Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
giorgos karavidas
Greece
LARISA & ATHENS
GREECE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I imagine that it' s a bit early for answering this...but I" ll ask anyway...

the DOW : the long night is designed, as the previous one, to be played by 2-5 players...but is it possible this time - especially if someone owns both versions of DoWs - to play with more players ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course Isn't that already possible without the expansion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Fleming
United States
Orange
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure what you mean by possible. Yes there are enough components to do that. Will it be fun or balanced? Probably not. Why not just set up a second table and split into two different groups and have each group play at the same time, one group playing OG DoW and the other group playing TLN.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
giorgos karavidas
Greece
LARISA & ATHENS
GREECE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It crossed my mind but it wouldn t be the same

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ossian Grr aka "Josh"
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it's ever a good idea to play DoW with more than 5 distinct players. Too much downtime between turns, and conversely too much indecision amongst a larger group.

If you're going to play with more than 5, I recommend capping the player-count at 5 (or less) and having "teams" control certain survivor groups.
I've done this with 6 players (just one team of 2) and it worked out great.

That being said, there are probably enough components that you could _technically_ do it, and even have 6 full Starter Card hands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kapish
United States
Brunswick
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Total unplayed games in my collection: 4
mbmbmbmbmb
DoW with more than 5 players?… sounds like you're taking "The Long Night" a little too literally. whistle

Sounds miserable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roel van der Hoorn
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find the downtime in Dead of Winter with 5 players already too much. Especially when people get a lot of characters. I'm only willing to play it with max. 4 people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is honestly nothing stopping you from playing with 6 but I do think there could be a number of gameplay issues that pop up. Time is the main one. I personally haven't had issues with downtime, even with 5p, but a short objective with 5p will take 2.5 hours. For some that IS an issue and they will get bored. Adding a 6th will mean that is probably up to 3 hours minimum which I feel would be too long.

Second is the cards and location spaces seem to be taking a max of 5p into account. Adding a 6th would mean starting cards are a uneven, 12 starting characters instead of 10, potential food demands being too much (and they can already be too much in some 5p games), not having enough cards for crises/food/objectives/etc.

In short, while I personally love DoW and it is my top game in my collection, some people have issues with certain aspects of the game. And I think adding more than the intended number of players, while doable, would make those issues stronger and much more apparent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RvdH83 wrote:
I find the downtime in Dead of Winter with 5 players already too much. Especially when people get a lot of characters. I'm only willing to play it with max. 4 people.

I never understood the concept of downtime in DoW. You have a few characters and they can do, basically, a single thing. Sure there's some cards involved but...really?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
giorgos karavidas
Greece
LARISA & ATHENS
GREECE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I totally agree.downtime in DoW was never a real issue for me as long as players are experienced and know what they are doing..but even with new players I am really engaged the whole time and I don't feel the time passing by

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roel van der Hoorn
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sargeras777 wrote:
RvdH83 wrote:

I never understood the concept of downtime in DoW. You have a few characters and they can do, basically, a single thing. Sure there's some cards involved but...really?

Unfortunately, yes.

It's mainly because the game does not really require you to think on other player's turns, like a strategy game does. So you're just waiting. Maybe it's the players I play with, but the downtime really bothers me with 5 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.