Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Milan
United Kingdom
Kings Langley, Herts, UK
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I managed to bag the LoTR base game with the F&F and Sauran expansions.
Infact, seems like there are so many versions and items available on the fleabay.
However it seems like there are no copies of the Battlefields. Wondering why that is the case? Were these a limited expansion or did folks not get this as it was too different/difficult?

Cheers
D'pak

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Starbäck
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the other expansions and followed this eagerly before it was available, reading lots of reviews and when the rules were available only in German I struggled through them even though my German is subpar.

I was really looking forward to it, but then, when I finally held a copy in my hand I changed my mind and didn't buy it. I thought about the times I played LoTR, that sometimes we played with no expansion (because of what players were in the game), or otherwise with F&F. Sauron wasn't used that much, maybe because it was the cooperative game aspect that made us choose LoTR when we did.

So the reason I didn't buy it was more or less that LoTR with F&F was good as it was, and I suspected that more expansions would be used a lot in my groups. If others are like me, that's it. (But I would have liked to at least try it once. I wish someone else had bought it!!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stepen Street
United Kingdom
Haywards Heath
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mb
Because the English language version was multilingual (at least mine was), I suspect they did a more limited run of this expansion than others. I've certainly observed that since 2009 when I got mine, this has become very hard to get one's hands on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred D.
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mb
Battlefields was released in 2007, much later than the other two expansions (2001/2002). The expansion couldn't ride on the LotR hype and was therefore released in a much smaller print run and released onto fewer markets. It was more intended for the hardcore fans of the game.

I see two copies in the geekmarket at the moment, for quite reasonable prices as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milan
United Kingdom
Kings Langley, Herts, UK
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
star wrote:
I had the other expansions and followed this eagerly before it was available, reading lots of reviews and when the rules were available only in German I struggled through them even though my German is subpar.

I was really looking forward to it, but then, when I finally held a copy in my hand I changed my mind and didn't buy it. I thought about the times I played LoTR, that sometimes we played with no expansion (because of what players were in the game), or otherwise with F&F. Sauron wasn't used that much, maybe because it was the cooperative game aspect that made us choose LoTR when we did.

So the reason I didn't buy it was more or less that LoTR with F&F was good as it was, and I suspected that more expansions would be used a lot in my groups. If others are like me, that's it. (But I would have liked to at least try it once. I wish someone else had bought it!!)

Hi Stephen: I did see some stats as to how much sales a games had per expansion, and you are right, the later expansions don't make so much money, so I suppose it was not produced in such quantities. And having it as multi-lingual in this case, meant even less of a production quantity.

Alfred D. I did not the geekmarket, but for the price of one Battlefield expansion, I have been able to buy the base game and the other two expansions, so I question whether it really is 3 times that much more fun. I was hoping at a price half that.

Per: Fantastic answer. I think I am buying this for the Co-op feel and will be introducing new players so not sure if we'll ever get to use that expansion. I think for now I am going to stick to base and after a 1/2 dozen plays do the F&F. So, even Sauron, may be surplus.

thanks for saving me money!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred D.
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mb
Milan, if you have been able to get the base game plus the 2 first expansions for about 25 (EUR/UKP/USD) then that was a bargain. I read that those exp. are getting harder to find as well.

As for the price of Battlefields, €25 is around the price it was brand new, if I recall (perhaps even more). So for a limited print item, reasonably rare, it isn't an inflated price in my opinion and well worth it if you really want to complete the game.

IMO: Is Battlefields good? Yes it is. Is it a required buy? Not at all.

Of course, for the €25 you can get a brand new recent game too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You should also be aware that Battlefields is a multi-language box in other versions than English. So if you see a German version, chances are it'll include English and French cards as well (rulebook has all three languages). Best ask the seller if possible (unless you're adamant about getting to tear the shrink-wrap yourself , nothing wrong with that fetish cool ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Methot
Canada
SAINTE-JULIE
QUEBEC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
You should also be aware that Battlefields is a multi-language box in other versions than English. So if you see a German version, chances are it'll include English and French cards as well (rulebook has all three languages). Best ask the seller if possible (unless you're adamant about getting to tear the shrink-wrap yourself , nothing wrong with that fetish cool ).

That is correct - I have an international version of Battlefields (French box) and it does include the cards in all 3 languages (French, English, German).

I'm selling my LOTR complete set on the GM for a good price if anyone is interested. Base game + first 2 expansions French Tilsit version, Battlefield is the multilingual one. Everything like new.

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.