Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Caputo
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
the shadow mode stuff seems a bit wrong that you can attack and remain hidden.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Tonino
msg tools
At the constant cost of an action though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eirik Johnsbr├ąten
Norway
Notodden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We didn't see much of the "sneak by monsters" kind of gameplay that they have talked about earlier yet. I was hoping for more tactical options with the shadow mode, rather than just more powerful attacks (because of the reduction in defense).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Caputo
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Tonijn wrote:

even still, once you attack it seems off that you simply rehide. I understand at the start, hiding and ambushing, there should be some kind of failure chance or not at all. It should be for sneaking around and not for the middle of combat. Seems like its just a dice booster rather than something thematic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Moore
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Gotcha!
mbmbmbmbmb
Did it really take a whole hour to move all of 4 or 5 spaces? Seemed a bit of a slog really. Then again...there's a lot of combat and combat seems to take its toll on time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
ryolacap wrote:
Tonijn wrote:

even still, once you attack it seems off that you simply rehide. I understand at the start, hiding and ambushing, there should be some kind of failure chance or not at all. It should be for sneaking around and not for the middle of combat. Seems like its just a dice booster rather than something thematic.

I think it does still work thematically. If there is someone shooting arrows at you from the darkness they are still going to have an advantage each time even after the first arrow hits.

It would be interesting to see something more in line with the sneaking around they were talking about though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United Kingdom
Ipswich
flag msg tools
rcmoore4 wrote:
Did it really take a whole hour to move all of 4 or 5 spaces? Seemed a bit of a slog really. Then again...there's a lot of combat and combat seems to take its toll on time.

Yeah... I thought I was missing something but the slowness of movement seemed really odd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lepruk wrote:
rcmoore4 wrote:

Yeah... I thought I was missing something but the slowness of movement seemed really odd.

They were taking their time, explaining a lot of rules as they went. Once you're familiar with the game, it would go a lot faster, I'm sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Axton
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
It just seemed that at the end of each round the event just spawned another group of mobs which then took another whole round to kill when then spawned yet another group of mobs etc. The progression through the map seems to go at a snails pace because of this. Maybe only a small number of events spawn mobs and it was a bad example but I don't know. If the primary way of spawning mobs was entering rooms and only the occasional event caused it, then I imagine things would progress a lot faster
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Bieberbach
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
Lepruk wrote:
rcmoore4 wrote:

They were taking their time, explaining a lot of rules as they went. Once you're familiar with the game, it would go a lot faster, I'm sure.

Also, the loot rule of 1 item per room per round seemed to unnecessarily slow the game down. I don't want to start house-ruling before the game is even released but I'm thinking that rule might have to go unless there is some reason for it I'm not seeing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Cheow
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mb
Seriously cmon makes pretty bland gameplay vids for their kick starters. Generally it's better than the vid shows. Prime example I've experienced are Arcadia quest and blood rage
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
kbieb wrote:
Clipper wrote:
Lepruk wrote:
rcmoore4 wrote:

Also, the loot rule of 1 item per room per round seemed to unnecessarily slow the game down. I don't want to start house-ruling before the game is even released but I'm thinking that rule might have to go unless there is some reason for it I'm not seeing.

That part seemed odd to me. It was like there was a pile of stuff sitting on a table but you were only allowed to pick one thing up every few minutes, though it's fine if you grab something off the table in the next room...

The only reason I can see is if you have a group with weird dynamics that has one person grabbing everything but refusing to share. But outside of a family situation that person would probably not make it to another game so it wouldn't matter much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Rintjema
Canada
Beamsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
timma000 wrote:
It just seemed that at the end of each round the event just spawned another group of mobs which then took another whole round to kill when then spawned yet another group of mobs etc. The progression through the map seems to go at a snails pace because of this. Maybe only a small number of events spawn mobs and it was a bad example but I don't know. If the primary way of spawning mobs was entering rooms and only the occasional event caused it, then I imagine things would progress a lot faster

Agreed .. it seemed like bucket after bucket of minis tossed on each square and loot tokens galore to just slow your progress down as there are only a few tiles in the scenario itself.

I do like the fact that the bosses can use the loot they carry if able .. thought that was cool.

Will be waiting for turn 2 to see if anything changes my mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin John
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly I thought they were playing very inefficiently. The rogue barely did anything the first couple rounds, short of looting. The ranger ended up being unable to attack and then dead for a few rounds. Seemed like it would have gone smoother if they had stuck together and helped each other out.

The whole 'stay in shadow while attacking' did throw me off, especially after all the video games I've played told me that once you attack from stealth, you no longer stay in stealth. Still it kind of makes sense. If there's someone nearby you can melee attack you aren't likely to be focused on arrows coming at you from the dark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
actmoon wrote:
Seriously cmon makes pretty bland gameplay vids for their kick starters. Generally it's better than the vid shows. Prime example I've experienced are Arcadia quest and blood rage

The Blood Rage video made me never want to touch it let alone ever play it. This was at least better than that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky W
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
That part seemed odd to me. It was like there was a pile of stuff sitting on a table but you were only allowed to pick one thing up every few minutes, though it's fine if you grab something off the table in the next room...

