Hide
13 Posts

Guilds of London» Forums » Rules

Subject: About adding new tiles rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
vice port
msg tools
During each Growth phase, it needs to add new tiles into the playing area.
For 3 player game, 5 new tiles will be placed.
I know the process of adding tiles during Round 3, but I am not sure if I am right to add tiles during Round 6.

Round 6: go ‘East’ from the Guildhall tile and place the first new tile to the right of the tile furthest East.

Red numbers are locations of new tiles during Round 6.
Is it right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Hensel
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Have games, Will travel
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the correct placement pattern is:

as each tile is to be orthogonally adjacent to the one previously placed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Cosgrove
United Kingdom
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmb
pawnpusher wrote:

Great question and great answer.

We played 4 player on Saturday and so the overlapping issue at teh corner doesn't come up, but the "orthogonally adjacent to the one previously placed" rule makes it all pretty clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Hensel
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Have games, Will travel
mbmbmbmbmb
Note: The rule book does not explicitly say "each tile is to be orthogonally adjacent to the one previously placed," but I asked Tony this question during play testing. My first play was three player, and one of the other players insisted on the same pattern suggested by the OP.

I gave my understanding of his answer above and put it in my words to help me remember.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Boydell
United Kingdom
Newent. Glos
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Every homo sapiens needs an outbuilding within the curtelage of their property
badge
Welcome...to my Shed!
mbmbmbmbmb
feign wrote:
pawnpusher wrote:

Great question and great answer.

We played 4 player on Saturday and so the overlapping issue at teh corner doesn't come up, but the "orthogonally adjacent to the one previously placed" rule makes it all pretty clear.

It's pretty though, yes? I thought the rules mentioned 'from the Guild Hall icon' NOT the compass...not that that solves your triggered OCD in the 4 player. Sorry. It was either this or print a board...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
vice port
msg tools
Thanks Jimmy!!!
Maybe it needs to show the graph in the rulebook.
This part is so ambiguous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Williams
United Kingdom
Worcester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
postbird2016 wrote:
Thanks Jimmy!!!
Maybe it needs to show the graph in the rulebook.
This part is so ambiguous.

Agreed. Whilst the wording is actually very clear, the end result is somewhat non-intuitive, which had me reading and re-reading the rules trying to work out what I'd missed! I'm glad I wasn't the only one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Friendly GamePlayer
England
Frome
Somerset
flag msg tools
Find a Friend
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tonyboydell wrote:

I thought the rules mentioned 'from the Guild Hall icon' NOT the compass...not that that solves your triggered OCD in the 4 player. Sorry. It was either this or print a board...

The rules DO say from the Guild Hall tile, but your picture shows the weather vane icon starting the tile placement. I've followed the picture in the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Boston
United Kingdom
Prenton
Wirral
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fishticuffs wrote:
tonyboydell wrote:

I thought the rules mentioned 'from the Guild Hall icon' NOT the compass...not that that solves your triggered OCD in the 4 player. Sorry. It was either this or print a board...

The rules DO say from the Guild Hall tile, but your picture shows the weather vane icon starting the tile placement. I've followed the picture in the rules.

So for clarity sake, the rulebook picture is incorrect, and I had the same thought as the OP when I read up on the 3/4 player game changes.

Having re-read Tony's comment, that makes more sense and I can see that there would not be the "overlap" in a 4 player game that the rule picture suggests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Hensel
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Have games, Will travel
mbmbmbmbmb
Omertron wrote:
Fishticuffs wrote:
tonyboydell wrote:

So for clarity sake, the rulebook picture is incorrect, and I had the same thought as the OP when I read up on the 3/4 player game changes.

Having re-read Tony's comment, that makes more sense and I can see that there would not be the "overlap" in a 4 player game that the rule picture suggests.

If you started over the left tile of the Guild Hall, there wouldn't be the overlap in the second growth phase for a three-player game, but there would in the third. There would also be the overlap in a four-player game as six new tiles are added.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Boston
United Kingdom
Prenton
Wirral
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pawnpusher wrote:
Omertron wrote:
Fishticuffs wrote:
tonyboydell wrote:

If you started over the left tile of the Guild Hall, there wouldn't be the overlap in the second growth phase for a three-player game, but there would in the third. There would also be the overlap in a four-player game as six new tiles are added.

Four player is where I am concerned as I have a game planned this week with 4. So I will follow the red text in the image above, accepting the fact that these numbers will go to 6 in my game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Larsson
Sweden
Hägersten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am having real trouble to debug this entire thread. I don't understand why the designer show little interest to explain this part of the game to the point. Anyway, this is how I intend to play the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Moser
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Aspudde wrote:
I am having real trouble to debug this entire thread. I don't understand why the designer show little interest to explain this part of the game to the point. Anyway, this is how I intend to play the game.

That works fine, but bear in mind that there are cases where an additional tile is added, so not every game will end up exactly the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.