Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So. I haven't looked into the game, I'm sure it's mentioned in various threads here, in short, what's the problem?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
Have a look at this thread, there's a great summary there: Summary of findings/risks of LOAD campaign and Archon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
He probably accepted money from Prodos and so he gave LOAD a favorable review. Nick accepted money and was upfront about it, hell he went so far as to call his video a commercial, so it's unlikely Lance didn't receive the same compensation.

The worst part is that because he wasn't upfront about it you can damn well bet that he's been receiving payment for a slew of reviews he's done in the past. There is a reason he almost exclusively reviews Kickstarter games now . . .

Money trumps credibility, it seems. I guess I'll have to stick with Tom, Joel, and Rahdo. Rahdo gives every game a thumbs up too, but he says he doesn't accept payment and I take him at his word. He's just an enthusiastic dude, I guess. Tom for sure doesn't accept payment and usually sells the games he receives to fund the Jack Vasel Memorial. I doubt Joel accepts payment, since he doesn't seem to review a lot of Kick games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett MacDonald
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haslo wrote:
Have a look at this thread, there's a great summary there: Summary of findings/risks of LOAD campaign and Archon

Yup! See that thread and feel free to post any questions there. I'd be happy to help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett MacDonald
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
broken clock wrote:
Money trumps credibility, it seems. I guess I'll have to stick with Tom, Joel, and Rahdo. Rahdo gives every game a thumbs up too, but he says he doesn't accept payment and I take him at his word. He's just an enthusiastic dude, I guess. Tom for sure doesn't accept payment and usually sells the games he receives to fund the Jack Vasel Memorial. I doubt Joel accepts payment, since he doesn't seem to review a lot of Kick games.

Sad but true.

For what it's worth on Rahdo... he is funded by his KS so I firmly believe he is not paid. He also has a running list/page somewhere that shows how many negative reviews he has given compared to positive. It shows he gives a decent amount of games bad reviews (although it also confirms he does a lot more positive than negative). He went on to say it's because he doesn't want to waste time on games he knows he won't like. He gets so many submitted that any game he does has already passed through the filter of "hey me and Jen might like this" etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I'll look.

I threw in an early backing due to the every so hateful early bird things even though in this case it's just one mini but it also look pretty of course, though video game adaptations into boardgames I guess often fail to live up to the boardgame but also now I'm kinda have this feeling that I'm not all that interested in worker-placement resource-gathering 2000.0 either. It's been done before =P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilbert Tobal
Spain
Cobeña
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
broken clock wrote:
He probably accepted money from Prodos and so he gave LOAD a favorable review. Nick accepted money and was upfront about it, hell he went so far as to call his video a commercial, so it's unlikely Lance didn't receive the same compensation.

The worst part is that because he wasn't upfront about it you can damn well bet that he's been receiving payment for a slew of reviews he's done in the past. There is a reason he almost exclusively reviews Kickstarter games now . . .

Thats not exactly how Rahdo works. Rahdo is an ex videogame developer and he's gone on record saying he doesnt like to trash other people's work. If he doesn't find a game to be good, he just won't do a run through. If its for a kickstarter, he'll talk with the designer about the game's shortcomings first and then ask if they still want him to do the runthrough. Thats why you rarely, if ever, see Rahdo review games he doesn't believe in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
gvt2000 wrote:
broken clock wrote:

Thats not exactly how Rahdo works. Rahdo is an ex videogame developer and he's gone on record saying he doesnt like to trash other people's work. If he doesn't find a game to be good, he just won't do a run through. If its for a kickstarter, he'll talk with the designer about the game's shortcomings first and then ask if they still want him to do the runthrough. Thats why you rarely, if ever, see Rahdo review games he doesn't believe in.

Oh, I know exactly how Rahdo works, which is why I very rarely watch his final thoughts and instead watch only his great rules explanation and play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff ...
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
broken clock wrote:
Oh, I know exactly how Rahdo works, which is why I very rarely watch his final thoughts and instead watch only his great rules explanation and play.

He often reveals interesting info that may be pertinent during his final thoughts. For a recent example, he said that while the new Vikings Gone Wild deck builder is a great design, the 2P game is weak.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.