Popular Tags: [View All]
Zen Man
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I keep seeing artistic influences of Rackham in this game and other CMON titles

Am I alone? Do they use the same artist and sculptures?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm fairly certain that Guillotine games was founded by former Rackham employees.

From what I can tell, they seem to be using the same sculptors at the very least. It could be they're using the same artists as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cain
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
The Evil-Do That I Do-Do
mbmbmb
I believe Édouard Guiton got his break with Rackham, and has since branched out especially after working with Dust Games, and has now found quite a bit of popularity with CMON, and it is well deserved. I have been following his work in the industry since Arcana. He definitely has a unique style that I love.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zen Man
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
lastalchemist wrote:
I believe Édouard Guiton got his break with Rackham, and has since branched out especially after working with Dust Games, and has now found quite a bit of popularity with CMON, and it is well deserved. I have been following his work in the industry since Arcana. He definitely has a unique style that I love.

Yes it is a beautiful art style and that is quirky and sort of alternative fantasy like.

I'm going to just keep tabs on this game for right now. See where it leads.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Confrontation. Now there was a fun game! Sweet miniatures and my gaming group had a blast with it. Then they created a brand new rule set that wasn't even remotely like the original and moved from amazing metal miniatures to passable prepainted plastic. yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should realize that CMON is mostly the publisher. They do not design the games. They do the financing, they manage the production, they do the logistics. Maybe they take some part in the design, but the bulk of the design is done by various studios, like Guillotine Games (Zombicide, Massive Darkness, etc) or Second Gate (B-Sieged), or independent designers, such as Eric Lang (Blood Rage, The Others, etc).

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
QorDaq H'Nter
msg tools
tlhIngan QujwI'
badge
vay' DaneHbogh yIchargh!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ironically, I am not much of a fan of the art style for the GG stuff, at least not the 2d character art. The minis transform well and don't reflect the odd 2D art for me--in general.

Massive Darkness, is the worst by far. I understand wanting to make sure that the branding is unique for each line of games, but the 2D character art is probably my least favorite thing about MD to date, followed closely by the silly name. Pointy hats and Chaos Dwarves indeed.

But I really love the games from GG and CMoN as a team so far, and will continue to support them so long as the game-play quality remains high (by my standards anyway).

And to be clear, I get that art is highly subjective, so all of the above is meant to express my take on it and in no way reflects on my opinion of those that like this style. Other than to say, you're wrong of course...*Smirk*...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jenkins
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
designer
Thanee wrote:
You should realize that CMON is mostly the publisher. They do not design the games. They do the financing, they manage the production, they do the logistics. Maybe they take some part in the design, but the bulk of the design is done by various studios, like Guillotine Games (Zombicide, Massive Darkness, etc) or Second Gate (B-Sieged), or independent designers, such as Eric Lang (Blood Rage, The Others, etc).

Bye
Thanee

Yes, this is an important point! A sculptor or illustrator can do a lot of work for these games and never have contact with anyone at CMON.

Regarding the original post: yes, there is a direct line between Rackham and Guillotine, not only the illustrator and sculptors, but the producers and developers as well.

Please allow me to ramble here for a moment with my opinion Rackham and Confrontation marked a big change in miniatures for tabletop games. Rackham introduced a level of artistry that was unprecedented, turning what were once simply elaborate tokens into legitimate pieces of art. I do not want say that sculptors creating miniatures before Rackham were not creating art, but the degree that Rackham sculptors did it meant that figures for tabletop games could be placed and evaluated within the realm of figurative art. It really marked a large change in what we expect from tabletop figures.

After Rackham exploded, while this was a tragic event, it meant that all of the talent concentrated in that entity would be spread out and become available for hire (freelance). Since then, the bar has irreversibly been raised and many companies are producing figures on par or (arguably better) than the Rackham figures. Those ex-Rackham sculptors are still working and, while they were certainly good then, they are even better now. The benefit for us is now we have games like Kingdom Death, Massive Darkness, Conan, Blood Rage, and so many more that can all trace artistic heritage back to Rackham.

Anyway, I will always think lovingly of the Rackham days, but I have to admit that this is an even better time to be an enthusiast
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it really was a shame what happened with Rackham. Confrontation was sooo good!

