Quick Word

I first came upon Hey, That’s My Fish! via a downloadable app on my kindle. I played it a few times but against a CPU it was only so-so (which is the main reason I have issues playing video games for more than 20 minutes). However, my five year old son caught me playing and Judah asked if he could try. I figured the nature of trying to go for the most amount of fishes while trying to keep yourself from being trapped and managing multiple pawns would be too much for him but I acquiesced. Of course, as is so often the case, I was wrong and he was right. The success of fun had by both him and his two year old brother (with my help) led to be my buying the board game version.

Brief Game Synopsis

Players take turns maneuvering penguins over a map made of hexagon shaped tiles contain between 1 and 3 fish. When the penguin leaves the tile it is on it removes the tile, eats the fish, and scores that number of fish as points. The player who eats the most fish at the end of the game gets heartburn…and the win…because I assume they turned the fish into fishsticks…because…penguins totally eat fishsticks.

Toys With Rules

Hey, That’s My Fish! is a small, non-complicated game with a small, non-complicated set of rules. My version is the small box Fantasy Flight so as per the expectation, the rulebook is glossy and well laid out – but that is not exactly much of a feat as the game is so simple (to learn, not necessarily simple to master).

Boards ‘N Bits

It is a Fantasy Flight game, so it is pretty and shiny and pretty and functional and pretty. Each of the four penguins you control has different molds and my son likes to examine them and dance with them.
My only real complaint is a double edged one. I love that the game is so small and compact but it means that the tiles themselves are fairly small and my son has some issues taking them without disturbing the other tiles in the grid. Not a big issue or anything, just something he has gotten annoyed with during gameplay.

My Thoughts

This is a quick enough game that I do not mind playing it a few times here and the but there is honestly not much I am wowed about. There are other 2-4 player games that hit the same itch (Ninja Camp) but this is easier to explain and does not require reading so I find I can get it played more often.

One thing that cracks me up is the main reason my sons like playing the app is because they like seeing the animation of the whale coming up and eating the penguin when they get stuck on a tile and unable to leave. The board game does not have that and I didn’t give it a second thought. However, my sons complained about it and then found an old rubber whale that they now use to eat the penguins. Judah did this in front of some adults in my gaming group and now when they play it, the guys in my group ask for “the rubber whale treatment”…it is…awkward…

Son’s Thoughts

Here is the conversation I had with my five-year old about the game:

JUDAH: I really like a few things about Hey, That’s My Fish! Like that you can trap the others people’s penguins and then the other people’s penguins can only get a couple of points. If you do it really smart, you can make penguins on the edges get stuck on island if the player is not paying attention. But if the other people, if the other, the other guy, he can then trap your penguin.
ME: Judah, buddy, you know the point of the game is to collect the most points (fishes), not to necessary just trap the other players penguins.

JUDAH: Heh heh. Well, dad, when I play, I will always trap your penguins.

ME: I could try and stop you since I now know your strategy.

JUDAH: You haven’t been able to yet. But yeah, if you trap the other person penguins then it would be harder for them to win. It’s just a really weird idea for a game, but I like it and I like penguins. The only thing I do not like about it is that when a penguin is trapped then no whale comes and eats them (as stated, this happens in the app version he was first introduced to the game through and he has attempted to remedy the situation himself).

Pro’s

+ Size makes it easily portable
+ Easy and quick to setup and teach

Con’s

- Size makes tiles unwieldly for small fingers
- No whale to eat the last penguin

Purchase, Play, or Pass

I think this game is a Play. It is not expensive or anything, but I suggest testing the app out if possible first to see if it capsizes your dingy (or floats your toboggan or whatever idiom you prefer).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Was this accidentally put in the session category (it reads, and is titled like a review)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
*off to find a toy whale*

I enjoyed reading your review!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BoardSoNeverBored wrote:

Con’s

- Size makes tiles unwieldly for small fingers
- No whale to eat the last penguin

I've offered to pick up tiles for my children (now 8 & 6). Playing on carpet and leaving some space between the tiles also help. I've seen someone suggest using nerf suction darts (or similar) to pick up the tiles. There's also at least one printable board in the files section that allows you to space the tiles out more.

I love the whale comment

BoardSoNeverBored wrote:

It is not expensive or anything, but I suggest testing the app out if possible first to see if it capsizes your dingy (or floats your toboggan or whatever idiom you prefer).

Or try out the pen & paper version
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zabdiel wrote:
Or try out the pen & paper version

Or give it a try on yucata.de (free online game portal where you can play against other human opponents). Unfortunately, this one is whale-free, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
entwife wrote:
Was this accidentally put in the session category (it reads, and is titled like a review)?

Sorry, new to Reviews. How do I correct that? I did not see the option under Edit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zabdiel wrote:
I've seen someone suggest using nerf suction darts (or similar) to pick up the tiles.

This makes so much sense. Wish I had thought of it but thanks for mentioning it as I will just add a dart to the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only admins can move threads. You can click the little red cross at the very top, and pick "wrong forum": Moving a thread to a different forum

Edit: If that doesn't work (I think the more people mark it "wrong forum", the more likely someone will notice), https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Admins also lists an admin with thread moving powers but I'd just mark it and see if it gets moved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BoardSoNeverBored wrote:
Sorry, new to Reviews. How do I correct that? I did not see the option under Edit.

Only an admin can change. You can click the cross on your post and click "wrong forum" and hopefully it'll get moved. I've flagged it already but I think if more people flag the admins are more likely to notice.

Edit: ninja'd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zabdiel wrote:
BoardSoNeverBored wrote:

Only an admin can change. You can click the cross on your post and click "wrong forum" and hopefully it'll get moved. I've flagged it already but I think if more people flag the admins are more likely to notice.

Edit: ninja'd

Thank you. I flagged it as well. Stupid mistake. Between Monday and yesterday I submitted 10 reviews and it seems I put 2 of them in the incorrect forum. I flagged the other one as well. I will have to try and be extra cognizant when I post my next set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I flagged them both, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.