Canada
Fort Smith
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
Be seeing you... -Alphonse
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Howdy.

Someone today mentioned a miniatures ruleset to me called Limeys & Slimeys, but I can't seem to find any such thing in the BGG database. Does anyone know if this game is known by another name, or if it's simply not yet in the database?

Thanks.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
These were the guys that used to make it, but I don't see it on their site anymore:

http://www.outlandgames.net/index.htm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael R
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.trumpeterclub.com/media/LIMEYS_&_SLIMEYS.doc

Is this it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael, that's the updated L&S.

L&S was originally an 8 1/2" x 11" booklet of four pages, if I remember correctly, which came shrink-wrapped to the cardboard backing for "Limeys & Slimeys" 15mm hard-foam ships marketed by Minifigs. The booklet was professionally printed with dark blue or black ink and featured a small picture or two at the top of the first page along with the title. The "Limeys & Slimeys" packages included the ship hull in one piece, an unpainted crew of pirates or sailors in 15mm lead, along with ship's guns and, in later versions, cast-metal attachments for yardarms.

The mast parts were wooden dowels of various sizes with wood or metal fighting tops (mast platforms). The purchaser had to provide sails, and since boarding actions and removing crew and guns as casualties played a big role, most gamers either ignored sails or furled them to the yardarms (kleenex or scrap bedsheet bits were commonly used).

Ships ranged from small one-masted cutters up to a 32-gun frigate, which could be expanded into a 44 by an enterprising gamer with an X-acto razor saw and some modeling confidence using one hull cut in two with a midship section from a second hull (the scrap bow and stern were good for sinking ship markers).

The game was very popular in the early '90s at HMGS cons where it was not unusual to see 15 or 20 ships in action at once. It was very much a convention-fun, beer & pretzels system.

My understanding is that at least some of these are available again as indicated in the version of the rules you referred to. Good fun! I started accumulating the ships to use with a scaled-up "Broadsides & Boarding Parties" system (with extra card decks) but never quite got the project finished when they became hard to find around the year 2000.

I hope they make a comeback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"To be honorable and just is our only defense against men without honor or justice." -Diogenes of Sinope
badge
"Today is the yesterday you won't be able to remember tomorrow" -Pinkwater
mbmbmbmbmb
Barry has it right, though I'm not sure how long/short the rules were. I used to have the rules and two ships, but only played at conventions with other people's much fancier ships/men, so sold them long ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talbot
Canada
Fort Smith
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
Be seeing you... -Alphonse
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the information. It's handy.

My question wasn't really answered, though, but I'm getting the feeling that it's simply not yet in the BGG database.

Thanks.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.