Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
31 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

War of the Ring (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: War of the ring, how to upgrade or not?! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
georgios
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i might get first edition and i have some questions. i found some of the answers here and there but not all. here we go...

1. do i need 2nd edition upgrade. does second edition changes make the game better?
2. how to do a homemade upgrade kit? its not easy to find/buy it in my country
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heikki Laakkonen
Finland
Jyväskylä
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kukugames wrote:
1. do i need 2nd edition upgrade. does second edition changes make the game better?


No, you do not need the 2nd edition upgrade (to play the 1st edition as the 2nd edition). Having played only the 2nd edition I would never go back and play with the 1st edition rules, the changes are that good.

kukugames wrote:
2. how to do a homemade upgrade kit. its not easy to find/buy it in my country


Download and print the 2nd edition rulebook and note the changes. I guess the easiest thing is to sleeve the cards and add a hint sheet in the ones that have been changed.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you can still get upgrade kits. Check Amazon.

Making your own upgrade means you will not be able to use the cards from the expansions.

All in all it would probably be easier and perhaps even cheaper to buy the 2nd edition.

I have the first edition with the upgrade kit and the LOME expansion. I also have the first edition expansion. Having played both versions I would definitely recommend 2nd edition even if 1st edition is both good and playable!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a 55-year old with 55-year old eyes, I can say the larger cards of the 2nd edition make a big difference to me. If you and your opponents all have young eyes, they may not matter as much to you.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuck reaume
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless you're getting an unbelievable offer on the 1st edition, I would strongly suggest going with the 2nd edition.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
georgios
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i will get this game from a trade. second edition is not an option

Mattias wrote:
Making your own upgrade means you will not be able to use the cards from the expansions.
even if i print and sleeve all second edition cards?

Mattias wrote:
All in all it would probably be easier and perhaps even cheaper to buy the 2nd edition.
printing and sleeving the cards is not enough? i dont mind to have a black white paper prints on good sleeves

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Hanson
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kukugames wrote:
i will get this game from a trade. second edition is not an option

Mattias wrote:
Making your own upgrade means you will not be able to use the cards from the expansions.
even if i print and sleeve all second edition cards?

Mattias wrote:
All in all it would probably be easier and perhaps even cheaper to buy the 2nd edition.
printing and sleeving the cards is not enough? i dont mind to have a black white paper prints on good sleeves



The second edition cards are physically bigger than the first edition cards.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
georgios
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bigger sleeves? smaller printings?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kukugames wrote:
bigger sleeves? smaller printings?

I suppose anything is possible.

It comes down to this - to play the second edition you need the second edition cards. They are larger than first edition and of an odd size. The new expansions (LOME and the upcoming WOME) are only compatible with second edition (card size and rules wise).

First edition is fine as a game and could be expanded with the first edition expansion (which is radically different from the new expansions, although some models are the same sculpts).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heikki Laakkonen
Finland
Jyväskylä
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kukugames wrote:
bigger sleeves? smaller printings?


You could do that but the 1st edition cards in sleeves for the 2nd edition cards would not be pretty. And I think there are no files to print the new cards.

However there is more than enough to play in the 2nd edition alone, you can have limitless of great gaming experiences without the expansions. And when you do get the urge for even more, just get the 2nd edition and its expansions.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
In Time
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
reemer wrote:
Unless you're getting an unbelievable offer on the 1st edition, I would strongly suggest going with the 2nd edition.
+1
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Non fui, fui, non sum, non curo
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's all relative. You don't need 2nd edition to enjoy this great game. But, recognize that there is a difference in valuation among the two editions. As you are probably already aware, there are some slight improvements to the 2nd edition, so hence it's valued more. If you can make a good trade for the earlier edition, then go for it. You can even incorporate some of the rules changes into the first edition, such as the extra dwarven figure in Erebor and not requiring FSP to be hidden to declare in Mordor.

The dice and Nazgul are better in the earlier edition.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
georgios
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb


Hessen wrote:
However there is more than enough to play in the 2nd edition alone, you can have limitless of great gaming experiences without the expansions
you mean, I can use second edition rules without the cards? just use the improvements of the rules?


Mattias wrote:

The new expansions (LOME and the upcoming WOME) are only compatible with second edition (card size and rules wise).
most expansions add complexity. is 2nd edition expansion important improvement to the experience and why? i dont want to add more complexity to an already complex game
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
Germany
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kukugames wrote:


Hessen wrote:
However there is more than enough to play in the 2nd edition alone, you can have limitless of great gaming experiences without the expansions
you mean, I can use second edition rules without the cards? just use the improvements of the rules?


Mattias wrote:

The new expansions (LOME and the upcoming WOME) are only compatible with second edition (card size and rules wise).
most expansions add complexity. is 2nd edition expansion important improvement to the experience and why? i dont want to add more complexity to an already complex game


It's fun to play with the expansion, but it is not in any way necessary. It does add complexity, just as you suspected.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heikki Laakkonen
Finland
Jyväskylä
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kukugames wrote:
you mean, I can use second edition rules without the cards? just use the improvements of the rules?


