Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
I will find Myntokk and I will eat him.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey,

I am four games sessions into this now, and I am 1-3.

I am not complaining about the record, I am just wondering what is typical for this game.

For the record, all of my games have been 2 player games, and all of the games have been on the first scenario against the Children of Typhon.

In the first scenario, we just kept getting overwhelmed by the Corrupted Animals. The difficult terrain makes it impossible to out run them, and the diagonal adjacency allows them to cover huge distances each activation.

Of course, the need to search exacerbates things, bringing us into direct conflict with them over and over.

A few times we actually split up which just made matters worse.

The recon deck can be extremely brutal as well. 10 of the 30 cards are bad events, and the random build of that deck can make that rough.

Also, the actual discovery cards in that first scenario are "bad" as well. One of them gets you ambushed and unable to take actions until your friend saves you. That is pretty rough.

Personally, I think it is just a function of 2 players in that first scenario, which requires a lot of search actions. That first scenario, with the difficult terrain, the 2 players, and the large number of searches, is just inherently rough.

Anyhow, what do you all think?

Am I doing something wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd France
United States
flag msg tools
IF ONLY I had a plan...
badge
The lesser of two evils?
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: DIfficulty of Game
Yes, first scenario is rough, particularly due to the map. If you want to try to beat the game on your own terms, try out one of the other Operations that doesn't use the woods for it's first mission, and don't read the rest of this post.

If possible never use your action to search; that's what Patty is for. And if you can manage it, do your searches on the first turn of the round as well.

And yeah, NEVER split up.

Also, always keep in mind the cost of killing a monster. You don't really gain much by killing them so sometimes the best plan is to save the cards for damage buffer and let them hit you. This can be a particularly good plan if it's setting you up for a board-clearing tactic on the next turn.

Are you taking Rat with the "Parry" focus (remember that one is not once per turn, like "Dodge")? Frankly, I believe that would help a bunch if you aren't already doing it.

The team I would pick to slog through this scenario is Rat w/ Parry ,and Sunny with the Focus which lets him give 2 cards to another player. Then you're looking at 4 Minions on the board, averaging 2 damage each, against a Rat with 7 cards, re-rolls for above average attacks, and reactions to prevent attacks. If he can play one of those per turn, that's 6 cards to absorb 3 re-rollable attacks. And you've still got Sunny to take the occasional hit if you need a little extra. Now when you get bogged down by all the Corrupted Animals, you can ride it out until one of your guys draws their good Tactic; each of them has one which should straight up clear the board at 2 player, which will give you a turn to move without obstacles. Just be careful about your searches with a full Spawn Pool; no reason...

On turns when you can manage to keep only 2 corrupted Animals on you, you might be able to make come use of Sunny's aid reaction (can't remember the name) to advance a square while you'd be otherwise pinned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd France
United States
flag msg tools
IF ONLY I had a plan...
badge
The lesser of two evils?
mbmbmbmbmb
A little disappointed you didn't get more replies...

did you try again?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did play it 1 more time.

This time, it was a 3 player game and we did win. That said, several times, we were on our last legs, a single die roll from death. By that, I mean 1 in six regarding the special ability die of the corrupted animal.

Also, last turn, we won with the use of our tactical card granting the free move, enabling us to exit off the map, our leader with no cards in hand.

That last move included getting our marksman out from under the rubble of a building that collapsed on him.

Rough first scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ghbell wrote:
I did play it 1 more time.

This time, it was a 3 player game and we did win. That said, several times, we were on our last legs, a single die roll from death. By that, I mean 1 in six regarding the special ability die of the corrupted animal.

Also, last turn, we won with the use of our tactical card granting the free move, enabling us to exit off the map, our leader with no cards in hand.

That last move included getting our marksman out from under the rubble of a building that collapsed on him.

Rough first scenario.

But sounds like a great story.

Jorune
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd France
United States
flag msg tools
IF ONLY I had a plan...
badge
The lesser of two evils?
mbmbmbmbmb
ghbell wrote:
Rough first scenario.

Yep. I'm betting you'll find the second scenario easier, especially now that you can make reliable use of Rat's Dodge. Sonny has a great upgrade Reaction that allows you to give 2 cards to another character. It really facilitates any plans involving 1 character taking the brunt of attacks. But it sounds like you didn't even use him last game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not last game. My group likes to rotate. It was good fun. We got very, very, lucky, so those die rolls were great moments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.