Subject: Does the youngest player ALWAYS go first? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
matt tomik
United States
easton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
So, I've been playing Splendor at lunch with two groups of co-workers. The group I usually play with alternates who goes first since we play so often. The other group, however, insists on a very literal reading of the rules and every single game we've played has the same player go first.

While typically I'm a stickler for following the rules, I think this should be an exception.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Shader
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Talk to your group. Its not like the gem police will haul you away if you let a different player start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I treat any "xxx goes first" rule as just a guideline. We usually use the finger game to decide who goes first. (The finger game: Each player reveals some number of fingers, add them up, count that many people around in a circle, and whoever you land on goes first).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bootlucky wrote:
So, I've been playing Splendor at lunch with two groups of co-workers. The group I usually play with alternates who goes first since we play so often. The other group, however, insists on a very literal reading of the rules and every single game we've played has the same player go first.

While typically I'm a stickler for following the rules, I think this should be an exception.

This is possibly the first time I recall ever hearing anyone take those silly "first player" rules seriously. I think most people understand them to be silly flavor text which really means "Pick a first player by any mutually agreeable means, or randomly."

I almost wonder if you are pulling our leg... or if the other group is pulling your leg!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt tomik
United States
easton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I wish this were a joke. Alas, it is not. I think it as silly as the rest of responses do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like board games more than most people.
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
mbmbmb
bootlucky wrote:

1) Claim that you are the youngest at heart. Since the rules don't say youngest chronologically, you're golden.

2) Claim that you were born on February 29th and consequently, you have celebrated the least birthdays - therefore you are the youngest.

3) Claim that your opponent's documents used to prove age are forged and therefore, by default, you are the youngest.

4) Find three opponents younger than you and three older and vary who you play with each game so that you will alternate being first, second, third, and fourth.

5) Flip the table in rage if your opponents don't play the way you like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
bootlucky wrote:
I wish this were a joke. Alas, it is not. I think it as silly as the rest of responses do.

My new goal in life: Create a game that recommends fisticuffs to determine who goes first, then convince your gaming group to playtest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
bootlucky wrote:

This is possibly the first time I recall ever hearing anyone take those silly "first player" rules seriously. I think most people understand them to be silly flavor text which really means "Pick a first player by any mutually agreeable means, or randomly."

I almost wonder if you are pulling our leg... or if the other group is pulling your leg!

I always treat the first player rules as flavour, except when it says youngest/oldest player goes first, because that usually implies some subtle advantage/disadvantage to being the first player. But even then, we only tend to obey such a rule for the first game or two, unless the advantage or disadvantage is absolutely clear and significant.

Edit: and for the avoidance of doubt, we clearly only follow the rule when playing with kids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like board games more than most people.
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
mbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
bootlucky wrote:

My new goal in life: Create a game that recommends fisticuffs to determine who goes first, then convince your gaming group to playtest.

Steel cage death match.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chwazi is a free, cute little graphical first-player-chooser app for iOS and Android.

Chwazi for iOS
Chwazi for Android
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't mind seeing Epic Rap Battles for those who want to go first...

Begin!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Marl
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a lot of games with silly starting rules.

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/209008/how-choose-startin...

btw I didn't see Splendor listed there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fambans wrote:
There are a lot of games with silly starting rules.

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/209008/how-choose-startin...

btw I didn't see Splendor listed there.
Alas, "youngest player goes first" is one of the less silly, and unfortunately more common, starting player rules. So I'm not surprised that every game -- or even most games -- that use that rule wouldn't be listed there. But that is a great list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like 51st State Master Set first player rule... It is something along the line: "Choose the first player by whatever means you want, because we really dont give a fuck about how you do it".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich A
United Kingdom
London
NW London
flag msg tools
Use these rules for the first one or two games, but I'd always ignore them generally after that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adding to what others say: often when I'm teaching a game, I'll be the one to go first just to provide an example to others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
マルコ
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Eine wunderbare Heiterkeit hat meine ganze Seele eingenommen, gleich den süßen Frühlingsmorgen, die ich mit ganzem Herzen genieße. Ich bin allein und freue mich meines Lebens in dieser Gegend, die für solche Seelen geschaffen ist wie die meine.
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
(The finger game: Each player reveals some number of fingers, add them up, count that many people around in a circle, and whoever you land on goes first).

Which player do you start counting with?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ryudoowaru wrote:
Chwazi is a free, cute little graphical first-player-chooser app for iOS and Android.

But his group would think that would be cheating, since the rules specify that the youngest player goes first.

(I wonder what his group would do if there were more than 1 equally young player involved?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tompkins
United States
Stromsburg
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
Scripture Alone, Grace Alone, Faith Alone, Christ Alone, To God Alone be Glory!
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the way my wife and I do starting player, it sorta comes from our cribbage playing (lower card deals). We each draw a level 1 card, the player that has the color gem on their card that is closest to the gold gems as they got lined up during setup goes first. Its quick and random, so we like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Boberson
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bootlucky wrote:

The Splendor rules explicitly say "youngest player". I would not chance it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff W
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:

You and I know it is a silly "first player" rule and a tradition among Euros. But as the Euros go mainstream, this fact might be lost on players joining the hobby. And the literal rules sticklers would be correct.

I think it is time that this tradition comes to an end. It seems like there are other places you can make jokes... outside of the rules. And in the case where it is "youngest player go first", they should recommend that for the first few games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Piovezan
Brazil
Jundiaí
SP
flag msg tools
mb
wmshub wrote:

Too late?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt tomik
United States
easton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
thanks for all the responses. I'm hoping to use this thread to shame them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Stapp
msg tools
This is one of the players in question. Matt (bootlucky) shared this link with us in hopes of "shaming" us into submission. After reading all the comments I felt that much more compelled to stick with the formal rules if for no other reason then because it so clearly bugs him to no end. However, he offered to stop eating baby carrots while we played, which drives me fucking crazy, so I've officially changed my vote to switching the first player. I believe our youngest player is still holding firm but he may be overruled now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.