Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Timothy Yordy
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played a makeshift Overlord battle earlier using bits and pieces from the base game and a couple expansions along with the Desert/Winter board.

It was great fun so I immediately began to think that getting Operation Overlord made sense. Until I read on the DoW website that it comes with no maps and is designed to be played with the Battle Map series of Overlord maps....which all seem to be out of print. So what is the point of this expansion without access to those maps?

"Combined with an original copy of Memoir '44, this expansion includes all the material required to play Overlord games." - but you would need a second board...

I'm just confused. I want to do more Overlord scenarios but maybe I am misunderstanding something because it doesn't appear that there is an easy way to do that.

Thanks for any input. And as an extra question, how well does this work with just two players? My makeshift attempt I just used standard rules but allowed for 2 additional units to be activated per card used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually 2 base game sets are enough... Having 2 of each army expansion and 2 w/d boards doesn't hurt.

The battle maps play fine with either deck but the Overlord deck is likely preferred by most.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart de Groot
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Operation Overlord allow you to cut down on the "bits and pieces" borrowing to play an Overlord. It provides cardboard unit chits, extra dice, and Overlord card deck to add to your base game materials and Desert/Winter board. Using those you can play Overlord scenarios as found on the Days of Wonder scenario database website. I would strongly recommended getting the Overlord card deck if you want to play Overlord games. Some of the Battle Maps scenario setups are available on the Days of Wonder website, so you could recreate the setup, although I expect you will run out of terrain tiles (I have the Battle Maps, and in VASSAL I get unlimited terrain tiles, so I haven't counted).

substandardtim wrote:
And as an extra question, how well does this work with just two players? My makeshift attempt I just used standard rules but allowed for 2 additional units to be activated per card used.

Overlord plays great with 8 players or with 2 players. There are many players that prefer playing Overlord and/or with 2 players. Just use the Overlord rules, and play for each of the 3 Fields Generals on your side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Oliver
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm still a bit lost. I'd like to play Overlord scenarios but, with the battle maps unavailable, there seems no point in buying the expansion. I do own the Breakthru' maps - will these allow me to play if I get the Overlord Expansion set?

And is there anywhere I can get the card deck alone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rickard
Sweden
Växjö
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
There are a few overlord scenarios available online: https://www.daysofwonder.com/memoir44/en/content/scenarioapp... (show only overlord). You don't have to have the OOP battle maps to play overlord, as long as you have two boards.

You cannot buy the deck by itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mike0liver wrote:
I'm still a bit lost. I'd like to play Overlord scenarios but, with the battle maps unavailable, there seems no point in buying the expansion. I do own the Breakthru' maps - will these allow me to play if I get the Overlord Expansion set?

And is there anywhere I can get the card deck alone?

There are several Overlord scenarios. The various expansion packs most have an Overlord scenarios, and, was was posted, there are several available online. The battlemaps are absolutely not necessary to the play Overlord scenarios, with the sole exception of the Operation Market Garden scenario (from Tigers in the Snow).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are some (increasingly jury-rigged) ways of using Operation Overlord:

1) Buy the Battle Maps. Of those, Khalkhin-Gol is the only one that's likely available, although more may be printed (it's supposedly the first of a second set).

2) Buy a second base game to get a second board, and play Overlord scenarios from expansions or the website.

3) Find a friend who owns a base game and play Overlord scenarios.

4) Buy a winter/desert board and use that as the second-half of your map. It will look like poop, but it will serve.

5) Print off your own Overlord maps! Expensive, I'd imagine.

6) Print off your own second board! Expensive and ugly-looking, I'd imagine.

If you're not going to do any of those things, then Operation Overlord would be a total waste of money. (I feel like maybe there are some Breakthrough maps that require more pieces than typical, but I'm not sure, and they can't be that numerous.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob H
msg tools
I recently picked up a copy of D-Day Landings, and also have Breakthrough - do either of these give me the maps I need for Overlord?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.