BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Spyfall or Codenames? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robbert Vervuurt
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I'm looking to buy a party-deduction-game and I keep on landing on both Spyfall and Codenames.

In the basics, they kinda seem similar, with a spy-theme and quite similar categories.

I know that Codenames is nominated as Spiel des Jahres, so I'm kinda convinced that'll be the better of the two, but maybe someone else thinks I should go for Spyfall?

My family and I often play Werewolf when we are all together, so it would be nice to buy the game that fits best with 6-8 players.

Hope someone can convince me to buy one or the other, since I can't make a choice and are therefore not buying any of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does your family like word games? Then Codenames should be a hit.

A lot of people feel pressure in Spyfall to think fast - you can be put on the spot, and that doesnt seem to appeal to some.

They are very different experiences I find - Spyfall being "one against many", and Codenames being just one team against another.

Codenames can seem slower - it can take a while for some to think of good clues, and there isnt much to do while they think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bryden
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Codenames has more universal appeal to gamers and non-gamers.

Spyfall seems to fit a specific "community" of gamers. Only consider this for a tight group who enjoy sitting about jawing at each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have both-- Codenames is the more versatile game and plays better with varied groups. I still like Spyfall and it is superior in situations where you don't want to be hunkered over a table like sitting around a fire or travelling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Bouvier
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is almost the default reply around these parts, but:

Get both! They are super cheap, and they are both excellent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbert Vervuurt
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Problem is that they're not super cheap in Denmark But on Amazon they're a lot more affordable, so will buy there when I made my decision.

Thanks for the help guys, still hoping for more tips and experiences

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Codenames.

Its a great game that becomes stupid fun with the right group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're liking spyfall, also check out A Fake Artist Goes to New York. This is basically "Spyfall Drawing". Also it's very simple to make your own copy with some bargain store colouring pens and some paper, there are no cards or other special equipment needed to play. really fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
Buy them both, you dummy!

If I only could get one I guess it would be Codenames. I've had people tell me they don't enjoy Spyfall because it's too stressful! Hilarious!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are pretty different; I think Codenames is a much better game, and that it also has a lot more general appeal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spyfall is the most group dependent game I have played. It might work, but odds are there's going to be plenty of awkwardness. The fact that a game like Codenames is in the Top 20 speaks volumes for how good it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C.
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Because I served, I will resist
mbmbmbmbmb
Neither. Times Up! devil

Actually, I haven't played Spyfall yet even though I own it. It looks interesting with the right crowd. I'll ditto others that it probably requires certain people and doesn't have mass appeal.

As for Codenames, I've played it three times in two different sessions so far and I'm not impressed. I know I'm in the minority, but for me it's a deeply flawed game because it combines "know the judge" (e.g. Apples to Apples, Cards Against Humanity, Dixit, etc.) with team play. And that combo is not fun to me at all. I'd rather play Times Up! and be laughing and enjoying myself than being responsible for my team losing turn after turn because I can see three or four possibilities whenever the clue giver says "word 2."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C.
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Because I served, I will resist
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
Spyfall is the most group dependent game I have played. It might work, but odds are there's going to be plenty of awkwardness. The fact that a game like Codenames is in the Top 20 speaks volumes for how good it is.

I finally get to use the counter argument that has been used against me when I've made such a comment: Confirmation bias.

The ranking is based on the demographics of this site just as with any game. "Good" is relative. Will the OP enjoy the game? Probably. But let's not start saying that BGG represents the world and defines "good" because it most definitely does not.

It's sort of like saying, "Movie x is great because it won the Best Picture award." Doesn't really tell the person inquiring anything about whether they would like it or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I love codenames, and so do most people I've seen play it as they always request it again or talk about it positively after.

I think it depends on whom you play the games with tbh. I've played spyfall with people I didn't know very well and it can be really awkward if you're not comfortable lol! I would imagine it would be far more enjoyable with a close group of friends.

I think this one becomes a little awkward as you have to kind of role play and answer questions shot at you as if you were the character you're playing. If you're wanting a hidden role type game and play with various different groups that don't all know each other, then i would opt for one where you don't have to do this mini-acting lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Bang the dice game was a hidden role game that went down better with the same group if you want something like this

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
travvller wrote:
matthean wrote:

I finally get to use the counter argument that has been used against me when I've made such a comment: Confirmation bias.

The ranking is based on the demographics of this site just as with any game. "Good" is relative. Will the OP enjoy the game? Probably. But let's not start saying that BGG represents the world and defines "good" because it most definitely does not.

It's sort of like saying, "Movie x is great because it won the Best Picture award." Doesn't really tell the person inquiring anything about whether they would like it or not.

I'll wait for your list of party games which have made the Top 50. This isn't "wins the best award for a year." This is "we haven't seen anything like this, period." Also, I have played both a number of times, and Codenames is by far the better game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My vote would be for Codenames. Spyfall has a social deduction aspect that not all personality types feel comfortable with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Strickland
United States
The Woodlands
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spyfall. Pass on Codenames and wait for Codenames Pictures to come out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nancy Noet
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I like Codenames better with 4 people. Six at most. It loses something as a "party game" for me. You often have to give pretty obscure clues, and that becomes frustrating when you have to give the clues to several different people. It's much more fun and interesting when you have just one or two teammates that you know well enough to work with.

Spyfall is better in that respect. The more the merrier. Lots of laughs, too.

Also consider Mafia de Cuba. I think it's even better for a group your size (and even larger).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Get neither. Codenames Pictures sounds good.

And there's also going to be a Spyfall 2. It comes with 2 spies in every location, and there will be 28 new locations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
If you're liking spyfall, also check out A Fake Artist Goes to New York. This is basically "Spyfall Drawing". Also it's very simple to make your own copy with some bargain store colouring pens and some paper, there are no cards or other special equipment needed to play. really fun.

Nearly mentioned this too - its just amazing fun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.