Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Ramsey
Canada
North Delta
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Screws fall out all the time. The world is an imperfect place.
mbmbmbmbmb
Granted, I've only played a couple of times now, but I had an ah-ha moment last night that my opponent (Empire) wasn't very happy about.

I sent a Rebel leader into an Imperial system that had an absolutely HUGE fleet, to attempt "Misdirection" which, if successful, would allow another of my leaders to complete another mission unopposed. To try and stop Misdirection, (not knowing what mission they'd be giving a pass to) the Empire would have to oppose it, thereby preventing the aforementioned huge fleet from moving (due to the presence of the opposing leader) and basically delaying their fleet move for at least one turn.

Maybe it's an obvious point that I didn't see before, but forcing your opponent to tie-up their units on the board just to oppose possibly low-value missions, seems like a dirty (but legal) trick!

Please tell me I'm not missing something...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gergo Tothmihaly
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
Mage Tools for Android
mbmbmb
Not a dirty trick at all. This is/can be a very important part of both sides' strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Alexander
United States
Saline
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty common tactic. Not a dirty trick at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig C
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's an important part of the Rebels' strategy. Whenever possible, attempt missions in systems that have fleets you would like the Empire to not move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally legal. And probably a bad idea on the Empire's part to bunch their fleet up like that, for that very reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, that's not a dirty trick, it's the game functioning as intended. In fact I would say it's usually a critical part of the Rebels' strategy.

The whole fun of the game is being forced to make tough decisions with incomplete information (and creating those situations for your opponent), at least for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
This is pretty standard, as is the typical Imperial response of having a "Capture Rebel Operative" mission on standby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ramsey
Canada
North Delta
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Screws fall out all the time. The world is an imperfect place.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone. Good to know we're playing it right. Kinda wish I'd discovered this move sooner though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VanMark wrote:
Thanks everyone. Good to know we're playing it right. Kinda wish I'd discovered this move sooner though!

Because of the "Capture Rebel Operative" Mission, you should not send anyone important.

If the Imperials think that you will do this kind of move they can leave Vader in the leader pool and assign Tage to Capture Operative.

Vader can be played in response to your mission (if it is worth stopping or your leader is a good one, such as Leia or Dodonna), then on their turn counter punch with capture Operative. Since both Tage and Vader are in the system, the Imperials are going to roll 4 dice for the capture roll. It is not a guaranteed capture, but the odds are very much in their favor (especially if the Rebels don't have any leaders left in their pool with Spec Ops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Büttner-Zimmermann
Germany
München
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Wiggle It!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
VanMark wrote:

Why? I think it is great, when you discover more and more tricks, moves and specials to use in a game - so it stays interesting!

I love to do exactly what you described - it is a win-win situation for me: Either I can execute a mission unopposed - or I bind the imperial fleet!
Perfect!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel van der pol
Netherlands
Leiden
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Almecho wrote:
VanMark wrote:

Why? I think it is great, when you discover more and more tricks, moves and specials to use in a game - so it stays interesting!

I love to do exactly what you described - it is a win-win situation for me: Either I can execute a mission unopposed - or I bind the imperial fleet!
Perfect!

There are loads and loads of tricks the Rebels can pull to tempt the Empire into locking their Fleet into position. If the Empire opposes the mission, then that Fleet will not be moving for a turn. If the Empire doesn't oppose the mission, the Rebels can succeed at a pretty nasty mission. Choices Choices Choices.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Minsinger
United States
Lebanon
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
This is one of the MOST important Rebel tactics. Use it, abuse it. :)

Though it's not without risk, as others have pointed out; the Empire can setup a capture situation that you'll have a hard time breaking out of if you're not careful!

-Will

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
All Hail Lelouch
mbmbmbmb
jackalope wrote:
This is pretty standard, as is the typical Imperial response of having a "Capture Rebel Operative" mission on standby.

In this specific example most of the time people send Crix Madene to do misdirection. And he's rather difficult to capture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
David Umstattd wrote:
jackalope wrote:

In this specific example most of the time people send Crix Madene to do misdirection. And he's rather difficult to capture.

Mandene only has two Spec Op icons (assuming he is even taken as a leader choice). Vader in the leader pool plus whoever is assigned to the capture should take him out fairly easily.

Probably not worthy of thumbing your own post over that example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.