David Scheele
Germany
L√ľneburg
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there,

i just bought a copy of this one. This is my first own TtR game. I played before but never had my own.

Now i got this becuase I heard it's one of the "nicer" non-cutthroat versions of TtR. I believe that is because of the trainstations eh?

But anyway, when reading the rules and playing for the first time, we skipped tunnel rules, because they seemed to add an unnecessary extra luck component to the game for us, which we didnt want.

Do you think not using the rules for tunnels takes away something big and/or imbalances the board somehow?

We will try with tunnels next, but I'm pretty sure already we will not like it.

As I'm a newcomer to the TtR world, I don#t know if its a bad idea to take out some rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It may slightly unbalance the routes that use the tunnels, but I wouldn't think by much. I've never tried NOT playing the tunnels rule though, so couldn't say if it affects things in practice...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'm not sure about whether or not it's unbalanced if you ignore the tunnel rules, but not using those rules does take choices away, which is never a good thing. Don't forget that the luck element can be entirely mitigated simply by having enough of the right colour cards in your hand.

It's a rookie mistake to go to the tunnels without back up cards - unless you're *really* good at card counting, that is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
mbmbmbmbmb
The tunnels in the middle of the board are really bad. Not only is it a poor route to take due to all the short routes (fewer points, more turn actions wasted), but dealing with all the tunnels makes it worth even less. We ignore the tunnel rules because otherwise these destinations makes it much harder to win or everyone just ignores them completely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cornixt wrote:
The tunnels in the middle of the board are really bad. Not only is it a poor route to take due to all the short routes (fewer points, more turn actions wasted), but dealing with all the tunnels makes it worth even less. We ignore the tunnel rules because otherwise these destinations makes it much harder to win or everyone just ignores them completely.
Can there by any middle ground in this case? Then those routes seem to be easy pickings otherwise. However, I wouldn't know how to balance it to make tunnels "less awful", but still not make those routes a pushover.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArrBeeDee Dial
United States
Lexington Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
I am working on overcoming my AP. Here is my 'to do' plan ...so far: 1).
mbmbmbmbmb
Loss of a train-lay due to the tunnel rules makes the press-your-luck piece of Europe important. I like that there is a risk whenever you lay those trains.

I have blocked and been blocked by a risky move. I think the tunnel rules help balance the stations and keep the game from being 'soft and easy'... maybe not unbalancing but why remove them unless you are playing/teaching children.

A gateway can have challenge points. I think tunnels are a good challenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
Blue Mountains
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I like the tunnels. They add spice, but if you wanted to remove the luck element but still keep some of their difficulty, you could simply make them cost an extra ticket or two - decide which before you start, but still keep the same scoring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M S
msg tools
Hi,

I'm completely new to the game and in the first game against my kids we took it slow with the rules and didn't use the tunnel rule. Due to the tickets my 8 year-old among other things easily built the tunnels from Budapest and that helped him win by a large margin. Not the best example but if you look at the most expensive tracks to build, they are the Palermo ferry, Stockholm-Petrograd and Budapest-Kyiv tunnels. Since they bring considerably more points they should be tougher to make and that is the purpose of the engines and the tunnel mechanic.

I'd say excluding the tunnel mechanic causes imbalance and the first guy to get 8 trains easily gets and unfair advantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.