21 Posts

Massive Darkness» Forums » General

Subject: No Pop-Culture references? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Bailey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Was curious if we were going to have pop-culture references or not, which is often seen in many CMON games, especially Zombicide. Looks like that may not be the case this time around.

Do you think we will eventually see any? Maybe for higher stretch goals?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Leslie
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Iron Golem is very similar looking to the Iron Giant, so I think we've already gotten a pop-culture reference. I expect more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo Battarra
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
mb

I know I'm gonna be in minority, but I really hope not…
I'd prefer if they keep such references to the Zombicide games (and even for them, imho, they are becoming quite boring..)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Coyotenomad wrote:
The Iron Golem is very similar looking to the Iron Giant, so I think we've already gotten a pop-culture reference. I expect more.

Yup, that is definitely an homage. I haven't looked closely enough at the others to check. I think they will be far fewer, though, since the monsters don't easily lend themselves to the gimmick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Please no more....

They are fun to an extent, but we have sooooooo many from BP. I am just as happy to see original characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimhalo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope not, it detracts from the theme. Even the wild variation of roaming monsters has put me off a little.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do Conan, Gandalf, and the Iron Giant not count?

And I really hope they don't make anymore pop culture, or generic fantasy references. This game had the chance to be something really unique, and cool. But instead we have generic fantasy with nothing original injected into it.

Based on the popularity of their franchises, I don't see why they had to stick with such a generic and bland theme. I really feel CMoN dropped the ball on creating something unique and original.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Andersson
Sweden
BANDHAGEN
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree. I hope this game stays clear of pop culture references.
I very much like it as it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dafrca
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the whole Pop-Culture thing worked for Zombicide because they were set up like movies. So the Pop-Culture thing fit the theme of the games.

I am just not too sure we need to have them in MD nor do we need to try and force each hero into some reference. Just my .02
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hoyt
United States
East Liverpool
Ohio
flag msg tools
ボルトン
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I like the "fresh take" on a well worn genre...

The Iron Giant is the only one that stands out at the moment...

Though couldn't just about any fantasy character be derivative of Tolkien's work? or Dungeons and Dragons typical Fantasy Troupes? And considering it's recent popularity (past decade and a 1/2) wouldn't that make them pop culture references... couldn't you say the Giant spider is a Shelob reference?

I am hoping we don't get a Drizzt. Although I would totally dig an adventure group based off of the Dragonlance characters.

A heroic character based off of Slaine, Bisely's version.

Even Hero's from the Belgariad would be cool.

I don't think you could ever really get away from the Archetypes. AS they are a major part of what "defines" Fantasy. But I think Guillotine Games/CMon are doing a good job so far. That new Stockily Built Female Mage is a really unique addition.

~Will

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dafrca wrote:
I think the whole Pop-Culture thing worked for Zombicide because they were set up like movies. So the Pop-Culture thing fit the theme of the games.

I am just not too sure we need to have them in MD nor do we need to try and force each hero into some reference. Just my .02

I willing to be we'll see some reference to the Fellowship of the Ring at the very least. Probably somebody from Willow, and perhaps even Excalibur.

While they might not grab pop-culture references from modern-setting movies, it's a sure bet we'll see more from fantasy movies along the lines of Conan and Gandalf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
MatBat wrote:
I know I'm gonna be in minority, but I really hope not…
I'd prefer if they keep such references to the Zombicide games (and even for them, imho, they are becoming quite boring..)

AMEN!

The joke is getting really old.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghool wrote:
While they might not grab pop-culture references from modern-setting movies, it's a sure bet we'll see more from fantasy movies along the lines of Conan and Gandalf.

With the way they've pushed this as a companion to Z:BP, they may not want to duplicate things between them. We got a Conan in Z:BP and I can imagine the outcry if they put in stretch goals or add-ons that duplicate what was in that campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dafrca
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghool wrote:
I willing to be we'll see some reference to the Fellowship of the Ring at the very least. Probably somebody from Willow, and perhaps even Excalibur.

Although, I could also see them holding back most of those for a Zombicide Black Plague Season 2. Keep this game's focus on Fantasy RPG/Story Tropes and let Zombicide continue to be where the movie references show up. But I admit I don't know their plans, just thoughts I have had.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
QorDaq H'Nter
msg tools
tlhIngan QujwI'
badge
vay' DaneHbogh yIchargh!
mbmbmbmbmb
dafrca wrote:

I have to agree with this. If anything, I fear that CMoN has started to paint themselves into a corner with the references. MD gives the devs a chance to focus on their setting and theme for the game, while maintaining some of the basics of Zcide-like gameplay.

I guess we'll see in the long run, but I won't actually be too bothered by it if there are clever Easter eggs tucked in as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guilly Berto
United States
flag msg tools
Honestly I wouldn't mind seeing a few halflings, we already have elves, orcs, trolls, a wizard who looks like Gandalf the grey, and what not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Roberts
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be nice if they kept the pop culture references to Zombicide so that I only have one game system to ignore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samanar
Poland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Coyotenomad wrote:

Am I the only person around who plays on PC? This is such an obvious rip-off from Mordekaiser (champion from League of Legends - LOL) that it's not even funny. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason G.
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow not a lot of love for the pop culture references. I like them, they are kind of fun and bring up a laugh or a topic of conversation whenever some notices. All positives for me. But like someone else said some D&D referenced monsters would be cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar Iglesias
Spain
Alcobendas
Madrid
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep pop-culture reference to a minimun, and make a game with its own personality.

References are fun, but kills anything unique in your game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
samanar wrote:
Coyotenomad wrote:

Am I the only person around who plays on PC? This is such an obvious rip-off from Mordekaiser (champion from League of Legends - LOL) that it's not even funny. cool

Old farts like me don't play video games anymore. At least ones that are relevant to today's youth culture. whistle

But yeah, you're right. This looks a lot more like the Iron Golem than the Iron Giant. But the League Of Legends boss looks as though he's heavily influenced by the Iron Giant himself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.