Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/in-texas-hill-country-a-land-rus...

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Everywhere in that Austin-San Antonio corridor is being developed, and not just for the rich. The tech boom that has exploded Austin's economy has been going on for decades, and that means lots of new people moving to southwest Texas. Hopefully, it will not change San Antonio and Austin, two of the best cities in the country.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
Everywhere in that Austin-San Antonio corridor is being developed, and not just for the rich. The tech boom that has exploded Austin's economy has been going on for decades, and that means lots of new people moving to southwest Texas. Hopefully, it will not change San Antonio and Austin, two of the best cities in the country.

Heh....I don't know much about San Atononio, but Austin has gone dramatically downhill in the last generation.

Very sad; it used to be a place that was Real Texas. Not so much anymore.

Interesting to hear about these developments though. Something similar, though I don't think it's as widespread, is happening in our Wet Valley here in Colorado.

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I would say that Dallas is far less "Real Texan" than Austin ever thought about being. And to be fair, Austin as the seat of state government and a major university town, had the well-earned reputation of being "different" than the rest of Texas, so I'm not sure when it was ever really "Real Texan."

San Antonio, on the other hand, I think has improved tremendously. It has done well to overcome the loss of major military bases, and as someone who lived there in the 1960s, the Downtown Riverwalk is amazing, certainly better than the stink hole I remember where people only went to buy drugs, get a hooker, or end up with a shiv in their guts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferretman wrote:

Very sad; it used to be a place that was Real Texas. Not so much anymore.

I believe that is what makes it "best".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.