Subject: Lore, Vulcan High Command, and Shuttles rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave C
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, Vulcan High Command allows you to add two slots to your upgrade bar, which may be either Crew or Tech upgrades. It then states that:
Vulcan High Command wrote:
This Upgrade may only be purchased for a Vulcan Captain on a Vulcan ship. If the Vulcan Captain Card is ever removed from your ship, discard this Upgrade and then discard Upgrades from your ship one at a time until all of your Upgrades are supported by your ship’s Upgrade Bar.

Here’s my question, if I were to use Lore to equip Vulcan High Command to a ship, and then use a shuttle to swap Lore out for the a different captain, do I still keep the upgrades VHC allowed me to equip to the ship? It appears that the discard of VHC and other upgrades is triggered by the removal of a Vulcan captain. Since Lore is not Vulcan, it seems then that his removal from the ship shouldn’t trigger the discard clause.

I tried a search on WORF and then new FAQ and didn’t find anything, so I may just submit this to WORF. But in the meantime, does anyone have any thoughts/insights into this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Covert
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Who knows what the official ruling would be, but it's not the removal of "a" Vulcan Captain, it's the removal of "the" Vulcan Captain, which I think is an important distinction. It's seems fairly obvious to me that it is referring to the Captain that the VHC was purchased for. In the interim, if I were TO, I would rule you have to lose the upgrades if Lore leaves. I would certainly check with your TO before counting on not having to lose them if Lore leaves the ship as part of your strategy.

It would be much cleared if they removed the word "Vulcan" from the phrase "If the Vulcan Captain card is ever removed..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard spangle
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
please forgive my confusion, but if I may ask, how would you use Lore (an Independent Captain) to equip Vulcan High Command (which specifies that it must be equipped to a Vulcan Captain on a Vulcan SHip). IMHO, Lore's special ability does not make him Vulcan, it just kills any penalty for faction he may suffer. he's still Independent, not Vulcan. this one seems grey to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with Richard on this one. Lore couldn't use the upgrade in the first place. His ability only removes penalties, not straight up restrictions like that.He is not a Vulcan Captain regardless, so he never meets the requirements to use it. Similar to trying to put one of those "can only be used on X ship" upgrades on the wrong ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
It is regardless of faction restriction. To the VULCAN portion of the card is ignored for equipping it when you have Lore. When Lore moves to a new ship, the text referencing if the Vulcan captain leaves doesn't trigger as he isn't a vulcan captain. It is a trick used a lot before the 50SP limit (in conjunction with Sideboard) to add extra crew slots to tactical cubes

A card like Combat Vessel Variant (ignoring that it is a tech for a moment) specifies a specific class of ship and Lore can't ignore that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for the confusion, I left out the relevant portion of Lore's text ability, which states that he may equip any elite talent regardless of faction restriction.

It was long ago clarified that this meant he can take VHC:
FAQ, page 4 wrote:
Wave 6 – Soong - Lore
The first part of his ability, “You may assign any [Elite Talent] Upgrade to your ship, regardless of Faction restriction,” means that you can assign an [Elite Talent] Upgrade from any Faction to Lore’s ship, even if it can only be purchased for a specific Faction (e.g. “This Upgrade may only be purchased for a Vulcan Captain on a Vulcan ship”). The second part of his ability, “…and you do not pay a Faction penalty when assigning any [Elite Talent] Upgrade to your ship,” simply means that if you assign an [Elite Talent] Upgrade to Lore’s ship that does not match his ship's Faction, you do not pay the additional +1 SP.

The exact text from VHC is specifically listed as an example of the type of ET Lore can take using his ability.

Edit to add: While digging around here on BGG, I seem to have found the pre-WORF answer to this question (https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/16350392#16350392). Chris Guild answered that, since Lore is not a Vulcan Captain, his removal does not trigger the Upgrade-discarding effects of VHC. Granted, WORF could always choose to rule differently, since this answer didn't make it into the actual FAQ document.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard spangle
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will confess that that (FAQ) is a little confusing, but as it is written, so I accept it. I just cannot picture the Vulcan High Command granting (anything) to any non-Vulcan, much less Lore. but that is the advantage of Lore, he's good at tricking people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.