BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Works in Progress

Subject: [WIP] Atelia: A World Unfinished (working name) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charilaos Bacharis
msg tools
mb
Hello everyone,

This is my development journal, and a way for me to organize my thoughts, while also getting some feedback on the game mechanics as they develop.

This is my first game, done purely for my own amusement, and I tend find myself going for overcomplicated mechanics. Hopefully a journal where I have to write thing down will help me out.

So what is the game?

It is a dungeoncrawl, although my first aim is to build a demo of shorts, just an arena where I can test out the combat system.

Yeah, I know, a lot of dungeoncrawls going around but I find the genre interesting, and since this is just a hobby, that's all that matters.

As I explained my main focus right now is the combat and leveling system. Core concepts are below.

1) Deterministic. While I don't think that I will remove all chance from the game, I am trying to make combat itself free of it. Not sure I will succeed while keeping it interesting, but we will see.

2) Characters are in flux and you can change builds from scenario to scenario. The world the game takes place, is unfinished and the god that created it is dead. In this world you can do anything, as long as you have the Will and the knowledge to weave your thoughts into reality. Players use Will to fuel powerful actions or permanently (at least for the scenario) bind them in manifestations that give continuous buffs and skills, or even change their form.

A little vague perhaps, but I hoped I piqued your interest.

If you want to know a little more, a possible description of a 1st level battle is in the post below.

Re: Deterministic Combat

I will start explaining more in the next posts, but if you have any questions in the meantime, feel free to ask.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.