But as you say, the talent is still there, ever improving, and now working at Guillotine Games, Monolith Games, and other studios.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jenkins
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
designer
Thanee wrote:
Yeah, it really was a shame what happened with Rackham. Confrontation was sooo good!

But as you say, the talent is still there, ever improving, and now working at Guillotine Games, Monolith Games, and other studios.

Bye
Thanee

Correct me if I am wrong, but I remember you from the old Rackham/Confrontation forums, yes? I forgot my handle then, maybe it was "ZombiesIncorporated".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven R
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely...I bought a second hand copy of Hybrid and it's expansion about a year ago along with about 80 other original Rackham Minis (metal). Still some of the best IMO...You can clearly see the same style and artistry in Massive Darkness. Also some of the Cadwallon games...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rackham had pretty much, hands down, the best metal minis I have ever seen. I picked up a ton of figures and managed to round up some more when the went under. It's too bad someone didn't revive this game. The skirmish rules were excellent. Still have tons to paint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam ko
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Confrontation is what made me start playing and painting miniatures games, I immediatly wanted them the first time I saw their miniatures.

By the way, there's still an active french community for confrontation. We play a modified version of the 3rd edition (the last before they ruined it with plastic), with new profiles created frequently by the community and there are several tournaments each year in various regions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MichaelJSculptor wrote:
Correct me if I am wrong, but I remember you from the old Rackham/Confrontation forums, yes? I forgot my handle then, maybe it was "ZombiesIncorporated".

Might be. Though, I have been more active in the german forums in my Confrontation time.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jenkins
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
designer
Brian T wrote:
It's too bad someone didn't revive this game. The skirmish rules were excellent. Still have tons to paint.

I agree, it was my favorite game to play as well as paint and collect. I really liked how it handled activations and placing combat dice. Also, the atmosphere and fiction were really great. Everything Cadwallon was drenched in character.

swr66 wrote:
Absolutely...I bought a second hand copy of Hybrid and it's expansion about a year ago along with about 80 other original Rackham Minis (metal). Still some of the best IMO...You can clearly see the same style and artistry in Massive Darkness. Also some of the Cadwallon games...

I have this game and I am STILL in love with it. From my perspective, it was the first big boardgame with gorgeous dungeon tiles and spectacular miniatures, which is something that we see a lot now, many years later. If someone wants to redesign Hybrid, I will buy the rights to produce it and sculpt all the miniatures! laugh

Oh boy, you have me all riled up...

Sorry, I realize this is the Massive Darkness forum and not my own personal nostalgia forum, so I will return to my cave. Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven R
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MichaelJSculptor wrote:
Brian T wrote:
It's too bad someone didn't revive this game. The skirmish rules were excellent. Still have tons to paint.

I agree, it was my favorite game to play as well as paint and collect. I really liked how it handled activations and placing combat dice. Also, the atmosphere and fiction were really great. Everything Cadwallon was drenched in character.

swr66 wrote:

I have this game and I am STILL in love with it. From my perspective, it was the first big boardgame with gorgeous dungeon tiles and spectacular miniatures, which is something that we see a lot now, many years later. If someone wants to redesign Hybrid, I will buy the rights to produce it and sculpt all the miniatures! laugh

Oh boy, you have me all riled up...

Sorry, I realize this is the Massive Darkness forum and not my own personal nostalgia forum, so I will return to my cave. Thank you!

Interestingly, I'm redesigning 'Hybrid' to play 'cooperatively'...an AI that responds to the combined characters actions which are preselected to avoid the dreaded 'alpha' player effect. The actions spend both time and energy (fatigue)...the AI uses that which is spent to create random spawning...it's actually quite elegant. But back to MD...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Martinez
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's funny that you mention about reviving the game. I thought Cool Mini or Not were supposed to release Confrontation: Phoenix Edition a few years back. What happened to that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam ko
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Elmaskador75 wrote:
It's funny that you mention about reviving the game. I thought Cool Mini or Not were supposed to release Confrontation: Phoenix Edition a few years back. What happened to that?
Probably because they made Wrath of Kings and thougth that they shouldn't release a competing game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.