Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: help with American-based game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Looking for Civil War or Revolutionary War game, playable solo (ideally solo-designed because I can't 'play both sides' very easily or happily).
Prefer something available new if possible. My research thus far leaves me stumped.

Liberty or Death: not interested in playing a COIN series game
Don't Tread On Me: The American Revolution Solitaire Board Game: seems claustrophobic and too procedural and long. Despite great reviews, this doesn't seem the game for me
The U.S. Civil War: looks great but I'd have to play both sides
Navajo Wars: maaaaaybe, but I haven't spent a lot of time investigating as I was thinking something a bit more traditional. Also now seems to be unavailable from GMT
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2sherman2 wrote:
Looking for Civil War or Revolutionary War game, playable solo (ideally solo-designed because I can't 'play both sides' very easily or happily).
Prefer something available new if possible. My research thus far leaves me stumped.

Liberty or Death: not interested in playing a COIN series game
Don't Tread On Me: The American Revolution Solitaire Board Game: seems claustrophobic and too procedural and long. Despite great reviews, this doesn't seem the game for me
The U.S. Civil War: looks great but I'd have to play both sides
Navajo Wars: maaaaaybe, but I haven't spent a lot of time investigating as I was thinking something a bit more traditional. Also now seems to be unavailable from GMT

Those are all the options I know of as far as the Revolutionary War goes. There just aren't many Revolutionary War games, and there aren't many solo games, either. You're going to need to relax your criteria.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Thompson
United States
Taylor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Old Ironsides being overflown by the Blue Angels
mbmbmbmbmb
For the ACW, the only solo ones that I can think of off the top of my head are The Lost Cause, a State of Siege game from Victory Point Games, and The Confederate Rebellion from White Dog Games. I've not played the latter, but have played Lost Cause. That one, at the time of it's release, was a beefed up State of Siege game. Now, it would probably be considered a mid-range game of that series in complexity and length. It is also a game that VPG has talked about reworking into a new edition. I thought that the game was OK and traded it away after a couple of plays.

As for AWI games, Aaron is spot on. Not many options out there if you are truly interested in soloing the conflict. I haven't played Liberty or Death: The American Insurrection, so can't speak about that one, but Don't Tread On Me: The American Revolution Solitaire Board Game is fantastic. Yes, it's long. Yes, it can be procedural. But it provides an outstanding narrative and has a great feel about trying to put down a rebellion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DownriverRick wrote:
Don't Tread On Me: The American Revolution Solitaire Board Game is fantastic. Yes, it's long. Yes, it can be procedural. But it provides an outstanding narrative and has a great feel about trying to put down a rebellion.

Might have to bite the bullet on Don't Tread on Me, if I really have covered most of the options. I didn't know of the SoS game, but that is another system which I liked and play for what it was, but not wanting that again. Will look at the White Dog game but not sure that is available...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Hon
Canada
Maple
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is In Magnificent Style about Pickett's Charge.

Also Mosby's Raiders about John Mosby's raids in the Union rear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taskforce 58 wrote:
There is In Magnificent Style about Pickett's Charge.

Also Mosby's Raiders about John Mosby's raids in the Union rear.
Thank you!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
AWI: "Hold the Line" (Worthington) is easily learned, and soloable. New deluxe edition on the way after a successful KS campaign. Mounted board, figures, multiple scenarios.

GMT's AWI battles line is very good and can be soloed. Guilford Courthouse is a good one to start with.

ACW: "A House Divided" is also easily learned and deals with the entire American Civil War (no naval). David Kershaw also has an excellent ACW solo design out.

"Battle Cry" is a simple ACW battle game, on about the same complexity scale as HtL. Unlike HtL, BC features card-activated units, but I've played several hundred solo games very enjoyably by the simple expedient of not looking at a side's newly-drawn card until that side's next turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zigi Hogan
United States
The Ozarks
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
What's it going to be then, eh?
mbmbmbmbmb

For solo play The U.S. Civil War is a good game to choose; you don't need as much a split personality as you do with other games. If you haven't played it before don't be intimidated by the length of the rule book it is a surprisingly easy game to learn.

Devil's Den is a great game to solo; I have only played this solo and have enjoyed each play through. I haven't had a chance to get in a F2F game so I can't compare the two but it is good solo. This gives a tactical feel and really forces you to make good choices or get smashed. I think it is somewhat inexpensive even though it is OOP so finding it shouldn't be a problem.

I have had The Lost Cause for some time and it has a good reputation as a State of Siege solo game but I have been unable to get it to my table. I really enjoyed Zulus on the Ramparts! and Lost Cause uses the same system but at a slightly greater complexity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
1775 Rebellion may fit what you are looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps ACW Solitaire or THE UNION ABLAZE: A Solitaire Game of the American Civil War (1861-1865).? (I have not played them.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John LeBlanc
United States
Plaistow
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For Rev War, check out End of Empire. The leader activation rules make it well suited for solitaire (IMO)

End of Empire: 1744-1782
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Doran
United States
Columbia
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the Revolution, you might try 1776, the old Avalon Hill game. Not too hard to find on the secondary market, and still has a dedicated group supporting it. It an be played solo, in part because cards are used to set tactical formations, and when I play solo, I just shuffle the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pnp fanatic
msg tools
If you want to move slightly in time (1754-62) there is Empires in America - The French and Indian War:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/53624/empires-americ...

Just got a new edition and they have it in stock at Amazon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.