Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Gibson
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From recall in last nights game, the German opponent played a card that removes all Russian armies from three countries. As the Russians, I had one army in Russia, Ukraine and the Balkans including an air unit in the Balkans. My questions are:

1) As Russia, having no response and after removing the Russian army units, does the Russian air unit remain in the Balkans until the Russians have, in their next turn, an opportunity to build an army in the Balkans? 2) Note that the Germans have an air unit in Germany. As I'm still fuzzy about the Air Marshall rules, could Germany remove their air to force the removal of the Russian air unit in the Balkans?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Gibson
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I just figured it out in the rules - Page 8 states: "If at any time your Air Force is in a space without an Army or Navy, you must immediately move it to an adjacent space occupied by your supplied Army or Navy."

So, because Germany played a card that specifically removes land units, I cannot remove the air unit in that particular country and leave the land unit there. I must remove the land units, then relocate the air unit from the Balkans to another Russian supplied country.

On page 9 there is an example that states: "When you Army or Navy would be removed from a board due to a battle, you may remove an Air Force from the same country in the same space instead... A battle to me is provoked by a "Land Battle/Sea Battle" card, and not the card that the German opponent played.

Please let me know if I am incorrect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Anastasia
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that Broad Front is the only card that does what you describe, so I'll assume that is the card being played. For reference, broad front says:
Broad Front wrote:
German Event: Battle up to 3 Soviet Armies that were adjacent to your Armies at the beginning of your turn.
In QMG, a battle is provoked not only by a Land Battle/Sea Battle card, but by any card that uses the literal word "Battle". Cards that use the word "Eliminate" do not provoke a battle. Because Broad Front says "battle up to 3...", the soviets are entitled to respond to each of the three battles with air defense if Air Forces are present, and the Germans are likewise allowed to use air attack if German Air Forces are available to do so. Cards that use the word "Eliminate" do not provoke a battle event, and Air Defense cannot be used in that case.

Note that the 3 battles from Broad Front happen in whatever order the German Player wishes, and that order is likely to impact the options related to air forces. For example, if the German player chooses to battle Balkans, then Ukraine, then Russia, the Soviet player could never use air defence, moving the Air force after each battle, and end up with the Air Force over Moscow. If the German player instead chooses to battle Ukraine, then Balkans, then Russia, the Air Force in the Balkans has no place to go, so the Soviet player will basically be forced to use Air Defense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.