BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: My board games rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Logan DePino
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
So This Is the board game I'm working on, are the armies rules and All around gameplay fair?.
Battle for the Milkyway
Armies

Castranos End fleet Doomsday Ability You can raid 20 currentcy from one of your opponents every turn they start with two commanders. You Must sacrafice 2 units to do so as they are the raiding force and you must roll a die to see if suceeds if it is a 1 to 3 it fails if its a 4 to 6 it suceeds.

Delta zombies Horde-Ability Each battle you win you take all of the enemies units and turn them into zombies- Negative You need inhabitad planets to be able to produce units.

Centurion Amada Alcan-You can use a opponents ability once every turn. Negative it cost a 100 credits.

Mylos colony ender. Every Planet you seize you can build a special unit called mini colony that produces 1 unit of your choosing every turn. Mini Colony cost 40 credits and if planet is retaken you lose 5 units.

Cypherio Empireous- Every system you take you get 10 credits. Negative every system you lose you lose 10 credits.

Syrax-Start with 1000 credits. every military battle you win you win 20 credits- Negative you lose 100 credits every turn and every battle you lose you lose 20 credits

Farcyrus plague. Every planet with Inhabitents you take you roll a dice and see how many free units you gain. Every units death counts as two deaths so remove two units every death.

Universal army-Every five turns you get two free units of your choice. You can not take any bonus's from planets or moons.

Sophonans-Every battle you win you gain a extra die in the next battle. Every battle you lose you remove a die from the next battle.

Rules: To Engage in combat you must move units across Movement paths to engage enemy units. To take over a system you must take the star Outpost and 75 percent of the planets or moons. Commander units can add +4 to any die of your choosing. If a commander Unit Dies you lose 100 credits and you must buy them again and each commander unit cost 500 credits. Units will suceed if they have the higher number then the enemy. Planets in a system give bonus's and moons have planets give bonus's to the planets them selfs. Inhabitated give +4 Industrial give +3 and Dead worlds give +1. Gas giants give +0 but each moon gives +1 and each planet you take adds to the systems credits you gain. Some Units have special abilitys of their own. You can convert Dead worlds into Industrial worlds if you buy a converter which cost 500 credits. Extra die allow you to roll and the number you get you can add to another one of your dies. Certain Planets or moons have a species living on them you must fight to take it. Dwarf planets give you a 0.5 in credits. To get a tech from the military tech chart you have to spend 40 credits and roll a die and the number you get determins what tech you get and your only allowed 3 techs. The More units you have you can take these units and create squads where you add the dice rolls of all units into one die but if another squads die is higher or if a units die is higher the whole squad will die 4 units=1 squad. You can garrison Units on planets and if their is a garrison on a planet you must destroy the whole garrison to take it over if their is no garrison you can take the planet without losing any soldiers. You can not attack a area that is not connected with movement paths. Industrial planets can be enhanced with Industrial Leaders which every Industrial planet you station at will give you one free unit and cost 200 credits. Some Units have bonus's that add numbers to the dice rolls . Artillery Units and Heavy armor units work if you hit 1,3,6 or any other numbers they hit and do more damage then a ground soldier
Unit List.
Universal army
Standard soldier- +0 cost 5credits
Heavy soldier-+ 2 cost 15 credits
Angel Soldier- +3 cost 75 credits
Death soldier-+ 4 200 credits
Plasma Soldier+3 and kills two units instead of one 140 credits
Medic troop-+0 can prevent a death of one unit every battle. 100 credits \
Sniper troop- -1 to each dice Can kill one unit before any combat occurs once the unit is engaged with other units can only be used once a battle -200 credits
scout troop- +1 to every die – cost 160 credits
Vehicles
Tide Turner Artillery- hits on a 1 or a 5 but can kill 6 units but can only be used once a battle- cost 250 credits.
Fire hammer Artillery- Hits on a 6 and kills 12 units cost 600 credits

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Logan DePino
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
Are the rules and armies balanced though?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Nyberg
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doomsdaybazooka wrote:
Are the rules and armies balanced though?