Yes, you can use the 1st edition cards with the 2nd edition rules well enough with little effort (sleeves and added hint sheets). If you have not already checked the differences between the edition, you can do that here: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/738666/2nd-edition-review-s....
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kukugames wrote:


Hessen wrote:
However there is more than enough to play in the 2nd edition alone, you can have limitless of great gaming experiences without the expansions
you mean, I can use second edition rules without the cards? just use the improvements of the rules?


Mattias wrote:

The new expansions (LOME and the upcoming WOME) are only compatible with second edition (card size and rules wise).
most expansions add complexity. is 2nd edition expansion important improvement to the experience and why? i dont want to add more complexity to an already complex game

Yes the game is complex and yes the expansions add complexity. That said there are much more complex games and complexity is always relative.

I was more after stating what you needed to ensure compatibility if you wanted to expand down the road.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
georgios
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hessen wrote:
kukugames wrote:
you mean, I can use second edition rules without the cards? just use the improvements of the rules?


Yes, you can use the 1st edition cards with the 2nd edition rules well enough with little effort

1. so the biggest improvements lie on the rules and not the cards?
2. i already checked this comparison. but since i dont know the game i cant understand the rule changes. no details about the cards balancing are explained
2.1 new rules improve upon balance or ways to win?
2.2 new cards rules improve upon balance or ways to win?




Mattias wrote:
I was more after stating what you needed to ensure compatibility if you wanted to expand down the road.
i have complex and simple games i rarely go for expansions. only if there is a significant improvement. is this the case? i mostly pick expansion if they effectively add extra players.


Mattias wrote:
It comes down to this - to play the second edition you need the second edition cards. They are larger than first edition and of an odd size. The new expansions (LOME and the upcoming WOME) are only compatible with second edition (card size and rules wise).
just to make sure. here you meant that i need cards only to play with expansions? as hessen said its playeble to use rules of the second edition only, without the cards. i want both opinions about that

thank for the great help. you are making clear so many hard to find details!!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heikki Laakkonen
Finland
Jyväskylä
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, for the new player the subtle rule and card changes propably do not say much, to understand them and their importance would need a few plays. In short they just make the game more balanced by easing the Free Peoples to destroy the ring while making it a bit harder for Sauron to sweep over the Middle-earth.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanasis Patsios
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Georgios, noone is gonna tell you what you should do. Ultimately, WotR first edition was (and is) an awesome game. Its success insured there was a second and slightly improved edition. The improvements are small and subtle and are mainly felt by people that have more than 15-20 plays under their belt. Noone will be able to give you a detailed review of them, since you haven't yet played the game nor read the rules. I doubt you would completely understand them without having played the game, even if you read the rules.

If getting the second edition isn't an option, go for the first one. Play it (I mean, people were doing that and were having a blast for years before the 2nd edition was made!) and then, read about the changes. There won't be an easy way to incorporate them "P&P style", but, again, since getting the 2nd edition or the upgrade kit isn't an option, it will come down to whether or not you're up to the task.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
georgios
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks naso, but i got my answers without the need of a detailed review.

Hessen wrote:
In short they just make the game more balanced by easing the Free Peoples to destroy the ring while making it a bit harder for Sauron to sweep over the Middle-earth.
new card or new rules are more effective in that? or it splits equally?

(this sound interesting and important change and since this kind of game wont hit the table too often it might be important to use this changes from the start)


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Non fui, fui, non sum, non curo
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kukugames wrote:
Hessen wrote:
In short they just make the game more balanced by easing the Free Peoples to destroy the ring while making it a bit harder for Sauron to sweep over the Middle-earth.
new card or new rules are more effective in that? or it splits equally?

(this sound interesting and important change and since this kind of game wont hit the table too often it might be important to use this changes from the start)

As was stated earlier, you won't even notice any issues in your first 15-20 games (if that even). So, if it won't hit the table very often, as you say, then don't even worry about these changes and get the first edition as you planned.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heikki Laakkonen
Finland
Jyväskylä
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kukugames wrote:

Hessen wrote:
In short they just make the game more balanced by easing the Free Peoples to destroy the ring while making it a bit harder for Sauron to sweep over the Middle-earth.
new card or new rules are more effective in that? or it splits equally?


Let's say they are equally effective.

What comes to cards the changes in character cards (e.g. the Witch-king and Gandalf) are more important than the changes in event cards. Rule adjustments are mainly about the hunting of the Fellowship.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
georgios
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hessen wrote:
kukugames wrote:

Hessen wrote:
In short they just make the game more balanced by easing the Free Peoples to destroy the ring while making it a bit harder for Sauron to sweep over the Middle-earth.
new card or new rules are more effective in that? or it splits equally?


Let's say they are equally effective.

What comes to cards the changes in character cards (e.g. the Witch-king and Gandalf) are more important than the changes in event cards. Rule adjustments are mainly about the hunting of the Fellowship.
great infos Hessen. i know now everything i needed. you where fantastic help. i cant thank you enough
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
georgios
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
does anyone know how manybare the new crads in second edition?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
georgios
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
got the game. managed to upgrade everything easy enough. thanks to your helpful infos

fantastiq game

the only problem is the card timing numbers. i sapose there was no prediction of such a thing in the first edition

do you know where to find those info?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.