Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Meg Kline
United States
Lawrenceville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a rabid Beatles fan, I'd heard about and coveted this game for many years, mostly for the collectible value. Several years ago, I visited a friend who happened to have a well-loved copy from her childhood, so we pulled it out and played (after a quick fight over which of us would get to play Paul... yes, we are an extra geeky brand of geek!).

The game contains a board, a stack of yellow "Beatles" cards, a stack of red "Flip Your Wig" cards, and four game pieces which are cardboard pictures of each Beatle's head. The cardboard slides into a little colored plastic base which is labeled with the appropriate Beatle's name. Each Beatle gets his favorite color base (according to a 1964 teen mag interview, anyway... I told you I was a special brand of geek)... so John's is green, Ringo's is red, and so on. The art on the cards is just blackline drawings.

There's nothing special or redeeming about this game for the gaming inclined - it's a simple roll and move. The object is to be the first to collect the four Beatle cards for "your" Beatle - a signature card, a guitar card, a picture card, and a hit record card (the last is not tailored to any individual Beatle, it just has a record symbol.)

Play is dictated almost solely by the dice and the instructions on the board (take a Beatle card, take a card from the player to your left, take a wig card, roll again, etc.) Wig cards are a mix of things you're trying to collect (so you could get lucky and draw a red "John's guitar" from the wig stack, instead of having to pull from the Beatle stack), board moves, or instructions to take a card from/give a card to another player.

All in all, it's a sheer luck kind of game with nothing but the theme going for it. If you're looking for good, engaging game play, don't bother with this one. I, of course, still want to own the thing... it's a lot of fun to play with a group of Beatles fans. Then again, we'd probably all don gloves before we dared touch such a piece of memorabilia!

The pictures on the board and other components are great in the usual kitchy sort of way, so it's really a shame that the game mechanics are so poor. One of these days I'd like to redesign it and inject some actual strategy, so that non-Beatles fans might be willing to indulge me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stven Carlberg
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say not even Beatles fans will flip over this one!

I had the game when I was 13, and even then I knew it was lame.

Thanks for the review, though! Always good to hear from another Beatlemaniac!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meg Kline
United States
Lawrenceville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ssmooth wrote:
I'd say not even Beatles fans will flip over this one!

I had the game when I was 13, and even then I knew it was lame.

Thanks for the review, though! Always good to hear from another Beatlemaniac!

LOL! Yeah, you can definitely tell it was one of those games cranked out as a sheer marketing opportunity. I've heard some people are improving on it slightly (emphasis on slightly) by creating "Beatleopoly" and the like... I'm not quite skilled enough to design my own game from scratch, but I'd love to see one that involves some actual strategy instead of crap vs. crappier. Surely things like the Hamburg years and the Jesus incident could give birth to a strategy game.

... BGG probably isn't the place to mention that I've met Paul, right? Right. (He was/is just as incredible as I'd always thought he would be.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amado Angulo
Germany
München
Bayern
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
maccaj6565 wrote:
... BGG probably isn't the place to mention that I've met Paul, right? Right. (He was/is just as incredible as I'd always thought he would be.)

surprise Curse you and all the halflings!!! We hatesss him!! (That's just my dark side speaking)... I am not crazy, my mother had me tested!!

How did you meet him? It'd be a dream come true to me...

P.S. as you can see from this triple-geeky post (a prize to those who can find the clues), this is EXACTLY the right place to mention it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.