Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Allen Michaels
United States
Glen Ridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, my friends aren't THAT into game, but like wheelin' and dealing. 8 of us are spending a weekend together, and besides some games like Werewolf, Avalon and social deduction...I needed a game that WASN'T that, just to mix it. I thought Bohnanza would work. My friends like poker as well, so I was thinking that it would work. None of them have played it before.

So for 8P, I was just going to use the 6-7player rules. I'm split on included the 'rare' cards, as I assume that the reason they are excluded in big games is the luck factor on just a few cards. But wouldn't the market dictate the value?

I was also thinking on using the variant I saw for the Bohn to be Wild. Draw 3 instead of 2 on reveal, and active player discards one. And then each player draws 1, instead of just the active player drawing. I think this will move the game along, and keep liquidity in a big game.

My final variant thought (to promote trading) would be to issue say 8 poker chips to each player, at a value of 1/4 point each. Or maybe 10 at 0.20. So if someone proposes an 'unequal' trade, the chips can be uses to compromise or balance. This might slow down the game with extra negotiation...and I know part of the game is sometimes making a deal that's not perfect, or simply just not being able to deal and forced to harvest. Winner would be coins + value of chips.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I took Bohnanza to a star party one time. I think seven people were interested in playing. I chose to sit out and help direct the game and it worked really well. However, I also have beans from expansions mixed in, so my deck is about 50% larger than the base game. If you have eight people playing just base, you're going to go through the deck pretty fast. I've not played the draw two variant, so that may help. I've honestly never tried playing at eight, but it just seems like too much might be going on at that stage.

The quarter points rule sounds a little bit like the expansion that came out for the advent calendar last year. I'm not going to say its a bad idea, but it sounds a bit cumbersome. Especially with people who are new to the game, it may be difficult to evaluate how much a quarter point is really worth. Unless I've missed something, trading VPs isn't part of the standard rules either, so you're not just introducing quarter points, but you're also introducing the idea of attaching VPs to trades.

Our group typically finds it more useful to have tokens to trade "favors" than victory points. (I.e. I'll give you this blue bean now in exchange for some card I need on a future turn.) The tokens help us remember who owes whom.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cavaliere
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We play with 6 quite often and have played with 7 and 8p before. We have not changed up anything except the amount of cards used and it has worked just fine.

We put in all the cards (even from some from the High Bohn expansion when available) and this helps the deck last a little longer with that number of players.

The only other thing we did at one point was use some "IOU" cards but we found that it didn't really do much. I'd be interested in seeing how your poker chip idea works if you end up using it. Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.