Subject: Let's brainstorm! A faster game - variant.. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steye
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yesterday I played Shogun for the first time in quite some time. It's a really great game. You and me both know: that tower is awesome! It's one of the few games I rate 8 (or higher).

So why is it we only play it a few times a year? I fear it's mostly the time it takes to play: at least 2 hours to play just 6 rounds. We used a setup variant yesterday, in which all players were dealt random areas. Then we placed our armies one by one. This made the setup a bit faster. Any other ideas?

Do you have a variant to make the game faster?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Beaumont
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Why does this game need to be faster?

Why is there such a huge push to make games faster? This games moves at a decent pace. I agree some games truly feel like pulling teeth. dominant species made me want to punch children and burn down people's houses but this game moves quite well.

maybe your group just needs to get it's shit together and focus more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb
RockstarSuperVillain wrote:

Did you read the original post? He explains pretty clearly why he'd like the game to play faster.

Why is there such a huge push to make games faster? This games moves at a decent pace. I agree some games truly feel like pulling teeth. dominant species made me want to punch children and burn down people's houses but this game moves quite well.

There's a lot of hostility in your reply. Are you okay?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Beaumont
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
no hostility at all. that's my general feelings towards this.

rsv out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Tete Montoliu - Tootie's Tempo
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't read it as hostility towards the O.P.; more like lamenting the direction things seem to be heading in society generally. I agree that a lot of people seem to be in a hurry these days. I think in part it's a consequence of over-saturation with media (people spend an enormous amount of time looking at screens) but I think it's socio-economic as well. People have to work more hours to earn a living now than they did when I was young; the middle class is shrinking and the percentage of people living in poverty is growing. People working two jobs to make ends meet actually don't have as much time for leisure activity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steye
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

I am not here to debate whether or not the game needs to be faster. I am here because I'd like to find a way to play it faster.

If I would like to make a variant which uses a purple powerpony, DND miniatures as leaders, a saboteur, Axis & Allies tanks, powerplants, or whatever.. the subject is not why, but how. If you don't like variants, because you like the game as is, I'd simply stay out of the variants forum..

But back on topic: just 6 rounds in over 2 hours. If the rounds were faster, you might be able to play three years instead of just two. Which would be fun.

As to your suggestion of "getting our shit together and focus more": We played the game with 5 players (3 newbies) in 130 minutes. Which is 20 minutes faster than the average game of Shogun according to BGG. So, I'd dare say: we have our shit together and we focus. But thank you kindly for your warm suggestion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
redOne El Big Daddy
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do like Jacks approach which can be found in the following thread:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1334717/encourage-quick-prog...

We tend to resolve particular actions simultaneously, especially the ones where the playing order doesn't matter (e.g. taxation on rice and gold)...

Good gaming and take care,

the redOne
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steye
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This seems like a great idea, thanks! I will try it next time we play!

Resolving actions simultaneously is something we already do for:

- Taxation
- Building theaters etc
- Adding units
- Add 1 unit, move the army (if Attack A and B have already been resolved)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Townshend
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We also complete actions simultaneously, _except_ for:
- troop movement
- move/battle a
- move/battle b

Otherwise, once everyone knows the rules it doesn't matter if we simultaneously buy theaters, temples, castles, armies, tax, rice. The only exception is if multiple players will have a revolt due to tax/rice. If that's the case we do that in order.

If time is really going to be short, I preset the game according to the starting setup before anyone comes over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.