Hide
7 Posts

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Revamp the Dodge effect? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeffery Arnold
msg tools
Does anyone else not like how the dodge effect currently works in game? I don't see how the whole "discard this card to draw a card" mechanic properly represents "Dodge".

I was thinking about making a house rule that the Dodge keyword has the effect, "discard this card to avoid a Ambush, Fight, or Overrun effect. Dodge cannot be used to avoid Master Strikes, Scheme Twists, or Mastermind Tactics". Or, if that's too much, maybe just to avoid an Ambush effect? Then it would at least feel more like an actual dodge is happening but can't stop everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Mills
United Kingdom
Forest Row
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the way you think
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
My issue with dodge is solely the fact that it creates an infinite loop.

The only thing I thought about changing it is to add "you cannot dodge if your deck is empty" or something along those lines.

But you are asking from a thematic standpoint.

Honestly I don't see what the problem here is, the fact that you are not technically being fired at? Going by that issue, we might as well ask what is the point of playing a card with attack on it on the turn you didn't attack - what are you attacking exactly?

So I'm fine with dodge thematically as it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Arnold
msg tools
From a Thematic standpoint when you are playing an attack card you are still making an attack, even if it's just against the Mastermind, it's just that your attacks aren't landing if you don't have enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baier
United States
Grand Forks
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As some cards' designs may rely on the Dodge rule, as printed, perhaps append the Ambush dodging as 1 of 2 options:

“Dodge: During your turn, you may discard this card from your hand to draw another card or to ignore an Ambush that would effect you.”
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Arnold
msg tools
Ooh, that could work... Maybe even something like:

Dodge: Discard this card. Ignore an Ambush or Fight effect, otherwise draw a card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Brownell
United States
Twin Oaks
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Child0fTheMind wrote:
Ooh, that could work... Maybe even something like:

Dodge: Discard this card. Ignore an Ambush or Fight effect, otherwise draw a card.

You know, I rarely use Dodge cards now...but I would probably Recruit (and use) them a LOT more like this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.