Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hugh Wyeth
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I've just blasted through The Long Dark pack in the Khazad Dum cycle with a spirit only deck, comprising frodo, glorfindel and eowyn. I'm finding certain scenarios very easy with this deck, with the occasional scenario requiring some leadership heroes to bring more attack power.

Essentially, unless I get multiple enemies from the scenario deck in the initial turns, I can build up willpower to over 10 every turn with frodo taking any damage as threat increase from any enemies that come from the deck, meaning the questing phase allows me to put a load of progress tokens on the scenario card and usually getting through it pretty quick. I never get near 50 threat with this deck, though occasionally will just be slaughtered by too many enemies.

I was wondering if anyone else had used a single sphere deck for some scenarios, or if you think it's not as fun? I sometimes feel like I've found a loophole in the game because of how easy some scenarios are with the deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
glorfindel feels like a loop hole dunno which site did it but they did a good pro and cons discussion on him and other characters and cards, where they come to the conclusion not broken :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stoyan Taskonidis
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that most of the opinions are, that the Spirit is the strongest sphere. Yes, not good at fighting, but probably best or second in all other aspects (questing, card manipulating etc).

For instance it is insane to play with mono-tactic, but as you said with mono-spirit you won the quest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Wyeth
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the responses guys! Didn't know the deck was a "known" deck! I just stumbled on it whilst I was deck building, and thought that it seemed to be extremely complementary between the three characters. For example, frodo's mere 2 defense can be increased easily, meaning he can soak a lot of damage up. Even when there's no defender, using frodo to soak up the damage won't result in his death. Then the card (can't remember the name) that allows you to commit a character to a quest without exhausting fixes glorfindel's only flaw. I'm sure it'll be useless in those quests with lots of enemies, and more powerful enemies (trolls would probably clean up all three heroes in a couple of rounds i imagine), but it's perfect for the first two cycles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Wyeth
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
deeth82 wrote:
I believe it was the Hall of Beorn where I first saw the Eowyn-Frodo-Glorfindel deck construction. After building the recommended deck, I took it for a spin and cake-walked through many of the earlier quests that simply required quest tokens. On quests where you were required to kill a certain enemy/number of enemies, or certain other non-quest-token criteria, it sometimes seemed to fall a little flat, but I've still got that same deck ready to go in my set (with a few tweaks). I usually run a two-handed solo game with Spirit and Tactics now, which seems to [mostly] win the day.

Yeah when I play two handed, it's always with two single sphere decks, usually spirit/tactics or spirit/leadership.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Walton
United States
Ada
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mono Spirit is my favorite way to play. Like others have said here a mono Spirit and mono Tactics deck is a great way to win. I've been running that combo since the beginning of the Grey Havens and I've been able to beat all of those and the new AP's. I've since gone back and beaten Dread Realm, Carn Dum, and Rhudaur with them as well. Kinda starting to miss the other spheres though lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Wyeth
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
toliveischrist77 wrote:
Mono Spirit is my favorite way to play. Like others have said here a mono Spirit and mono Tactics deck is a great way to win. I've been running that combo since the beginning of the Grey Havens and I've been able to beat all of those and the new AP's. I've since gone back and beaten Dread Realm, Carn Dum, and Rhudaur with them as well. Kinda starting to miss the other spheres though lol.

Have you tried nightmare scenarios yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Walton
United States
Ada
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hughwyeth wrote:
toliveischrist77 wrote:

Have you tried nightmare scenarios yet?

Not with these two particular decks. I might soon though as these are probably the most powerful decks I've come up with on my own and I'm enjoying watching every scenario they play get handled pretty easily. The fun thing about them is that they are both so simple. The Spirit deck is Eowyn, Arwyn, and Cirdan and it literally just quests as hard as a deck could. 11 willpower on the heroes turn one with plenty of good allies to contribute. And then on the other side is Aragorn, Beregond, and Beorn handily disposing of any enemies. Between Beregond and Beorn any early enemies are easily defended and then the deck is full of high attack allies to help finish them off.

So basically I just boiled the game down to its most basic essence. Quest and fight. No healing, little card draw or resource acceleration. But to the point of the thread I think being mono sphere is a big part of why they work so well. They are very consistent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.