Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a One Word Wonder blast from the past. I created this puzzle for Tanga about 9 years ago and just stumbled across it on an old flash drive. Can you figure out the one word answer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Shouldn't the clue for #9 be "Orthanc and Barad-Dûr"? I mean, sure, your clue is technically right, but the phrase you're looking for is named after the others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John James
United States
Waterbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I aehv no adei ahtw eht aenrssw cdlou be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
Shouldn't the clue for #9 be "Orthanc and Barad-Dûr"? I mean, sure, your clue is technically right, but the phrase you're looking for is named after the others.

Yeah, but I wanted non-orcs to have a chance to figure it out...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bearcat89 wrote:
Can you figure out the one word answer?

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Johnsson
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoiler (click to reveal)
So, who did it?
whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jbrecken wrote:
Doom

We have a winner!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Alberg
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Whoopee Doopee, we have fun!
badge
You lost the game!
mbmbmbmbmb
DDEGJMOOU
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harmonica
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
Keep your lovin' brother happy!
mbmbmbmbmb
Who framed Roger Rabbit?

I don't know the answer, but nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Some dude
Netherlands
Groningen
There dismay took them, for at the gate was a guard of whom no tidings had yet gone forth.
flag msg tools
Swiftly the wolf grew, until he could creep into no den, but lay huge and hungry before the feet of Morgoth. There the fire and anguish of hell entered into him, and he became filled with a devouring spirit, tormented, terrible, and strong.
badge
Then swiftly all his inwards were filled with a flame of anguish, and the Silmaril seared his accursed flesh. Howling he led before them, and the walls of the valley of the Gate echoes with the clamour of his torment.
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:

Only in the movies, btw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anfauglir wrote:
wmshub wrote:

Only in the movies, btw.

What??? No, in the books. "The Two Towers," the book, is so named because it deals mostly with the relationship between Orthac and Barad-Dûr. Minas Tirith is only talked about, and Minas Morgul doesn't appear at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
The Cthulhu player, not the Football player.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Which Two Towers?

Originally, Tolkien had meant The Lord of the Rings to be a single book, rather than a trilogy. When The Lord of the Rings came to be published in the 1950's, paper was still in short supply after the Second World War, meaning that it could only practically be produced as three separate volumes. The middle volume of the three contains so many varied lines of action that Tolkien seems to have found some trouble naming it. In his own words:

"I am not at all happy about the title 'the Two Towers'. It must if there is any real reference in it to Vol II refer to Orthanc and the Tower of Cirith Ungol. But since there is so much made of the basic opposition of the Dark Tower and Minas Tirith, that seems very misleading."
The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien No 143, dated 1954

Tolkien also considered at least five other combinations of the towers of Barad-dûr, Cirith Ungol, Minas Morgul, Minas Tirith and Orthanc, and it seems that he never settled on a definitive identity for the eponymous towers. (If you haven't read the book, don't be surprised that you haven't heard of the towers of Cirith Ungol or Minas Morgul. In the movie version of the trilogy, the story of Cirith Ungol has been moved to The Return of the King, and Minas Morgul gets only a fleeting mention in The Fellowship of the Ring.)

http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/twotowers.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
radynski wrote:
Quote:
Which Two Towers?

Originally, Tolkien had meant The Lord of the Rings to be a single book, rather than a trilogy. When The Lord of the Rings came to be published in the 1950's, paper was still in short supply after the Second World War, meaning that it could only practically be produced as three separate volumes. The middle volume of the three contains so many varied lines of action that Tolkien seems to have found some trouble naming it. In his own words:

"I am not at all happy about the title 'the Two Towers'. It must if there is any real reference in it to Vol II refer to Orthanc and the Tower of Cirith Ungol. But since there is so much made of the basic opposition of the Dark Tower and Minas Tirith, that seems very misleading."
The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien No 143, dated 1954

Tolkien also considered at least five other combinations of the towers of Barad-dûr, Cirith Ungol, Minas Morgul, Minas Tirith and Orthanc, and it seems that he never settled on a definitive identity for the eponymous towers. (If you haven't read the book, don't be surprised that you haven't heard of the towers of Cirith Ungol or Minas Morgul. In the movie version of the trilogy, the story of Cirith Ungol has been moved to The Return of the King, and Minas Morgul gets only a fleeting mention in The Fellowship of the Ring.)

http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/twotowers.html

H'mm, reading the book, it seemed obvious to me where the name came from - Saruman and Sauron in their two towers, plotting together, as some of the fellowship gets involved in a battle with one tower and the other part of the fellowship is moving closer and closer to the other tower. But I guess Tolkien didn't see it that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
The Cthulhu player, not the Football player.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I find the whole discussion really interesting. I originally intended to post more in my initial reply but then I fell into an endless internet hole on that site. I swear, that site is worse than tvtropes or wikipedia for me. I could just read articles and click on links all day. I'm sure I have in the past.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.