Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mb
I just rolled another FTL breach critical. I've had about 4-5 of these, when statistically it should have been around 2 by now. It's become so bad that I don't even mark the counter until after I roll the dice because it just seems so likely it's gonna blow up.

Anyway, the rules question...

My base just suffered a critical 12, but the thematic description is "FTL core breach." My base doesn't have FTL, so what's that about? I blew the base up anyway, it seemed the honourable thing to do. I guess it still has a power generating core, just not used for FTL, but just checking with the Talon rules community.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space intentionally left blank]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slashing wrote:
I just rolled another FTL breach critical. I've had about 4-5 of these, when statistically it should have been around 2 by now. It's become so bad that I don't even mark the counter until after I roll the dice because it just seems so likely it's gonna blow up.

Anyway, the rules question...

My base just suffered a critical 12, but the thematic description is "FTL core breach." My base doesn't have FTL, so what's that about? I blew the base up anyway, it seemed the honourable thing to do. I guess it still has a power generating core, just not used for FTL, but just checking with the Talon rules community.
Since rule 8.5 clearly says which critical hits are ignored for bases I'd say that it should indeed be destroyed if a 12 is rolled.

You are right that it doesn't quite mesh thematically, but I like your explanation of it simply being a direct hit to the power plant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
Apollo Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You both are correct :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe they store some spare FTL cores at the base.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mbmb
Yes, it can breach.

The FTL is really just a modified NFTL, which is the powerplant inside all the ships and bases in the game. In fact, for the ships, the same drive is used for both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.