Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Before I continue I have to qualify what I am about to say - I have only played once; however during and after that one game I am pretty confident we got all of the rules correct (despite building a castle over a river which nobody noticed until round 5 - oh well).

While I found the game challenging and interesting, I felt the game concentrated in only two times - the Age of Might and the Age of Reason. It may just be our inexperience or it may be something we missed but there just doesn't seem to be much point in concentrating on the Age of Faith. In fact, most of the time players only visited that age on scoring rounds.

Everybody was aware that more money is earned for building during the Age of Faith; the trouble is in order to earn that money you have to have an adventurer then. But if you continually build in the Age of Faith the likelihood is somebody will build something else in the Age of Might causing ripples to remove what you have just built.

While this might seem fine because you've earned an extra Ecu for building then, the likelihood is you won't have anything there to score with when the all-important scoring round arrives - and that usually means you're losing out on a lot of money. Sure, there might be one or two exceptions - a player last night for instance caused a paradox which removed my chapel (built in the Age of Faith) and then travelled forward in time to build his own chapel in the same domain; however in most cases there just doesn't seem to be a lot of point in building anything in a time which could be paradoxed out by somebody else's earlier building.

As a result of this, it seems totally logical to build primarily during the Age of Might, moving adventurers only to the times in which you are scoring best at the appropriate point.

Now a fair reply to this would be something along the lines of,

"But that is the way the game works, so that is how it should be played."

However I just can't help but think there should be a better incentive than a single, extra Ecu for building something in the Age of Faith. Perhaps the reward should be increased to 3 Ecus, or maybe the rippling effect should not necessarily be so damaging to later buildings?

Does anybody else have an opinion? Is there something I am missing, is there room for improvement in the design or is it just a quirk of the game I should live with?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After one play we felt the first and third time periods were the focal points as well. Still I wish I had a copy to play it a few more times and see if we are missing anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After a couple more games I now find the Age of Faith holds better opportunities than I previously thought. There are, however, three golden rules for building there:

1. Do not build anything that could too easily be rippled out of existence prior to scoring.

2. Do not build anything there too early.

3. Try to create situations where building on a particular space will be legal in Faith but illegal in Might.

Last night's game brought up some interesting situations indeed; things were made even more interesting by using open hands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Ostrander
United States
Henrietta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fellonmyhead wrote:
After a couple more games I now find the Age of Faith holds better opportunities than I previously thought. There are, however, three golden rules for building there:

1. Do not build anything that could too easily be rippled out of existence prior to scoring.

2. Do not build anything there too early.

3. Try to create situations where building on a particular space will be legal in Faith but illegal in Might.

Last night's game brought up some interesting situations indeed; things were made even more interesting by using open hands.

I think that third point is key to successful building on the Faith board. Using small buildings on the age of Might board to protect the "shadow" of the Faith building is a key way to protect your interest. Unfortunately the bigger the building the harder it is to protect so be careful. Our last game saw two Abbeys get destroyed in this way (and it was painful)

cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Stewart
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's sooo Hot out here...
mbmbmbmbmb
fellonmyhead wrote:

Everybody was aware that more money is earned for building during the Age of Faith; the trouble is in order to earn that money you have to have an adventurer then. But if you continually build in the Age of Faith the likelihood is somebody will build something else in the Age of Might causing ripples to remove what you have just built.

As a result of this, it seems totally logical to build primarily during the Age of Might, moving adventurers only to the times in which you are scoring best at the appropriate point.

Does anybody else have an opinion? Is there something I am missing, is there room for improvement in the design or is it just a quirk of the game I should live with?

If you want to build in the Age of Faith(AoF), I'd advise you to place some "1" size buildings in the AoM to prevent Time Shadowing in the future. You have to block the other players. For them to eliminate your building in the AoF, they'd have to expend one VP to eliminate your small building, then get the 1VP back if they upgrade/build a larger building, thus breaking even on a build. They'd spend 1 VP to get 2VP (with 2 upgrades) while you'd immediately get 4VP with 2 upgrades. Net immediate effect. ENEMY gain 1VP
YOU gain 4VP

Yes you are vulnerable, but the reward may well be worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Callan Bond
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have yet to have a full game- just read the rules, did the tutorial, and played a mock game myself to try and get the hang of it.

When I first read the rules and a few comments on the forums, I thought Age of Faith didn't seem like it would get much action. However I echo the above points- I think especially not building there too early is key. However later in the game (say by round 4), the Age of Might will be getting fairly full, and it is easier to build in the AoF at that point.

Also, I found that building one-point sized small buildings to connect domains not connected in the AoF but that are in the AoM to be a key, as you can end up with different groupings of small domains into larger domains in Faith compared to Might.

Anyhow, obviously I'm not even a 'rookie' yet, but I've read some comments by haters in other threads here and it seems like they read through the rules, played half a game, and jumped to conclusions about the whole before really giving it a proper go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Smith
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played my first game last night with 4 friends, and perhaps midway someone pointed out the same thought, that the Age of Faith seemed like a worthless place to be. But as the game went on, we all discovered that it does prove useful in some interesting ways.

One example that comes to mind is that there may be a spot you want to claim or connect on the Reason board, but due to the clutter that builds up on the Might board this may not be possible. Sometimes the Faith board is less cluttered by those 1 size buildings, allowing you to build where you could not in Might.

Similarly, you can use the Faith board to connect and cause conflict with larger buildings and downsize your opponents there, not only gaining you dominance for scoring the Faith board, but also rippling separating effects into the Reason board that you could use to isolate opponents population/power to regain the majority.

EDIT: Haha, in posting I now see that I'm only 4 years late joining this conversation. Hopefully you've come a long, long way since that first game. Do you ever still play Khronos??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
luc bc
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bugeeker wrote:

EDIT: Haha, in posting I now see that I'm only 4 years late joining this conversation. Hopefully you've come a long, long way since that first game. Do you ever still play Khronos??

2007 age of might, 2009 age of faith, 2011 age of reason

I bought the game and started to play a few on BGA... I had the same feeling about faith board, I hope the deepth of the game is here !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.