Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
T Sheffield
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The throne of Scotland could be up for grabs, and you'd like to be first in line. You'll need to gather the strongest force of supporters, and you do that by playing cards of various rank and power into skirmishes (game rounds) against the other players. The highest strength skirmisher group will impress the best supporter (or two...) to join his side.

Each clan (suit) of warriors also has a special ability that may apply if played at the proper time, and can affect your hand, skirmishers, opponents, or potential supporters.

Laddie, this is a simple card game so you won't find a ton of theme here - but there is just a little bit. That's ok with this type of game, because it's not necessarily what we look for in something portable that plays quick. Although I will say that the game plays best when you are screening Braveheart on the corner TV. Don't beat me up over the historical disconnect here, I get it. Maybe Macbeth is a better choice.

PROS:
->The tension among players as they bluff and gamble with hidden skirmishers mounts as the stakes get higher with powerful supporters up for grabs. To me it has a poker-like feel at times.
->Surprise scoring swings are common, and unsuspected conquerors can emerge.
->Player progress feels balanced, with runaway leadership difficult due to having to commit so many resources to gain strong supporters, and the necessary subsequent recovery.

CONS:
->Artwork is definitely NOT to my taste, not even close.
->Not a fan of the "Take That!" mechanic.
->Quite heavy on luck.

In my experience this game plays best with 3+, it's not all that interesting with 2.

Despite the several direct player attacks, I appreciate that those make up only a minority of available special abilities and that it's easy to recognize and target the active leader, which doesn't bother me so much. I remain a little concerned about finding enough meat on the bone in terms of applying skill and strategy, because the game is very luck heavy and tactical. But the bottom line is I still had fun playing it. This descendant of clan Montgomery approves - overall, a cool little game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Sniper Review, Quick and Clean: Lords of Scotland
Underrated little game. Not for everyone, but careful planning can yield some very enjoyable tactical play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.