Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So after looking over the cards in the zombie deck I have come up with a plan of what to include to keep things interesting and challenging.

In the core game zombie deck, there were six necromancer spawns which worked out to about an 11% chance of drawing one. When I add in all the new cards (NPCs, Crowz, Wolvz, Deadeyes) I will need to add another six necromancer spawns to keep things even. Now of course this will increase the chance that I may have some nasty multiple Necromancer spawns, but so be it. Each new necromancer comes with six spawn cards so I believe that I will add in three of two special Necromancers and then swap them out randomly between game sessions. That way you can keep things "fresh".

In playing the missions for Wulfsburg, I was thinking that thematically it might be fun to keep the same Necromancer Cabal since it would seem that the same Necromancer continues to return to life to harass the survivors!

As for Abominations, at first I was considering adding a few of each one into the deck, but I have decided to just add in one type per session (they have four spawn cards each). That way there is always a chance you will encounter a standard Abomination and Wolfbomination. Then there will be a surprise in the mix! Yes, I plan on adding the extra abomination in randomly.

After I have played a few games with this format of deck I'll try to do a quick session report to let everyone know how it works out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Carter
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian T wrote:
Now of course this will increase the chance that I may have some nasty multiple Necromancer spawns, but so be it.

If you keep the percentage of Necromancer cards the same, then the chance of nasty multiple Necromancer spawns should be the same as well.

Interested to see how this works out (especially with the abominations). I haven't planned how I'm going to do my spawn deck yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian giese
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorting out decks with expansions seems to be the key to making the game worth with all the expansions, so I'm excited to see peoples decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Alderman
United States
Shady Spring
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Trust me, I am not the Traitor.
badge
For Orcs there is no other life but WAR!
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not just include everything?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
Necromancers aren't the only nasty thing in the game - if you increase necromancer spawn cards you will be decreasing the chances of Abominations, Deadeye walkers, extra activations, etc. turning up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alderdust wrote:
Why not just include everything?

Keep in mind that the new abomination spawn cards are an auto spawn at yellow level or higher and there are six different monsters! There are four cards for each of them (so 20 spawns in total). Each necromancer has six cards and has six spawn cards (so 36 necromancer spawns). You can put all the cards in, but you will have a lot of necromancer and abomination spawns during your game. If your game group has fun with that, go for it!

My personal preference is to make the deck spawn necromancers and abominations at a similar pace to the core game. Plus, by only using two of the special necromancers (at random) and one extra Abomination (at random), each game will have slightly different challenges to face.

At some point I will most likely try some other spawn decks, like, one that is focused on beasts. Remove some of the regular zombie and NPC spawns so that crowz and wolfz are more frequent

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Woods
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We have played 5 games now with, Wolfsburg and the extra Necromancer, Abomination, Wolfbomination, NPCs, Crows and Deadeye Walkers. We have six Necromancer cards in the deck including Medea, Ostokar, Grin and Evil Ash.
So far it has been especially brutal, even without the special abominations, and I think the Necromancers are to blame. In the original game with only one Necromancer mini you never got the multiple Necromancer thing and the escalating number of spawn points. Having a possible 6 Necromancer minis along with all the other stuff may just be too much. The spawn points really start to stack up and Evil Ash is a big jerk! The crows aren't hard to kill but can really gum up the movement as can the Deadeyes. I really like the new variety of foes but I think throwing everything in may just be too much.

We usually just deal out 4 or 5 characters to each player and have them pick the one they want so we are not specifically choosing our party and I am not sure if I want to go that route. So maybe to balance things out we will try 2-3 possible Necromancer minis available to spawn and one special Abomination (when I finish painting them) and see if that works better.

I am curious what other folks are thinking?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think what I'm going to do is include one of each special necro, some number of standard necro card, haven't decided how many yet (2 or 4 seems most likely, but maybe the full 6 to keep the % close to the same)

I'm probably gonna throw all the abom cards in, cause I'm a masochist. Also Xuxa and Klom (and Thrud, and several other characters capable of dealing with aboms with no or little special gear) exist. We always pick our characters, so the stronger ones are likely to always be present.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Hemmings
United States
Tumwater
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian T wrote:
My personal preference is to make the deck spawn necromancers and abominations at a similar pace to the core game. Plus, by only using two of the special necromancers (at random) and one extra Abomination (at random), each game will have slightly different challenges to face.

I agree on trying to keep the spawn rates similar to the original game rate. There are hundreds of possibilities with regard to adding some/all of the necromancers and abominations but the ones that have been tested the most are the ones thave come out of the core box so they are balanced for the most part.

Our group was extremely cocky and added everything to the first game and took random survivors and we died in the first 15 minutes. When I separated the cards about 30-40% were abominations and necromancers.

Our last setup was all the cards from BP and Wulf, with 1 card of each new abomination and necromancer. This was just about right for us but we might add 1 more abomination card for each of the new ones. Hand choosing characters reduces difficulty and makes a big difference. Random is great but if you can't slay an abomination you are in trouble. We don't like to die horribly or win easily and choosing both cards and heroes gives us a more even keel experience which we then try and skew to almost impossible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Jones
Ireland
flag msg tools
Obviously adding tougher enemies to the spawn deck makes things harder. Is there any way to equalise that on the hero side (other than picking hereoes considered "OP")? I've heard Wulfsburg has "better" gear?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevver More
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'll probably be doing this... On the left is original deck, middle is what I'll be doing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jez Dedman
United Kingdom
Portsmouth
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After playing a few games now, with all expansions except the crowz, I looked on here to see how others were getting on. Initially I did not see the rules re the necro cabal. I included all necro cards - needless to say we were destroyed in our game. Over run on the first map from the necro spawns alone when opening the large room.
2nd game I only included 8 random necro cards, but all abomination cards, but 4 of us with 2 characters each still found it too hard. A necro escaped whilst we were still at yellow level.

I think next time I will scale down on the abomination cards, perhaps only 2 of each, but still use 8 or 10 necro cards, but plan to remove the wolves, just to see how it scales. The wolves alongside the deadeye archers are a deadly combo, especially when there are necro's running up the corridors too multiple times per turn!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.