Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alessandro Cingolani
Italy
Arezzo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is somewhat a very rare occurance, but I'm wondering IF we can use the Cart Operator/Truck Driver/Zeppelin Pilot stopping at any moment instead of using all of their available range.

I'd say yes, but I'd like an official ruling. ^^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh that's a good one. So you don't want that beer as otherwise you'll have to feed that drunk couple rather than that nice rich family in the higher number house?

I don't know what the best answer should be... the marketers are indiscriminate, that much seems obvious, and maybe you would benefit from being able to choose in that situation. So following that, I'd say you must use the range if... the route you're taking can keep going legally? Tough luck, you get the beer.

Maybe. But probably not.... thematically someone doing a job would stop when they've achieved their objectives...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'├ętat, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
Given that the milestones are things that happen for good or ill throughout the entire game, I would say no with respect to the zeppelin pilot etc., but you do get to choose the route so make sure that you take that left and said of the right to avoid that extra beer !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Killian
United States
Watertown
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth, the boardgamecore site does let you stop short of the full range.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Denoize
France
Lille
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CmdrOverbite wrote:
For what it's worth, the boardgamecore site does let you stop short of the full range.

It's purely based on my understanding of the rules, so you cannot take it as a proof !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Cingolani
Italy
Arezzo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
Maybe. But probably not.... thematically someone doing a job would stop when they've achieved their objectives...

Thematically, I'm the CEO, if I tell the guy to stop collecting drinks before he runs out of fuel, he has to do so, no questions asked. Or I'll fire him.

devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the rulebook:

Quote:
Cart operator: starting from one of your restaurant entrances, trace a route of range 2 over roads. Including the tile of your restaurant, the route will thus cover up to three tiles.

Everywhere in the rulebook range, seem to means "up to". So I would say that you can trace a rouge shorter than the maximum range.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Koppang
United States
Westmont
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy..."
badge
"For the listener, who listens in the snow, and, nothing himself, beholds nothing that is not there and the nothing that is." -- Wallace Stevens
mbmbmbmbmb
Wildhorn wrote:
Everywhere in the rulebook range, seem to means "up to". So I would say that you can trace a rouge shorter than the maximum range.

Not quite, though. Including a bit more of the rule:

Quote:
Cart operator: starting from one of your restaurant entrances, trace a route of range 2 over roads. Including the tile of your restaurant, the route will thus cover up to three tiles. Take 2 drinks from the stock for each drink symbol you pass by on either side of the road.

The bolded part makes it seem like you have no choice. The "up to" might be referring to routes that run off the map, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Cingolani
Italy
Arezzo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tckoppang wrote:
Wildhorn wrote:

Quote:
Cart operator: starting from one of your restaurant entrances, trace a route of range 2 over roads. Including the tile of your restaurant, the route will thus cover up to three tiles. Take 2 drinks from the stock for each drink symbol you pass by on either side of the road.

The bolded part makes it seem like you have no choice. The "up to" might be referring to routes that run off the map, etc.

This is exactly why I asked, the "up to" may just refer to map borders/dead ends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asher D.
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting question!
And an interesting corollary: Even if you can stop short, can you choose to not collect from a depot you're passing on the way? (who needs that beer anyway)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Cingolani
Italy
Arezzo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
adiamant wrote:
Interesting question!
And an interesting corollary: Even if you can stop short, can you choose to not collect from a depot you're passing on the way? (who needs that beer anyway)

Regarding the corollary, the RAWs state (for the Cart Operator, but it's the same for the Truck Driver/Zeppelin Pilot):

Take 2 drinks from the stock for each drink symbol you pass by on either side of the road.

It's an imperative without the presence of any can/may, so if you pass by an adjacent depot you *have* to take the drinks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tckoppang wrote:
Wildhorn wrote:

Quote:

That's why I said Range seem to means up to. Because if you look at marketing:

Quote:
Each marketeer has a certain range. For example, the marketing
trainee has a range of 2. This means he can place billboards on his
own tile (0), an adjacent tile (1) or a tile two steps away.

Range of 2 seem to means 0,1 or 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen Doumen
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Click to see this player's page
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Galandil wrote:
This is somewhat a very rare occurance, but I'm wondering IF we can use the Cart Operator/Truck Driver/Zeppelin Pilot stopping at any moment instead of using all of their available range.

I would say yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uffe
United Kingdom
Cheadle
flag msg tools
Too many games...
badge
not enough time
mbmbmbmbmb
jmdsplotter wrote:
Galandil wrote:

I would say yes.

Does that include stopping part way through a tile. Picking up beer for example which you would pass first on a tile but not picking up lemonade which is further down the road on the same tile?

In the same example, could I choose to NOT take the beer (even though I pass it) but still take the lemonade?

I guess this kind of applies to cooks and chefs and too. Do I have to take 3 or 8 burgers/pizzas or could I choose to take fewer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen Doumen
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
uffegraa wrote:
jmdsplotter wrote:
Galandil wrote:

I would say yes.

Does that include stopping part way through a tile. Picking up beer for example which you would pass first on a tile but not picking up lemonade which is further down the road on the same tile?
I don't think this situation can happen; in that case you can always go another way on the intersection anyhow. But I don't have the tiles in front of me...

Quote:
In the same example, could I choose to NOT take the beer (even though I pass it) but still take the lemonade?
No, you pick up everything you pass by.

Quote:
I guess this kind of applies to cooks and chefs and too. Do I have to take 3 or 8 burgers/pizzas or could I choose to take fewer?
No, you have to take the full amount.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Cingolani
Italy
Arezzo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmdsplotter wrote:
uffegraa wrote:
I don't think this situation can happen; in that case you can always go another way on the intersection anyhow. But I don't have the tiles in front of me...

It may happen on exactly 1 tile, the "+" with one beer and one lemonade. And, as you said, you just choose another way at the crossroad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
I hadn't thought of the cook / chef scenario... so if you MUST take 8 burgers or whatever, then that's just as thematic as having to drive the full distance? Seems very inconsistent otherwise actually. I say you can crash into a cul-de-sac if you wish / can, but otherwise you must keep driving I say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asher D.
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
I hadn't thought of the cook / chef scenario... so if you MUST take 8 burgers or whatever, then that's just as thematic as having to drive the full distance? Seems very inconsistent otherwise actually. I say you can crash into a cul-de-sac if you wish / can, but otherwise you must keep driving I say.

1. I think the cook/chef situation is a little different, and has more similarities to my "corollary" of not taking the full amount of drinks, or skipping a depot you pass by, which Joruen said isn't allowed. So consistency is preserved.
2. The designer ruled on it, so I think most of us will keep to that interpretation
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen Doumen
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The cart driver also cannot choose to take only 1 drink from a source...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.