9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Discussing Retailers

Subject: The Painful Silence of the Absent Seller rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Arnott
msg tools
Just a quick Monday-morning beef..!!

The one thing, in fact the only thng, that really annoys me on BGG is finding a game in the Geek Market that I really want, placing the order / expressing an interest and enquiring about postage...then getting NO reply!!

Three times I have tried to purchase games, 2 of which were from businesses, and the transactions are cancelled because the offering-party can't be bothered to reply.

If you no longer have it, remove it, and if you have no interest in selling it, don't advertise it...

That's all..

Slippery!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to every buy-sell-dump site ever :/

I've got the same issue with a local site for all sorts of used (or even new) items, where I never get a reply, or the reply is that they sold the item a month ago (seriously!), or when I'm trying to GIVE AWAY something the ad requesting donations is just silently removed. Still have a pile of fully usable computer hardware if a school is in dire need…

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've listed an item and had it up there for a year with no one asking about it. When somebody bought it I had completely forgotten that I had even put it up.

The person you "bought" from probably has had it up for a while and forgot about it. Maybe they've started using the site less and just didn't remember to take it down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Before every trade request or when I want to buy something, I always check out the seller/trader's BGG page - if he hasn't logged on in the last couple of days I don't even bother.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
eddy_sterckx wrote:
Before every trade request or when I want to buy something, I always check out the seller/trader's BGG page - if he hasn't logged on in the last couple of days I don't even bother.
Which has been a huge problem with BGG item selling forever. The fact that BGG will happily keep your item listed for literally years. You may have already traded the game, or sold the game, or maybe the game was lost in a flood, or maybe you died like 5 years ago but your zombie game-selling lives on. At any rate, it's pretty painful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Game Steward
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The fact that 2 of the non responsive sellers represented themselves as businesses is disappointing. Even though we are just a 1.5 persons operation, we do our best to respond within 2 hours during the week, and 24 hours on the weekend.

Having said that, mistakes do happen in terms of inventory being sold through other channels, and not updating BGG listings right away. It's one of the challenges of using BGG as part of multi channel sales operation. But at least we respond right away when it happens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Hudson
United States
Washington
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for reminding me i needed to update my craigslist sale by removing one of the games that sold over the weekend. :)

See...some of us are good... :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Davej360 wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
I've listed an item and had it up there for a year with no one asking about it. When somebody bought it I had completely forgotten that I had even put it up.

The person you "bought" from probably has had it up for a while and forgot about it. Maybe they've started using the site less and just didn't remember to take it down.

Except that you should get an email so you don't even need to check the site.
Not everybody has that set up. And if you set it up years ago, it might go to an old email. Or maybe it goes to a spam filter. Or maybe the guy you're buying from died of cancer last year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.