Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Go Huskies!...oh, well
mbmbmbmbmb
National Talk Like a Pirate Day arrrh

Jim and Sonja's Place

Jim's dad, Gordon, was in town from Edinburgh. Last visit, we had played Power Grid and Evo, so I brought over PG and TtR:E. After a great dinner of salad and sardine curry, and a great dessert of, well, a combination of apple, oats, cinnamon, and cream that was very good, we set up TtR:E. Gordon seemed to pick up the rules pretty well. I drew Lisbon-Danzig as my long route, and chose to keep that and Kiev-Sochi and Riga-Bucaresti. As you can see, I have a bad habit of keeping too ambitious a route at the start of the game, and leaving myself with barely enough trains (and time) to finish them. This usually bites me in the ass, as I watch my competitors draw many extra tickets throughout the game.

Anyway, Gordon started out in Spain, and promptly clogged up every route through Barcelona, and then went North. Jim started in Zurich and spiderwebbed out from there. Sonja started out in Sochi(!) and built two of the three routes into the city. And Jill responded to Jim's builds by cutting a route north of the Alps. I had planned to build the Danzig-Warszaw link first, but Sonja's move forced me to bust out of Sochi first. I built Sevastapol-Bucaresti to gasps of indignation from Sonja devil and forged north until I had reached Danzig, at which point I was out of cards.

Gordon, meanwhile, continued to build like crazy along the west coast, and I began to realize that he was probably done with his tickets and was trying to end the game. So began the frustrating "two off the top" run that eventually gave me just enough cards to get to Lisbon. Gordon had run out of cards at that point, and was drawing every turn with just four trains. Jill and Jim drew tickets on consecutive turns. This all played into my hand, as I was able to build another four route and trigger game end.

In the final accounting, Gordon had over 50 points on the board, but hadn't completed either of his short routes ("Oh! Those count against you, do they?"), so he ended up in the low 60s. Jim was also burned by an incomplete route and had 84. Sonja had some nice routes and scored 98. Jill completed ALL of her little routes and scored 99. I had the longest train bonus, scored 66 off my trains (lots of 4-routes), and completed 38 points in tickets for 114 and a very satisfactory win.

We rounded off the night with 6 Nimmt!. Jim never trailed in the game, while Jill and I fought for last place, picking up an average of 12 points per round. Sonja got in on the loser action as well, and we ended up 67, 69, and 71, with Jim around 35. So not only did he win, but the other 3 of us lost in the same round. All in all, a fun night. Sonja was promised Tempvs for next week's session.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.