The only reason I can see is if you have a group with weird dynamics that has one person grabbing everything but refusing to share. But outside of a family situation that person would probably not make it to another game so it wouldn't matter much.

Crazy idea: perhaps the stuff isn't on the table! Perhaps you have to search the room for something useful...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
carraway0877 wrote:
Quote:

Crazy idea: perhaps the stuff isn't on the table! Perhaps you have to search the room for something useful...

Still makes no sense. You search the room and find something. For some unknown reason you can't keep searching that room some more, but you can walk over to the next room and search in there? If you could only search once per turn I'd be fine with the idea, but being able to search twice as long as it's different rooms?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
QorDaq H'Nter
msg tools
tlhIngan QujwI'
badge
vay' DaneHbogh yIchargh!
mbmbmbmbmb
ryolacap wrote:
the shadow mode stuff seems a bit wrong that you can attack and remain hidden.

I was a little surprised by this element as well. And, I am a bit confused on how the mobs track the Highest XP Hero, who may be hiding. It would have been nice to see an example for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks interesting but I do think the combat looks a bit like a slog, in spite of what seemed like awkward play choices. The Zombicide system works well for zombies: fighting an unending horde is what that genre is about. For fantasy, I'm not sure it's as good. Are we really spawning a boss plus 6-12 minions in a six-player game? No thanks! I can't imagine playing this with more than four players and 2-3 seems more fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky W
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cormor321 wrote:
carraway0877 wrote:
Quote:

Still makes no sense. You search the room and find something. For some unknown reason you can't keep searching that room some more, but you can walk over to the next room and search in there? If you could only search once per turn I'd be fine with the idea, but being able to search twice as long as it's different rooms?

Well ok, searching should be once per player turn or once per action. As you explained it makes really no sense, agreed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Busha
China
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cormor321 wrote:
actmoon wrote:

The Blood Rage video made me never want to touch it let alone ever play it. This was at least better than that.

I didn't back the game because the video was so terrible. A huge mistake and I should have done my due diligence, but my word, that was super terrible.

This was better by leagues, I think they are improving, but it's still got a long way to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marko Parviainen
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
cormor321 wrote:
carraway0877 wrote:
Quote:

Maybe it's like this:

Barbarian shifts through a pile of rags.
"Oh, wow! Look at this shortsword! It's so shiny! Sibyl, look at this!"
"Shouldn't you, like, keep searching the room? You already have a short sword."
"Yeah, but not like this. It has a blue handle. My sword has a red handle. You didn't even take a look."
"Search the room, bro."
"In a bit. But look how MY new short sword glints in the torchlight!"

Maybe they just have to talk about stuff they found, so it takes a while to search the room throughly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

There should be a negative 'cost' for ''embracing the darkness'' such as the main boss having extra HP when you encounter them one point for every time your heores each "Embrace the Darkness". Or a card gets drawn from the monsters stack each time and at the end of a turn they all spawn or whatever. Are the rules up yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Bieberbach
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike B Canada wrote:

There should be a negative 'cost' for ''embracing the darkness'' such as the main boss having extra HP when you encounter them one point for every time your heores each "Embrace the Darkness". Or a card gets drawn from the monsters stack each time and at the end of a turn they all spawn or whatever. Are the rules up yet?

There's nothing supernatural about it, you're not "embracing the darkness", you're just staying in the shadows. At first it seems like being in stealth mode which is why it feels wrong but this isn't as powerful as stealth. There's no double damage or auto-crit, and you can't stay in shadows with mobs in the same space so it's really only for ranged attacks. Since it costs you 1/3 of your actions per turn to maintain it and all it does is reduce the defense of your target it seems properly balanced to me. If there are a lot of mobs and you can attack them without moving, it's probably a good play. If there are fewer mobs and/or you have to move to get in range, it may be better to use the action for another attack. In the video, I felt there were at least two times the wizard would have been more effective with an additional attack with potentially many swords/specials than he was staying in shadows which only saved him a few shields.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cretin Warlord
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
visit my blog The Necrollnomicon: Kitchener and Waterloo Board Game Events
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cormor321 wrote:
actmoon wrote:

Agreed. I still feel revulsion thinking about it.

For the Massive Darkness video, they definitely played inefficiently but the gist of the game still came across. There is going to be a ton of miniatures on the board and a ton of fairly streamlined combat. Looks like it's going to be a fun hack 'n slash dungeon crawler.

Keeping track of the monster health could become a pain though, I never liked cluttering boards with damage tokens beside miniatures and we won't be able to distinguish between 4-8 identical miniatures when they appear every round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.