing the 1st set in each colour and the points on offer match the number of different animals in each set (3-6). This adds a race element to the play as well.

The Final Word

I really enjoyed the experience offered by Amazonas Coloretto and it is different enough from Coloretto to make it worthy of owning in its own right. The play moves quickly, the cards look great and many of the decisions are agonizing. Sure a fair slice of luck is needed with the card pulls but this can be said of many games. There is also some deeper strategy in playing cards to adjacent columns for no other purpose than protecting other animals should you come under attack. In short this is an enjoyable adaptation of the original game and one I will play on a regular basis as a filler game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Staudt
Germany
Rutesheim
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Coloretto Amazonas - A Light Review
Neil Thomson wrote:
To ensure that 1 player is not targeted repeatedly, a player who is given a card (and likely to lose an animal) receives the ‘Protection’ card. This now means that they cannot be given another card until they have given a card to someone else, which results in the ‘Protection’ card moving on.

This should be "This now means that they cannot be given another card until SOMEONE has given a card to someone else".

It doesn't necessarily have to be the 'protected one' that gives a card away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Coloretto Amazonas - A Light Review
ashman wrote:
Neil Thomson wrote:
To ensure that 1 player is not targeted repeatedly, a player who is given a card (and likely to lose an animal) receives the ‘Protection’ card. This now means that they cannot be given another card until they have given a card to someone else, which results in the ‘Protection’ card moving on.

This should be "This now means that they cannot be given another card until SOMEONE has given a card to someone else".

It doesn't necessarily have to be the 'protected one' that gives a card away.

Cheers - fixed that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe T
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
I just got my copy looking forward to playing. However, my English rules do not say anything about being able to play on another players column???
Also you do not mention giving a card to another player, and then that player can take or reject it. So I'm very confused now... Are there 2 different sets of rules?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jtrent620 wrote:
I just got my copy looking forward to playing. However, my English rules do not say anything about being able to play on another players column???
Also you do not mention giving a card to another player, and then that player can take or reject it. So I'm very confused now... Are there 2 different sets of rules?

Sorry Joe - I wrote this over a decade ago and don't have the rules anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Lighthouse Beach
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say I found the game very bland.

I guess that's an exaggeration. I don't have to say it at all...I choose to.

There are much better card games out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe T
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Thanks Neil. Hope designer can clear it up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.