Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephane Lebeau
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
During play tonight, I had used my Lucky Charm already, had the Mute hard knock, so could not use my Speech token, and had played all of the cards in my hand to No Man's Land.

Am I then forced to Withdraw on my next turn? I'm assuming so, but we were playing that a player who had played all of their cards was done, and no Withdrawal was possible or required, and I think that was wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the other options are not possible, you must withdraw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

StephaneLebeau wrote:
... but we were playing that a player who had played all of their cards was done, and no Withdrawal was possible or required,...

I must admit that I'm a little curious as to how that particular interpretation of the rules came to be? (I'm studying what it takes to write good rulebooks, so am fascinated by how players mis-interpret written rules).

Anyway, Gillum hit the nail on the head. Here's the reference from the rulebook if you want to take it back to your group to show them:

From page 6: "On their turn, if they haven't withdrawn yet, each player chooses a single Action from one of the following: [Play a card, Use a Good Luck Charm, Make a Speech, Withdraw]"

Thusly, per page 6, the four actions listed on that same page are the only things you can possibly do on your turn. So per your example, the only action left for you to choose from was to Withdraw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"That particular interpretation" comes from people not actually reading the rules and paying attention.

Like a piece of tech, many don't want to bother with the instruction manual and just find the "on" button and expect to intuit it from then on. Or declare it "broken" and house rule the situation.

Somehow posting questions here seems more productive than the old-fashioned way of seeing whether things are already answered in the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

kduke wrote:
"That particular interpretation" comes from people not actually reading the rules and paying attention.

Yes, I agree. That's usually my first reaction as well. But publically, I always want to give the benefit of the doubt. Personally, I always read the entire rulebook before setting-up any game, and even then I occasionally miss something myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.