Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

Catacombs (third edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Recommendations for choosing expansions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Meeusen

Belmont
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm backing the new Catacombs and Castles on Kickstarter and I'll be getting the base 3e game along with Caverns of Soloth as well. In case people weren't aware, they're allowing people who missed the first kickstarter to buy the exclusives expansion/stuff there as well but for a tidy sum.

But mostly because of price, I can't likely afford to get all three (prices in US$)

Chicks in a Catacomb + Zombie Horde = $44
Crypt Content + Vampire Noble hero (includes Ice Mage hero, Soloth and Behemoth Catacomb Lords and all Vampire Noble hero bonus cards) = $28
Ice Cavern game board = $33

If I had to choose one or two, do people who have them or have played with them have recommendations? And for those prices are they worth the extra investment? Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
Well, definitely skip the Ice Cavern board. While cool (ha ha), it's just a board. It's really something you only need to get if you're a completist.

For price/content, I'd say probably Crypt + Vampire. You get more hero and lord stuff.

Chicks in a Catacomb is nice for getting more female characters in the game, but with Soloth and now C&C they're getting quite a lot of female characters. Zombies are fun, but again I'd say they are a completist thing considering the loads of other enemies already there (especially if you get Soloth as well). And really, there's a lot of heroes in general so it's nice to have some more variety in the catacomb lords.

Now, as to whether it's worth it. I'd say probably worth the $28. I'm not sure about the $44. How often do you think you'll get this thing to the table? There is a MASSIVE amount of content just in 3rd Ed and Soloth alone. And now you've got C&C as well. You could play dozens of games and still not exhaust it.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon Scheuber
Germany
Köln
NRW
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Jason about the Ice Cavern board. While nice it is really just another layout for the obstacles.
Chicks in the Catacombs on the other hand is a really cool one. Some of the most powerful heroes are in this set. If you want to balance out the slight advantage for the overlord this one is the set to go. Zombies are cool, too.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Meeusen

Belmont
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies. Man, I love me some powerful heroes but am also a big fan of just more heroes and lord stuff in general. This might end up being a tougher decision than I hoped for.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Butler
Canada
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the same boat. I think the C&C and the Catacombs base game will be enough for me. That gives a large variety of heroes/lords/monsters/etc. If my groups love the game I'll look into grabbing more stuff down the road.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mick Whyte
Australia
Gold Coast
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
zekks wrote:
So I'm backing the new Catacombs and Castles on Kickstarter a*d I'll be getting the base 3e game along with Caverns of Soloth as well. In case people weren't aware, they're allowing people who missed the first kickstarter to buy the exclusives expansion/stuff there as well but for a tidy sum.

But mostly because of price, I can't likely afford to get all three (prices in US$)

Chicks in a Catacomb + Zombie Horde = $44
Crypt Content + Vampire Noble hero (includes Ice Mage hero, Soloth and Behemoth Catacomb Lords and all Vampire Noble hero bonus cards) = $28
Ice Cavern game board = $33

If I had to choose one or two, do people who have them or have played with them have recommendations? And for those prices are they worth the extra investment? Thanks!


Hows about we actually take a look?


Catacombs: Crypt of Shaurath $28



Catacombs: Chicks in a Catacomb+ Catacombs: Zombie Horde$44



and



Ice Cavern game board $33 (on the right in the photo)


This is actually a photo of everything in Catacombs 3rd


Also for kicks here is what you're getting in the

Catacombs: Cavern of Soloth (third edition)

Six new Heroes



bunch of items



4 new lords



Bunch of new monster



Back of the box





SO what do I think? (feel free to skip I've given you all you need)

Catacombs: Crypt of Shaurath Definitely grab it. Its worth it because the heroes are particularly unique and 4 more Cavern Lords including Soloth! that's right you don't get Soloth in the Caverns of Soloth Expansion.
(also last one Vaiel is Awesome she constantly switches characters around)

Catacombs: Chicks in a Catacomb: Well this is tough one I'm not bothered by the Zombies the game really has enough monsters with Soloth Exp. However the heroes here are not just female versions look at them. Estie has a cool Ablity- double move critical, Larra is awesome as her wolf is like a shield that can attack and defend, Squalia has Heal All as an Ablity (not a spell, so can be used once per round vs once per game) and April has 3 fire blast Abilities (not Spells). They are very powerful and different to play with.

With the Zombies its not to bad of a deal for out of print promotional material, its just you can see now you get a lot of wooden discs hence the price.

I wouldn't get the board for the price its not worth it although I really like it . The way the pillars all take up the centre is really cool.


Hopefully this helps

Mick
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Butler
Canada
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Why Mick!? Why!? Now I want to get the Cavern of Soloth too........ Must resist......Thanks for the very helpful info!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
(Cross-posting this here since the same message was in another thread.)

Just to be clear, here's what's actually listed on the Kickstarter:


It doesn't mention the room cards or the Vampire Guard. Could just be an oversight. I'll ask in the comments and report back.

The Vampire Guard, Antient, etc. are all included just like they were in the original KS content.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mick Whyte
Australia
Gold Coast
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Xavarir wrote:
Why Mick!? Why!? Now I want to get the Cavern of Soloth too........ Must resist......Thanks for the very helpful info!


