Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Campbell
United States
Excelsior
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My game group played Indonesia for the first time last weekend. One comment we made at the end of the game was how insanely fiddly the operations/shipping phase was.

As I was perusing the rules last night, I came to realize that we may have been playing it wrong.

Here’s how we played it:
Player A operates a company and uses a shipping line with Hull-3. He ships twice over one particular ship with two different plantations—we marked the ship with two coins. Player B operates his company and uses the same ship to transport one product—we added a third coin. Player C operates their plantation but cannot use the same ship because it has reached its capacity of 3.

Here’s how I think it should have been played:

Player A operates a company and uses a shipping line with Hull-3. He ships twice over one particular ship with two different plantations—we mark the ship with two coins.

The owner of the shipping line receives the two coins when Player A is through operating.

All coins have been cleared and the ships are reset for Player B.

Player B operates his company and uses the same ship to transport one product—we mark it with one coin.

The owner of the shipping line receives the coin when Player B is through operating.

All coins have been cleared and the ships are reset for Player C.

Can anyone confirm my rules interpretation?

Were we playing it wrong? I’m pretty sure we were. It just didn’t feel right.

I gotta tell you, when the hull capacities got up to 4 we were running out nickels, we were using pennies and finally poker chips to mark the “closed” ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bryan
United States
Barbourville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Major Sholto wrote:

Here’s how I think it should have been played:

Player A operates a company and uses a shipping line with Hull-3. He ships twice over one particular ship with two different plantations—we mark the ship with two coins.

The owner of the shipping line receives the two coins when Player A is through operating.

All coins have been cleared and the ships are reset for Player B.

Player B operates his company and uses the same ship to transport one product—we mark it with one coin.

The owner of the shipping line receives the coin when Player B is through operating.

All coins have been cleared and the ships are reset for Player C.

Can anyone confirm my rules interpretation?

Were we playing it wrong? I’m pretty sure we were. It just didn’t feel right.

I gotta tell you, when the hull capacities got up to 4 we were running out nickels, we were using pennies and finally poker chips to mark the “closed” ships.

That is the way you should have played it. Also it resets after each COMPANY not player, there are multiple rounds of players activating one company each.

Hope this helps

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You were playing it wrong. The shipping companies reset after each plantation company runs.

I note the cities don't reset. Their limit is over the entire turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Campbell
United States
Excelsior
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! I love this site.

That was fast. Thanks.

We were operating companies correctly, one company per player going around in turn order.

Thanks for the quick clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael, we made the same mistake (even after two of us had read the rules) the first few times we played. The rules could have done with some more pertinent and detailed examples.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor Haag
Canada
Kitchener/Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DarrellKH wrote:
The rules could have done with some more pertinent and detailed examples.

I agree; the rules are reasonably clear and well written, but they could indeed have used more pertinent and detailed examples. It took us four or five games before we realized that when a company operates, the hull player rating applies to each individual boat in the shipping company used, rather than the shipping company as a whole.

That is, if you have four rice tokens to ship, you're shipping over one company with hull 2, and you have two boats available next to your plantation (because the plantation spans two areas), then you can ship two tokens over one boat, and two tokens over the other boat.

For a long time, we were playing that only two tokens in this example could be shipped because the hull 2 represented the shipping capacity of the entire company.

This made shipping companies much, much less attractive than they should be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Jamet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DarrellKH wrote:
Michael, we made the same mistake (even after two of us had read the rules) the first few times we played. The rules could have done with some more pertinent and detailed examples.

It's popular. I did the same error. Two words missed in 10 pages of rules and the game is completely broken!

Pyjam.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.