Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Pierce
United States
salinas
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but theres a stupidly easy way to suss out what characters you are getting in those blind bags before you hit the checkout isle at Target.
Get yourself a nice thin piece of paper (from a tiny notebook or something) lay it flat against the blind bag right over the die you want to check, and take a pencil (wooden not mechanical) and evenly shade over the die, so you end up picking up the imprint from the die face onto the paper above it.
You can practice with an old blind bag you know you already have lying around.
The hardest part about this is if you've got an energy face, you have to try rotating the die in the bag without bending anything.

Obviously theres no way of telling what the rarity is for most of them, but I successfully avoided getting at least 3 mary janes I didn't need. (and I got another adorable She-Hulk & Miss Marvel)

PRO-TIP- do this while shopping with a friend so you can just be hanging out with the cart while they shop and you don't just look like a psycho wandering around target scribbling on tiny papers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom S
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So I just tried this with some unopened AvX packs that I have and here are the impressions.

It works! For the most part anyways. Some of them no matter what i can't get a good read on them, and as you said its a pain to flip them on the energy side. But it's definitely something. Reminds me of the old school trick for pokemon cards that the foil card packs are heavier and you could just weigh the packs to see if they had a rare foil in there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Pierce
United States
salinas
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah, there are a few really difficult full-body silhouettes in the civil war packs, luckily all the ones I want are pretty easy to read.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You just convinced me to never buy random boosters. The shenanigans some people will go to simply take my breath away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom S
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Blue Gremlin wrote:
You just convinced me to never buy random boosters. The shenanigans some people will go to simply take my breath away.

You must have never played any ccgs before, this is pretty common. In matter of fact its pretty common for collecting in general as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been playing ccgs for years. This is unethical and shady, no two ways about it.

I will only order sealed boxes direct from the seller at this point. And if there are any shenanigans I will immediately proceed with a charge back. I have a zero tolerance for being ripped off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom S
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Blue Gremlin wrote:
I have been playing ccgs for years. This is unethical and shady, no two ways about it.

I will only order sealed boxes direct from the seller at this point. And if there are any shenanigans I will immediately proceed with a charge back. I have a zero tolerance for being ripped off.

Oh ok I see what you mean. You just don't want to grab 10 packs and have all Mary Jane's in them cause someone else bought out the others. Fair enough. My FLGS grabs the packs for you so you can't game the system as easily, but unfortunately there's always people looking for a way to put odds in their favor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We Playthrough
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Blue Gremlin wrote:

If you think these are shenanigans, go check out what lengths people go to for Magic booster box mapping. That will really make you disappointed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Pierce
United States
salinas
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Blue Gremlin wrote:

Are you seriously insinuating that there is some kind of ethical problem with outsmarting a single element of a blind bag system? As if this somehow taints the integrity of the game when from what I hear on a tournament level everyone is using a very specific set of cards anyway. You think they kept buying blind bags until they got that black widow?

Point A: there is no way to tell the rarity of the cards themselves.

Point B: even if you are only looking for a specific die, a typical collector is going to stop at around 4 anyway because thats the max number of that character you can field.

Point c: as great as this game is, I haven't met anyone who plays it besides me and the one person Ive managed to win over. There is NEVER a shortage of booster packs, except when WotC literally comes and reclaims the booster boxes.

POINT D: It's time consuming and makes you look like a weirdo in the store, so theres that too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.