Stephen M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NEXT SESSION >>> Wednesday June 8, 2016.
GAMES >>> There are usually 50-100 games to choose from.
WHERE? >>> THE LOUNGE of the Canadian Legion Branch 351 - Centertown, 330 Kent Street (The Montgomery Legion)
WHEN? >>> Gaming starts at 6pm and goes until 10
PARKING: Kent St. has parking, as well as the nearest side streets which are Gilmour, Maclaren, Cooper and Lisgar. They are ALL one-way streets.

3rd Annual Military Hobby Show

I will be at the Holland Armoury (2100 Walkley) on Sunday, June 12 from 10am - 4pm to promote the club. Please consider dropping by to say Hi!, have some delicious BBQ, and browse the military junkgoods for sale. meeple

- Stephen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Pilot
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is James planning to bring Nippon? If yes, I am interested in trying it out. I am mentioning it because I might be a little late because of a dentist appoitment, but am really interested in trying it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James E
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pepilot wrote:
Is James planning to bring Nippon? If yes, I am interested in trying it out. I am mentioning it because I might be a little late because of a dentist appoitment, but am really interested in trying it...

I'll bring it. And I'll even try to teach it too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Pilot
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MisplacedWorker wrote:
I'll bring it. And I'll even try to teach it too!

Not straightforward to teach, I presume. Sine I saw you had it last week, I have been reading the rules sand without the board in front of me, I am sure I missed some intricacies. Looking forward to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, James did teach Patrick and me Nippon. There was tons going on in this game and lots of ways to score points with the player getting to choose the weights they applied to each scoring category. I went in with no strategy in mind and it showed. I did build a nice engine but my focus on that put me a little behind on the area control aspect of the game which offered tons of points and which James exploited on his way to a very impressive victory over Patrick and me.

Next, I introduced the "classic" version of Quadropolis to Steve, Frank and James. Steve went heavy into harbors, Frank focused on public buildings, James was well-balanced, while I focused on towers and markets. Diversity proved to be the key as James took the win with Steve nipping at his heels. This is a gateway level game but there are some interesting decisions to be made as you have to balance the resources you collect from placing buildings with the resources you need to use for activate buildings for scoring. Excess resources count against your score.

Lots of other great games were being played. I noticed K├Ânig von Siam, Kingsburg, Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar, Ground Floor and others being played.

See you all next week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Pilot
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to James for patiently teaching us Nippon (although I may have been a little impatient at times - sorry). Very fun games that I'd like to see hit the table again in the future. There is certainly a way to get a better engine (pun intended) running than the one I built...

I should mention that I also taught Wendy and Danny Harbour, a simple worker placement game where you can gain/trace resources with a (very) dynamic market. It was fun and lasted about 45 minutes with Danny winning handily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We did end up playing one rule in Nippon wrong. When satisfying demand in a region you don't have to exceed the number printed on the board for the good. So, if paper were the "3" good you can still cover it with a "1" influence tile. The only time you have to exceed the number is if you bump someone. So, if someone already has placed a "3" influence tile for paper in a region you would need to place a "4" to bump it off, which, in this example, you can't since you can only place a maximum "3" influence for paper. But, for paper you could replace a "2" with a "3". Costly, but you could do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Pilot
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jhaimowitz wrote:
We did end up playing one rule in Nippon wrong. When satisfying demand in a region you don't have to exceed the number printed on the board for the good. So, if paper were the "3" good you can still cover it with a "1" influence tile. The only time you have to exceed the number is if you bump someone. So, if someone already has placed a "3" influence tile for paper in a region you would need to place a "4" to bump it off, which, in this example, you can't since you can only place a maximum "3" influence for paper. But, for paper you could replace a "2" with a "3". Costly, but you could do it.

And that singlehandedly explains why I lost! whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pepilot wrote:
jhaimowitz wrote:

And that singlehandedly explains why I lost! whistle

That's what I was thinking since I couldn't place my paper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James E
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jhaimowitz wrote:

Guess we need a rematch then!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Pilot
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MisplacedWorker wrote:
jhaimowitz wrote:

Guess we need a rematch then!

Challenge accepted!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.