You'll be able to get other stuff down the track at a reasonable price.

but when you're in Australia its all in baby work the postage while you can get it cheap.

Chicks in a Catacomb (which I don't have, I only have Zombies) would usually cost me $100 to get in Australia.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Lunte
Germany
Garrel
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
I actually like the idea of a dedicated zombie horde, but I just noticed, does the Zombie promo not include any room cards to actually get the zombies into play?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
Tobl wrote:
I actually like the idea of a dedicated zombie horde, but I just noticed, does the Zombie promo not include any room cards to actually get the zombies into play?


The way Catacombs works is that monsters are grouped into different "families", with their own colors. The zombies are in the purple family. So any room card that shows purples lets you choose the zombies. Also, each zombie card is a certain level. There are room cards that let the overseer to choose ANY monster from a certain level.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Lunte
Germany
Garrel
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
jepmn wrote:
So any room card that shows purples lets you choose the zombies. Also, each zombie card is a certain level. There are room cards that let the overseer to choose ANY monster from a certain level.


I just checked my (german) base game and I have only rooms that let me choose any of a certain level, none that demand a specific family. So yes, I can choose them when those come up, but they won't come up as "play this monster now". I had another look at the CoS pictures and couldn't find special room cards there, so I guess this is true for all expansion monsters, not just the promos?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
Tobl wrote:
jepmn wrote:
So any room card that shows purples lets you choose the zombies. Also, each zombie card is a certain level. There are room cards that let the overseer to choose ANY monster from a certain level.


I just checked my (german) base game and I have only rooms that let me choose any of a certain level, none that demand a specific family. So yes, I can choose them when those come up, but they won't come up as "play this monster now". I had another look at the CoS pictures and couldn't find special room cards there, so I guess this is true for all expansion monsters, not just the promos?


Yeah, I did a terrible job of explaining this (I really wish I could get it out on the table more). What I should have said is when the cards with the monster meter icons on them are used, you can use all of the monsters from a family (color) of monster you want that are that level. So any monster meter card that lets you choose level 1 monsters lets you choose all the level 1 zombies. Any one that shows level 2 lets you choose all the level 2 zombies, etc.

Is that any more clear? I will confirm that there isn't a zombie-specific card that forces you to only use specific zombie pieces. It's up to the monster meter cards and the overseer picking them.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mick Whyte
Australia
Gold Coast
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jepmn wrote:
Tobl wrote:
jepmn wrote:
So any room card that shows purples lets you choose the zombies. Also, each zombie card is a certain level. There are room cards that let the overseer to choose ANY monster from a certain level.


I just checked my (german) base game and I have only rooms that let me choose any of a certain level, none that demand a specific family. So yes, I can choose them when those come up, but they won't come up as "play this monster now". I had another look at the CoS pictures and couldn't find special room cards there, so I guess this is true for all expansion monsters, not just the promos?


Yeah, I did a terrible job of explaining this (I really wish I could get it out on the table more). What I should have said is when the cards with the monster meter icons on them are used, you can use all of the monsters from a family (color) of monster you want that are that level. So any monster meter card that lets you choose level 1 monsters lets you choose all the level 1 zombies. Any one that shows level 2 lets you choose all the level 2 zombies, etc.

Is that any more clear? I will confirm that there isn't a zombie-specific card that forces you to only use specific zombie pieces. It's up to the monster meter cards and the overseer picking them.


That's incorrect you can chose a monster of that particular level from any family. Becasue an encounter will say 2 x Level 4's so you could choose 1 from Blue family and 1 from Green family
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
Mick_whyte wrote:
jepmn wrote:
Yeah, I did a terrible job of explaining this (I really wish I could get it out on the table more). What I should have said is when the cards with the monster meter icons on them are used, you can use all of the monsters from a family (color) of monster you want that are that level. So any monster meter card that lets you choose level 1 monsters lets you choose all the level 1 zombies. Any one that shows level 2 lets you choose all the level 2 zombies, etc.

Is that any more clear? I will confirm that there isn't a zombie-specific card that forces you to only use specific zombie pieces. It's up to the monster meter cards and the overseer picking them.


That's incorrect you can chose a monster of that particular level from any family. Becasue an encounter will say 2 x Level 4's so you could choose 1 from Blue family and 1 from Green family


Right, I should have said "zombies of a particular type".

Concrete example (slightly rephrased to avoid confusion with the base "zombie"):
Quote:


For an example of this process, on the Room card indicated by icon “5” there are two Monster Metre icons x2 in the first quadrant. This means the Overseer chooses two level 1 monsters from any monster family. This could be Zombie Ratmen and Fire Spirits, resulting in eight pieces being placed on the board (all four Zombie Ratmen and all four Fire Spirit pieces) or Orcs and Armoured Beetles resulting in nine pieces on the board (all four Orcs and all five Armoured Beetles). Two monsters from the same family may also be chosen. For example, Zombie Ratmen and Zombie Prisoners would result in nine pieces on the board (all four Zombie Ratmen and five Skeleton Warrior pieces) from the Zombies (purple) family.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Lunte
Germany
Garrel
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Since there was some confusion in the ks comments, after you've decided what you want to get, here's a spreadsheet detailing which pledge levels you'll need to actually get it.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/113ojrdfIL7XCK07DP9Fa...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I would get pack 1. Those heroes are a ton of fun.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.