Jon Zug
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
Board Gamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought MG:MG when it came out as I am a fan of the area games, and they seem to have gotten better with each new rendition of the format. Breakout: Normandy was and remains one of my favorites, so I was looking forward to Market-Garden done in this format as it is my favorite battle of WWII. Unfortunately the game languished on my shelf until 2006 when I was able to get to it, read the rules, get the updated rules and try my hand seriously at the game. I have had about six plays now, with the slight majority played as the allied player, and I have to say that I haven't won a game yet as the allies. I'm finding the game tough on the allies, as it should be. There was a reason Boy Browning said, "I always thought we tried to go a bridge too far", and Brian Horrocks said, "Never try to fight a Corps off a single road." Whereas Breakout: Normandy is generally unforgiving of mistakes made by the German player, I have found that Monty's Gamble is generally unforgiving to the allied player in the same way. Timing seems to be very important to the allied player, and I believe that I may not have set my priorities straight on September 17th and got things accomplished in the order that is crucial to have a good chance of success. Has anyone else run into my same experience?
I do want to say that I absolutely love this game, but I'm struggling as the allies (as I should be - despite the material and men poured into the original operation, it had several conceptual flaws that in hindsight, almost ensured the allied plan's defeat), and I'm hopeful that I am not alone in either my misplay or misfortune blush.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Zug
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
Board Gamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Mike. You've designed a wonderful game, and I'm just waiting for the light bulb to go off for me and things start to click.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.