Arcadia Quest» Forums » Rules

Subject: Astral Strike and Exhaustion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Hansen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
When one of my characters dies, I usually remove all the exhaust tokens from his/her weapons. My question is, can you exhaust astral strike WHILE DEAD? Or can you just use it indefinitely?

This is obviously in reference to Hobsbawm, who if you cannot exhaust while dead would get a permanent attack and maybe would me more useful dead than alive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The_Brt wrote:
When one of my characters dies, I usually remove all the exhaust tokens from his/her weapons.

Why?

This is done in the Rest phase, not during death. Would that solve the issue?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darla Truitt
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
I think the exhaust tokens do not get removed until you rest. So dead heroes still have exhausted items. Astral strike can be used while dead but would exhaust just like any other time you use an item. Once you rest, all tokens are swept.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Hansen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
True. Ok, that clarifies it.

If i may, a follow up question. Why would you take astral strike? I've played through this game some 4 times full campaign and NO ONE has ever taken it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Russell
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
in another post someone mentioned that if Zazu is equipped with Astral Strike he would never exhaust it and it would then be most effective in his hands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Phan
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You can use it when you're alive so you just attack whereever your ally is.

Zazu can use it and he won't have to exhaust it since the enemy will always be flanked since you need to use it where an ally is.

Hobsbawm can use it and not move, and then activate another hero. This is useful if Hobspawm is not within LOS of any enemies.

Astral Strike is a magic attack so it can be made stronger by boost items or heroes with abilties that have to do with magic, such as Seth, Maya, etc.

It's also the only magic melee attack so it is more accurate than regular magic attacks. (Melee attacks are more accurate than ranged)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Penrose
United States
Derby
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Astral Strike & Astral Strike II for many of the reasons that Phan mentioned above. It also goes great with Scarlet who benefits from flanking.

It can be also be useful against enemies with nasty retaliation abilities (Daze or healing) since you can't receive payback when using it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
rjr1968 wrote:
in another post someone mentioned that if Zazu is equipped with Astral Strike he would never exhaust it and it would then be most effective in his hands.

Yep. Scarlet will also get her bonus.
Actually I think Chaz will too, wounds go away when you die, right? Or is that during rest as well?

Anyhow, for the actual question, Astral Strike is amazing!

1) Monsters don't react to it
2) Characters can't react to it (like Spike or Retribution amulet) (No idea what I was smoking when I wrote that)
3) You can keep a character in your starting area all game long and just attack with her from there, while also occasionally rest and move other things like treasures to it
4) It's great when the person you have going forward is either more defensive or based on movement and not that much of an aggressor like Spike or Wisp

I don't know what's it like in your game, but in our games there usually is 2 really buffed character and the 3rd one a bit less that tends to stay back and it's a great boost for it.

Also when you get to the final mission and you are swamped in that room with all the bosses and the counter attacks are an issue, having someone astral strike from beyond the grave or the other side of the board.

Personally, unless I don't have enough money or don't find 3 other super amazing items, I always try and grab them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Hansen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
why cant characters react to it? (spike or retribution amulet)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
The_Brt wrote:
why cant characters react to it? (spike or retribution amulet)

They can... I have no idea why I wrote that.

Ignore that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Hansen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Nice plans all, hadnt thought about scarlet and zazu. Thanks for your answers and ideas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pinter
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The_Brt wrote:
This is obviously in reference to Hobsbawm, who if you cannot exhaust while dead would get a permanent attack and maybe would me more useful dead than alive.

So my hero card says that hobsbawm can only activate other heroes when within line of sight (LoS) to them. This is confirmed as correct by the game designer in this thread:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1286449/aq-hobsbawms-abilit...

Now, a quick search shows the card is incorrectly shown on the arcadia quest website, so I don't know if there are misprints out there which could cause some confusion. But, with the correct LoS rule, Hobsbawm's ability clearly won't trigger when he's dead and using Astral Strike.

Side note, I like the LoS rule on Hobsbawm. It's good because it balances his power, encouraging the player to draft cards like the boots/cloak to make him more effective (allowing other players to draft better cards which balances things a bit) but he's still got good combos with astral strike (when he's alive) and is good for extra turns regardless with nice magics like burninate allowing the player to clear out a lot of baddies at the beginning of games when maps are crowded while giving out extra activations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Hansen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Oh wow! Thanks for the info. My card reads exactly how it appears on the arcadia quest website "I he uses a Magic attack card and does not perform his Movement, you may activate another Allied hero.", don't know if yours or mine is the correct one. I still pick up the displacement cloak if I can to reposition him for his own attacks though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zzr600 wrote:
The_Brt wrote:

So my hero card says that hobsbawm can only activate other heroes when within line of sight (LoS) to them. This is confirmed as correct by the game designer in this thread:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1286449/aq-hobsbawms-abilit...

Now, a quick search shows the card is incorrectly shown on the arcadia quest website, so I don't know if there are misprints out there which could cause some confusion. But, with the correct LoS rule, Hobsbawm's ability clearly won't trigger when he's dead and using Astral Strike.

Side note, I like the LoS rule on Hobsbawm. It's good because it balances his power, encouraging the player to draft cards like the boots/cloak to make him more effective (allowing other players to draft better cards which balances things a bit) but he's still got good combos with astral strike (when he's alive) and is good for extra turns regardless with nice magics like burninate allowing the player to clear out a lot of baddies at the beginning of games when maps are crowded while giving out extra activations.

True about it not working when he is dead, but it is still an amazing spell for him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odyzeus Longbow
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about Seth, or any other Dead Hero using Astral Strike? do they still benefit from their abiltiies?

What if they are banished to the spawn tile?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.