Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: MN [+] [View All]
Scott McDonald
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I decided to take a trip for her birthday and drove 11+ hours to Minneapolis. Is there a FLGS that I should definitely go see?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sataranji
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not far from Minneapolis is a must-see - Fantasy Flight Games Center:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/more/fantasy-flight-ga...

It has a large game library, good food and plenty of friendly folks to game with -- especially on Wednesday evenings.

Also check out this map of local stores:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?hl=en&msa=0&z=9&ie=UTF8...

Enjoy your visit!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason B. Hesse
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Rufio, Rufio, Rufio!
badge
+Garbanzo Beans+
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Fantasy Flight. Having lived in the area for 7 years, this was by far the best location for playing. Gets busy on the weekends now, it seems the word is out - still a great place to visit. The Source (also in Roseville) is also decent, the host some solid groups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Larson
United States
Coon Rapids
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoy going to Fantasy Flight. Great place for food and a good board game selection to play from the wall (7 or so shelves of games you can play for free). Plus they have a great selection of games to buy (not just FFG games).

Other people I really know love Level Up. It's in the south metro, so I have not made it there before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This list has a lot of what goes on around the metro area.

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/199117/twins-cities-events...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sanchez
United States
chaska
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
smcdonald365 wrote:
My wife and I decided to take a trip for her birthday and drove 11+ hours to Minneapolis. Is there a FLGS that I should definitely go see?

If you are going for Board games specifically I would say Fantasy Flight Game center (FFGC) and Level up games. Both stores are top notch and convenient.

FFGC offers food, games, a huge selection of demo games and a fantastic space for playing.

Level up has a little more variety in product (comics, video games, an arcade that just opened up). A large nice area for gaming with a small demo selection (only small when compared to FFGC) and snacks. A bonus is that they are the only place in town (that I am aware of) that offers a discount from MSRP on all games.

FFGC has it's biggest day for gaming on wednesday but you need to be a little out going to find a group to play with. Level up is a step up on this. Monday's group is a great group of people who are very welcoming to new players. I'm not sure what week you are coming but if it is lined up with one of Level Up's Table top days (this coming Saturday is one) I would highly recommend. They have a staff of people (ok it's just Kay) making sure that everyone is welcomed to the gaming are and finds people to play with.

There are other great stores in town but I feel these two are the best two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank B
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with the guys above on this and do all my shopping at Level Up.

However, The Source must be given props for having the largest selection of games available in the Twin Cities. As far as inventory for sale goes, you just can't beat the Source.

Of course, I don't really shop there anymore (Kay can order anything I want, but usually have what I want anyway - and that awesome discount they offer at Level Up) - but it's still a great store to at least check out - especially as it's only about a mile or two from Fantasy Flight. You might as well swing by the Source when you're at the MUST VISIT place of Fantasy Flight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank B
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
smcdonald365 wrote:

Also...

11+ hours? To Minneapolis? For her birthday?

Are you trying to get her to divorce you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dunklezahn wrote:
I'm with the guys above on this and do all my shopping at Level Up.

However, The Source must be given props for having the largest selection of games available in the Twin Cities. As far as inventory for sale goes, you just can't beat the Source.

Of course, I don't really shop there anymore (Kay can order anything I want, but usually have what I want anyway - and that awesome discount they offer at Level Up) - but it's still a great store to at least check out - especially as it's only about a mile or two from Fantasy Flight. You might as well swing by the Source when you're at the MUST VISIT place of Fantasy Flight.

Agreed on all counts as well. The Source is a total geek out store, so much more than just board games. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott McDonald
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

11 hours 40 minutes from OKC to Minneapolis with two stops.

Yes, Minneapolis. We're both cold weather people and we both dislike beach vacations. We've gone to Florida and NOLA for her birthdays before and this time she wanted to go north.

When I said I wanted to go to FFGC she said, sounds good to me. After 11 years of being married she just accepts I'm a child and must but toys and games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
smcdonald365 wrote:
Quote:

11 hours 40 minutes from OKC to Minneapolis with two stops.

Yes, Minneapolis. We're both cold weather people and we both dislike beach vacations. We've gone to Florida and NOLA for her birthdays before and this time she wanted to go north.

When I said I wanted to go to FFGC she said, sounds good to me. After 11 years of being married she just accepts I'm a child and must but toys and games.

So you convinced her to go to FFGC to support your hobby when you were traveling for her birthday? Nice.

Reminds me of Valentine's Day a couple years ago when my wife and I went to Hooter's for dinner, specifically because it was the nearest sports bar to our apartment because we wanted to catch the Syracuse basketball game on ESPN that night. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott McDonald
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Made it to FFGC today. I was impressed with the selection of demo games. We tried a few and walked out with Patchwork and Five Tribes. Thank you to everyone for the assistance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls