Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kent Pritchett
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agility is a game that was on Kickstarter and I recently received my copy in the mail. The only reason I helped fund the Kickstarter is my wife is into dogs and with its neat mechanics I thought this would be one that we can enjoy together. In the game you will adopt up to three dogs and train those dogs to race on agility courses. The first to have three dogs complete courses wins the game.

1. Components (15/20)

The Components are great. The artwork of the boards and training cards are alright, and they do a good job of supporting the game play. The dog cards themselves are really good and I love the artwork for those cards. The agility course board, and cards seem to be of good quality. All of the wooden bits for the resources, and markers are all fantastic, I love that the recourses for trust, strength, agility, and jump treats are in the shape of little doggie bones, and each dog card comes with its own colour coded wooden dog. This was a little extra nice touch as you can and should place the card next to the track you claim but having the coloured dog is just a nice extra. My favourite piece is the action wheel, with holes punched out so if you want you can try different actions or mix and match them. The action counters fit nicely into the wheel. Just a side note the kickstarter version comes with a handcrafted bowl and metal dog tag. Theses are really nice pieces but I did not include them in the component score.

2. Game Play (15/20)

The game play is straight forward. On your turn you play a trainer card and move the number of spaces on the wheel and take the action. During the game you can obtain flexes that you can use to take actions near the space you landed on. Then you choose to take one of the training resources listed on the card. There are plenty of decisions to be found as you have to balance the action you want to take with the resources you like to collect. After the card is played you may claim a dog and course if you have the needed resources. After that if you have dogs on courses you can move them by paying the necessary training resources. Then you refill your hand. I find the game play is fairly simple but there are plenty of decisions keeping it engaging. My wife tested it out with my 10 year old son and the age on the box is likely about right as he had no issues playing this.

3. Accessibility (17/20)

I would say ages 8 and up can play this game and the theme will appeal to a fairly wide audience. I know some non-boardgamers would be really interested in this one. So I think it may bring some new people into the hobby or at least have then try out some other games. The game has some text on the dog cards but it puts little symbols to the left telling the course benefit for the dog so I think it can be played without any translation cheat sheets. It is only a two player game so it is more of a couples game them a game to play with your gaming group.

4. Replayability (16/20)

I am always willing to play this game with my wife. The replayability is fairly high with and you can switch out actions on the wheel with meaner ones like Distraction, Intimidation, and Rush. My wife commented that this was just like real life and I don't think she was joking. Apparently some of these dog shows and competitions can have some very overly competitive people. There are a good selection of dogs but I can't help but want even more dogs. Maybe a possible future expansion, Bedlington Terriers, or Australian Shepard's, anyone.

5. Fun (15/20)

I really enjoy this little game. My wife loves the theme with the dogs and courses, and I enjoy the mechanics, of collecting training resources and trying to place myself to take a favourable action on the wheel (rondel mechanic), and trying to play the best card that meets my goals.

Total Score : (78/100)

I highly recommend this game. my wife loves the theme, and just like in real life certain types of breeds are easier to train or do better at certain obstacles. If you like a little more take that in your games, then there are options to add actions that hurt the other players. So I think there may be something in here for a variety of play styles. A really good game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dundy O
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well written, informative review. Thanks very much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Franklin
United States
Vale
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review for a lovely game. My wife and I have been surprised by the depth here; it feels like a board game as much as a card game. Theme works great too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.