You will only know that if you playtest it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Logan DePino
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
Its kinda like risk everybody starts with one star system and you conquer the galaxy so its everybody vs everybody.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Logan DePino
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
Well will you two play test my game with me? I don't have a map yet I can get started on one and the unit list are not complete yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 912806. Doomsdaybazooka
  • 1d100 =
  • (34) =
  • Mon Jun 6, 2016 8:36 pm
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Doomsdaybazooka wrote:
Well will you two play test my game with me? I don't have a map yet I can get started on one and the unit list are not complete yet.

You are way too early to even start playtesting.

Without every component, and without having messed up every situation yourself, you're not ready to have someone else look at it.

Take the following concept:

To attack, roll 1D6. To defend, total 2D6. If attack is higher than defend, you hit. There are 3 attackers and 1 defender. The attackers die on 1 hit, defenders on 3. Is it balanced?

Depends. If all 3 attackers attack at once from different sides, of if one at a time down a corridor. Does the defender get to roll each time or just defend once? Flanking?

Without ALL the rules AND a map, playtesting is way too far away to be of use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Logan DePino
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
My system works as who ever has the higher number wins but doesn't mean somebody who rolls a 6 lets say a foot soldier rolled a 6 but a syrax soldier rolled a 5 but got a +4 so you add the 4 to the 5 and you get 9 so the syrax unit kills the foot soldier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you designing this for your pleasure, or is the aspiration to find a publisher and sell it to the public?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Without ALL the rules AND a map, playtesting is way too far away to be of use.

That very much depends on your definition of playtesting.

Putting together a mini-map and incomplete set of components and trying out a few battles against yourself is playtesting.

Trying out an incomplete game with a couple of friends who accept that you are changing the rules as you go along is playtesting.

You can (and probably should) do a lot of playtesting before your game is complete.

BUT

If you want to get people who you don't know personally to test your game, you need to make it as easy for them as possible and as likely to be enjoyable for them as you can.

You might also increase your chances of getting people to help if you help other people first.

Good luck, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Logan DePino
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
Self Pleasure mostly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen Hendrix
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
The balancing of units cost vs. unit effectiveness is based on many factors: how easy it is to create units, whether they require food or other supplies every turn, and how multiple units face off in combat.

If I can buy as much units as I want every turn, I would much rather have four +2 Heavy units than one +3 Angel. Especially if I can combine the four +2 into one unit (4d6+8 beats 1d6+3).

Then again, if each unit requires 10 credits of supplies each turn, or if there are strict limits on army size, having a single +3 unit might be a much better choice.

If all units involved in a combat get to add their die roll results together, many weak units seems much better, and also better protected against snipers and artillery. But if units face-off one by one, or if a group's strength is largely determined by its strongest single component, expensive strong units seem better.

But never mind all that. If you want to know whether the units and armies are balanced, start doing some playtests. Just ignore the planet and productions stuff for now, and play some small battles against yourself.

How many Standards does it take to take on a Death soldier? Is one Death plus two medics as good as two Deaths? Is one Heavy plus two medics as good as 10 Heavies? Just try lots of combinations and you'll quickly get an understanding of how strong units and their combinations are.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Logan DePino
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
Uh... you don't add the dice together at least you form squads then you add all the + numbers onto one dice roll also artillery and vehicles work different then ground units that they can only be used once or twice a battle and you have to hit a specific number on the die.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Logan DePino
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
I Actually have made a new rule you can only buy 14 units a turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doomsdaybazooka wrote:
Self Pleasure mostly.

blushwowwhistle

OK.........well fill your boots pal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Nyberg
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doomsdaybazooka wrote:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/forum/1530034/boardgamegeek/se...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Logan DePino
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
So what would your strategy be as each race if you played the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Lewis
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Doomsdaybazooka wrote:
So what would your strategy be as each race if you played the game.

You are asking questions that would easily be answered by gathering playtest data. As someone who has created a miniatures game, you can't really rely on the advice given in a forum.

You need to run your own playtest sessions and then you need to run some blind playtest sessions once you think the game is ready for a broader audience. That is the only way to truly understand your own game and get the appropriate answers to the questions you have been asking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Nyberg
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doomsdaybazooka wrote:

Dude, you should know that most people on this forum are only browsing the internet for leisure, not for helping the dozens of people on this forum who ask for playtesters. I for one am busy with my own game designs and the precious few hours I can get for playtesting I would much rather spend on my own games than for some random person on the internet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Nyberg
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, there's a "Seeking Playtesters" subforum under the Game Design forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Logan DePino
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
Alright thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.