7 Posts

Level 7 [Omega Protocol]» Forums » General

Subject: Mission 2 with three commando's rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lord Trouble
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've played mission one thrice and mission two twice now.

While the first few times the commando's felt that the OS was overpowered, I didn't quite agree with them.

However we played mission 2 again and we had a pretty nasty situation:
1 - Adrenaline shortage for the OverSeer (Mask taking away 3 adrenaline each turn, Commando's not spending a lot and disruptor making it cost twice as much adrenaline to activate most of my clones).
This basicly meant I did very little other than a cave in every 2-3 turns (not much fun for me).
2 - Once the Fear Hunter spawned and in turn 6 the second one it was a waiting game for me to get two into range.
Once I did one commando was history and it was pretty much game over.

The players feel horribly underpowered, while still reducing my adrenaline income so much that I never use abilities as hasten, frenzy etc as I simply can't pay for them.

With some careful placement and movement I can reduce their kit abilities effectiveness (no line of sight, stealth etc).

They also dislike being forced to use a certain stance because the others simply have too few movement points.
(We already stopped using the feet rule from the expansion).

I, on the other hand simply dont even try activating clones to attack someone with defense 5 (or above).

Seeing the various, the OS is too powerful and too weak threads I figure its mostly due to the amount of commandos. Where three is simply too few and five is simply too many.

However if players chose kits like taunter drone, masker etc, 4 may already be too much for the OS (it's insane you only get 4 adrenaline, because you still had some in the bank for a big attack) and then have to attack marines with defense 5 (with the ability to further increase that).

I would be very interesting to your opinions and experiences, especially in relation to the amount of commando's.
As we like the concept of the game, however its dangerously close to being filed in the games cupboard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lord Trouble
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was curious on what I put my players through and decided to make a party of 3 commando's and do a solo game.
(Flipping a coin to see if they would go left or right as I knew the shortest path).

Considering the game doesn't change much (other than a refresh rate here and a max spawn there) the commando's basicly have fewer choices as one really needs certain defenses and crowd control abilities.
I stopped playing at round 9, where the commando's had about 50% of their max wounds, killed the first Fear Hunter (with great difficulty) and managed to take back control of the board.

With the use of triggered explosives, grenades and barricade they would've been able to heal up and advance in say round 10.

This round the crisis point would trigger and a second fear hunter would spawn, which would force the commando's into the defenses and prepare for it.

While it certainly isnt impossible, I would say a 3 commando game needs definate tweaking. The fear hunters with m2 stats are too tough (especially the to hit) and because of the turtling a game takes way way too long.

Funny enough it also solved the OverSeer's problem of not getting enough Adrenaline. I got more than I could use, though the big refresh feels still way way too expensive.

Solving the three people problem can be solved by letting the team add a fourth commando, the playtime is still a major issue as we have 3 hours max.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CK Lai
Malaysia
Subang Jaya
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The commandos managed to win Mission 2 with 3 commandos. But I suspect it was due to a combo of good dice rolls, choosing the path with least resistance and the Overseer being too confident he could overcome the commandos with the Fear Hunter. (At this point, the campaign was Overseer: 1; Commandos: 1).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lord Trouble
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It also seems to make the game a lot longer due to the balancing issues (roomcards spawn the same number of aliens for 3,4 and 5 players).

Going to go with 4 commandos next time
(As its not really using houserules)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CK Lai
Malaysia
Subang Jaya
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't that also when aliens recover 1 wound each Overseer Phase if there's 4 or 5 commandos?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lord Trouble
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I dont remember that rule but then again clones have no wounds to heal... they need a reanimate

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CK Lai
Malaysia
Subang Jaya
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
troubular wrote:
I dont remember that rule but then again clones have no wounds to heal... they need a reanimate

Well, there are a larger aliens. The Fear Hunters take 4 wounds to put down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.