Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dylan Bradshaw
United States
North Scituate
Ri
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm curious - when you play key flower with the expansion merchants, do you force the tiles from the expansion in to the rotation or do a random draw? I'm aware there's a variant to force them in. I guess it's just disappointing when you play without the variant and you don't see any of the new tiles. I play mostly 2 player games so I think the chances of me seeing the tiles are even less than higher player counts. Unless I force them in which feels kind of illegitimate because you could plan on certain strategies- particularly with the contracts. Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Thomson
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is the end; hold your breath and count to ten; feel the earth move and then; hear my heart burst again
badge
"We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." - Tennyson
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing wrong with always playing the Merchants variant, which forces them in. If you want to guarantee that you'll see them, that's the only way to do it.

Edit: I always go full random.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope. We just go random each time to keep things spicy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Full random for me. Part of the fun of the game is not having access to everything.

If I played with Merchants a few times and never saw one of the tiles, I might force that one in the next time I played. But playing with a guarantee of all the ____ tiles showing up (where the blank is contracts, or green meeples, or skill tile swapping, or movement upgrades...) is not very interesting to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Always random.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Marsh
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
ahh, get it off.. get it... GET IT OFF!!
badge
ahh, get it off.. get it... GET IT OFF!!
mbmbmbmbmb
i force in the 3 tiles that produce contracts - one per season. i randomize the rest sometimes with Farmers & sometimes not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Full random for us

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Quichotte
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmb
Half random

For a 2 player game I do it like this: every season (but winter) I mix the Merchants tile with other 8 random tiles, then I randomly choose the 6 tiles needed. If one season has been played without the Merchants tile, then I adjust the above value of 8 random tiles to 7; if two seasons have been played without the Merchants tile, then I further adjust the above value of 7 random tiles to 6, thus increasing the probability that I will finally get to see an expansion tile during the current season. I hope I made myself clear enough.

For each extra player, the above 8 / 7 / 6 formula gets increased by 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.